Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

V for Vendetta - review thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

V for Vendetta - review thread

Old 02-08-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If you don't have a little knowledge of the source, it can look cheesy.
Im pretty sure 99.999% of all audiences will not have knowledge of the source
Old 02-08-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

You're probably right. People will either buy the concept or they won't. I think it will have to be an acquired element.
Old 02-08-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
Films shouldn't be as dumb as their audience.
Old 02-08-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm going to make sweet sweet love to this movie.

Old 02-08-06, 01:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Looks interesting. But I'll wait for the dvd. Much cheaper to rent it than getting babysitters etc...
The first "review" sounds less like a review and more like a crybaby throwing a tantrum at losing political power.
Old 02-08-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

They'll probably have a vague idea in Britain.
Old 03-08-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bump as the release date draws near. I just finished the Graphic Novel today, and I thought it was quite good, but I'm an Alan Moore and Orwell fan so I'm biased. While I hope they keep the important elements in tact, I hope the movie doesn't retain too many of the book's subplots and keeps the plot a little easier to follow. I know what happened in the big picture at the end, but all of the little storylines that didn't deal directly with V kind of started to run together.
Old 03-08-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A bump as the release date draws near. I just finished the Graphic Novel today, and I thought it was quite good, but I'm an Alan Moore and Orwell fan so I'm biased. While I hope they keep the important elements in tact, I hope the movie doesn't retain too many of the book's subplots and keeps the plot a little easier to follow. I know what happened in the big picture at the end, but all of the little storylines that didn't deal directly with V kind of started to run together.
I just read it for the first time a couple weeks ago, too. I had the same reaction to all the side storylines as well. Since I'm not so devoted to the original, I won't mind if they shuck some of the side stuff.

However, the ideas in the book are powerful, so hopefully they don't dilute those any.
Old 03-08-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course, not having knowledge of an obscure graphic novel does not make you dumb. On the other hand, having knowledge of V For Vendetta doesn't make you smart.

Last edited by Terrell; 03-08-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-08-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VERY excited about the release.

I'm going in with an open mind and hoping for a mind-blowing, philosophical sci-fi flick - but will be satisfied with a pure-blooded Matrix Bros. action production.
Old 03-08-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
VERY excited about the release.

I'm going in with an open mind and hoping for a mind-blowing, philosophical sci-fi flick - but will be satisfied with a pure-blooded Matrix Bros. action production.
I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy the action, but I'd be a little dissapointed if they didn't bring up the ideas in the graphic novel. It doesn't have to be a direct adaption, but why go through the trouble of adopting the source material to just use the costumes?
Old 03-08-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Wells
And it's probably safe to assume that V will anger a few rightie jerkwads....
Great review.
Old 03-09-06, 04:14 AM
Banned

excited for the movie, pissed they changed the ending to a dumbed down one, but from what i hear it's done pretty well.
Old 03-09-06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Audiences should be as dumb as their films.

As far as the ending, I'm not too concerned. I was a fan of this before it had an ending so for me both are tacked on. True, Moore wrote one of them, but by the time the reprints rolled around that was just a capper for me. The concept and the look are what had me from the start and it was many years before DC announced the re-issue and another year befor the ending came out.

Knowing the ending of the movie, I can say that I easily prefer Moore's, but that ending was so long in coming...well. I was in love with a story with no end for so long that I'm not really upset at all.
Old 03-09-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So in the original run it took several years to complete? Moore must write comics like Kevin Smith.
Old 03-10-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
Moore is a fairly slow writer, it took a year for the final issue of Watchmen to come out. But in this case, I think there was some issue with Warrior that prevented the series from being completed until it found a new home a DC.
Old 03-10-06, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Moore is a fairly slow writer, it took a year for the final issue of Watchmen to come out. But in this case, I think there was some issue with Warrior that prevented the series from being completed until it found a new home a DC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_vendetta

V for Vendetta was originally published between 1982 and 1985, in black and white, in Warrior, a British anthology comic. The strip was one of the most popular in the title and featured on several covers during the 26 issues of Warrior.

Moore and Lloyd initially conceived the series as a dark adventure strip influenced by British comic characters of the 1960s, as well as Night Raven, a Marvel UK strip which Lloyd had previously worked on with writer Steve Parkhouse. The name V for Vendetta was editor Dez Skinn's idea, as an homage to the IPC comic strips of the 1960s. Moore credits Lloyd with the idea of dressing V as Guy Fawkes.

When Warrior was cancelled in 1985 (with one completed episode unpublished due to the cancellation), several companies attempted to convince Moore and Lloyd to let them publish and complete the story. It was not until 1988 that DC Comics started a ten-issue series that reprinted the Warrior stories in colour, then continued the series to completion. The first new material appeared in issue #7, which included the unpublished episode that would have appeared in Warrior #27. Tony Weare drew one chapter ("Vincent") and contributed additional art to two others ("Valerie", "The Vacation"); Steve Whitaker and Siobhan Dodds worked as colourists on the entire series. The series was then collected as a graphic novel, published in the US by DC's Vertigo imprint (ISBN 0930289528) and in the UK by Titan Books (ISBN 1852862912).
Old 03-10-06, 12:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember hearing that (I think atleast) that moore was frustrated with hollywood, and wasn't going to acknowledge either this or the watchmen, has anyone heard anyhting about that recently. You would think if the movie does the book justice, he might be at least alittle enthusiastic of it (or not)...
Old 03-10-06, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
You would think if the movie does the book justice, he might be at least alittle enthusiastic of it (or not)...
It does, but he's not.

-JP
Old 03-10-06, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

Its pretty hypocritcal to consistantly license his work to be adapted to film and then consistantly disown the films.
Old 03-10-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by smw356
Its pretty hypocritcal to consistantly license his work to be adapted to film and then consistantly disown the films.
Does Moore actually control the rights or does DC?
Also, the life of rights can extend a while...by the time LXG was murdered, the rights for V might have already been out of his hands.
Old 03-11-06, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by clemente
Does Moore actually control the rights or does DC?
Also, the life of rights can extend a while...by the time LXG was murdered, the rights for V might have already been out of his hands.
Moore does not own the rights to Watchmen, V, or John Constantine. Hence the rage he directs.
He does own the rights to From Hell and LOEG- and since 20th Century settled a copyright infringement lawsuit against them (and Moore), he's gotten angrier.
Old 03-11-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts
Got a "We don't know the point, but it makes incoherence really entertaining. One of the most intriguing comic book movies to date." and two thumbs up from Ebert & Roeper.
Old 03-13-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, it seems they've dumbed the trailers down for audiences; I saw one on TV tonight with the stereotypical screaming rock song attached. Oh yay!
Old 03-13-06, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Well, it seems they've dumbed the trailers down for audiences; I saw one on TV tonight with the stereotypical screaming rock song attached. Oh yay!
Yeah. I saw it on the spanish channel and wondered if they were trying for a urban cultural approach and was like, "Huh?". Then I saw the english version with the same urban street music and was like, "What?".

I just saw a very long preview for it yesterday and I'm assuming that this one was actually using the score for V. Anyway, it sounded really, really good.

They need to tuck that Rage Against the Machine style stuff in the credits somewhere. It just doesn't fit the flick IMO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.