Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

V for Vendetta - review thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

V for Vendetta - review thread

Old 09-18-06, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Just watched this and I must say I really enjoyed it, however, one part had me puzzled...

Near the end when Evey is on the train, she's standing in front of the lever, and she looks at this red, rectangular device. The camera even does a close-up on it. I just couldn't remember what this object was. Didn't click for me or something. Could somebody fill me in? I'll post a couple of screen caps if that'll help...

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about the scene with the dominos, and he picks up a single one at the end. It's a domino, I'm a moron...
All of V's dominoes all fall, except one.

I think that domino represents her in the sense that she in the end stands up and doesn't falter or fall. She ends up pulling the handle on the train.
Old 09-18-06, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I'm not trying to change your view as much as enlighten you as to how others might think differently. The fact that we are able to have an intelligent debate over this as opposed to the typical "it blew," and "no it didn't, you're just an idiot" type approach illustrates just how deep an impact this movie can have.
Well put.
Old 09-18-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

True, the doctore expressed remorse, and V accepted her apology though he had already killed her when she did. However, she was the only one who really did express remorse at what she had done, while the others, evidently, did not. In short, when V killed her, he had no reason to think she would be any different from the others. If he was aware of her change one might argue that the fact the doctor didn't truly realize what was occurring in the camps is why V killed her in a "humane" way compared to the others.
Also, after a few viewings it becomes clear that V's captor's were not trying to "save" the country in any way, shape, or form, just tighten their grip upon it through inhumane means.

Im not sure V would have spared her if he could have, his intent was revenge, evne though she was remorseful, she had still wronged him...
Old 09-19-06, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I noticed this for the first time on DVD as well, the TV host, the little girl, and the lesbians were in the crowd for sure, I too took it as V was "everyone," and this uprising was the result of these peoples' actions as well as V's.they all had their part to play...
I loved the movie but am completely confused about this one scene. I'm a moron when it comes to this type of thing. I understand that V stood for "everyone" but if the people (the little girl, lesbian and tv host) died in the previous days/weeks/months....how could they be standing there to watch Parliament blow up?

BTW...I caught this on rental...Is there a special edition with more scenes or a bonus disc and is it worth getting?
Old 09-19-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I loved the movie but am completely confused about this one scene. I'm a moron when it comes to this type of thing. I understand that V stood for "everyone" but if the people (the little girl, lesbian and tv host) died in the previous days/weeks/months....how could they be standing there to watch Parliament blow up?

BTW...I caught this on rental...Is there a special edition with more scenes or a bonus disc and is it worth getting?
You need to view it less literally and more symbolically. Yes, they're dead, they're not really standing there in the crowd. But they helped make the present situation possible, and they are all united as one.

It's kinda like how Evey said that V was Edmond Dantez, her father, her mother, etc. A very literal person's brain might just blow on the spot! But of course she's not being literal when she says that...
Old 09-19-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know... "I am Spartacus" "I am Spartacus" "I am Spartacus".

A cornball ending to a pseudo-subversive flick. Verily.
Old 09-19-06, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
You need to view it less literally and more symbolically. Yes, they're dead, they're not really standing there in the crowd. But they helped make the present situation possible, and they are all united as one.

It's kinda like how Evey said that V was Edmond Dantez, her father, her mother, etc. A very literal person's brain might just blow on the spot! But of course she's not being literal when she says that...
Thank you!! I can now say that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie!!
Old 09-19-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Im not sure V would have spared her if he could have, his intent was revenge, evne though she was remorseful, she had still wronged him...

How did she wrong him? My guess is that it was when she left him with the bishop. He seemed legitimately hurt.
Old 09-19-06, 04:50 PM
Banned

How did she wrong him? My guess is that it was when she left him with the bishop. He seemed legitimately hurt.
I think the reference was to Delia Surridge, the female doctor at the camp, rather than Evey.
Old 11-05-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember remember the fifth of November.

Time to watch this again tonight, as it is Guy Fawkes night. One of my favorite movies.
Old 11-05-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Good idea!
Old 11-05-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I may be doing just that.
Old 11-05-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know my brother plans to watch it tonight.
Old 11-05-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cheers, King! Spectacular idea.

-Doc
Old 11-05-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just watched this a week ago and didn't even think about it. Maybe i'll watch it again.