Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

V for Vendetta - review thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

V for Vendetta - review thread

Old 08-05-06, 12:19 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched it on DVD tonight as well, and liked it even more than I did the first time I saw it in theaters.

Just a great movie, definitely still my favorite so far this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed my favorite.

It's just good on so many levels. Acting, dialog, cinematography, the story, the parallels with current events. It all just "clicks" for me.

Great movie.
Old 08-05-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Watched it on DVD tonight as well, and liked it even more than I did the first time I saw it in theaters.

Just a great movie, definitely still my favorite so far this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed my favorite.

It's just good on so many levels. Acting, dialog, cinematography, the story, the parallels with current events. It all just "clicks" for me.

Great movie.
Same goes for me.Bought it on Tuesday but saved it till last night to watch and enjoyed even more this time around and i loved it to begin with anyway.
Old 08-05-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be one of the few who found it rather boring. I was expecting more action. I'm glad I only rented it and not blind bought it.

Now that I know what to expect though, I may enjoy it more a second time.
Old 08-05-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I Netflixed this a few nights ago and enjoyed it. It felt very old school orwellian, and as such, the casting of John Hurt as the bad guy was inspired.
Old 08-05-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I just got the mental image of V with a Santa hat and bag. The Guy Fawkes mask still intact of course.

I noticed something last night at the end, and I'm not going to Spoilerize so....

SPOILER WARNING!!!

-When everyone unmasks, I noticed the little girl with glasses was one of them, and when I first saw the movie I thought :"Oh, the one who got shot must not have been her." However, I looked at some of the other people who unmasked, and they seemed to be characters who had died throughout the story of the movie in the name of what they believed. I think I also saw the TV show host (Edmund Dantes was it?),
The TV host was Gordon Deitrich, Edmund Dantes was the character from the Countof Monte Cristo.
Old 08-05-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Okay.
Old 08-06-06, 09:34 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watched this for the first time last night. What an excellent flick! I'm going to have to watch it again just to attempt to follow the massive alliteration of the letter v in his opening scene.
Old 08-06-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's V's introduction to Evey:

Voilą! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
Old 08-06-06, 05:46 PM
Banned

I netflixed just to make sure I could see it on Tuesday. Got my own copy in the mail on Thursday and I've watched it twice this weekend. I love Alan Moore's work and would have liked the cyanide wafer scene to be included...but I frikkin' LOVE this movie! Apologies to all the Moore purists, but it's not like they burned all the copies of the book to get the movie made. Just like LXG (I'm one of the very few who likes it) we still have the source material with a bonus, now, of a movie.

It reminds me of the movie Retribution (Complicity in the UK) in that they tried to take the source material and, while genuinely appreciating it, had to tweak it for the studios to even consider greenlighting it. These people jump through fucking hoops to bring this cool shit to the screen. If you want to piss on something, piss on Judge Dredd and I will happily join you. At least V kept his mask on.

I never, ever get sick of the part where
Spoiler:
he sticks the guy in his femoral artery, lifts him up by the blade and slams his other knife into the guy's torso in midair.

Good shit, Maynard.

Last edited by Kudama; 08-06-06 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally saw this, thought it was OK but not worthy of all the hype, at least from the way it's been hyped to me. I don't care for the Matrix or it's style, and actually forgot those fellas were involved until I saw it. I was pleased there wasn't more hokey slow-mo action scenes than there were, but those that were there really detracted from the interesting story. And while the story was interesting as far as big-studio-blockbuster fare goes, it was still somewhat intellectually insulting, and I think the original story could have been done much more justice in the hands of better filmmakers.

I guess I was really expecting a more high-brow and artistic film in the vein of Brazil or Blade Runner, but the cheesy acting and unnecessary action scenes definitely kept it from that. The guy who played "V" was excellent I thought, but John Hurt's character was laughable, and Natalie Portman was not the actress for that role. On an wide-release entertainment level it was good - better than most junk that comes out - but left me wondering what could have been.

Last edited by naitram; 08-07-06 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was disappointed in it, with all the hype i did buy it. It was ok but all in all it should have been just a rental for me. It was rather long and I did expect more from it.
Old 08-08-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Roger and Naitram. This was a blind buy for me. Definately didn't live up to the hype. It started off well and the ending was fitting but the middle just dragged. The whole dectective plot was dull and added absolutely nothing to the story. I'll give it a second chance but I was definately let down by this.
Old 08-08-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
The whole dectective plot was dull and added absolutely nothing to the story.

First, I think the detective was vital, since he was a long time party member that was just beginning to appreciate how twisted his party was.

Second, if not for him, how do you tell the backstory...by flashback?

At any rate, I watched it for the second time last night. The first time was at the dollar theater, and I loved it. This second time, I noticed a lot of little things that I'd missed the first time through...layers of orchestration by V that I hadn't picked up on.

This is a great film...probaby my favorite from last year now that I've had time to reflect.
Old 08-08-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a great film...probaby my favorite from last year now that I've had time to reflect.
Last year? I think this came out in March 2006, my friend.

But yeah I totally agree with you. If it wasn't for my overwhelming love for POTC2, this would definitely my favorite film of the year. It's still holding strong at #2!

Definitely the best comic book related film to come out in a long while.
Old 08-08-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Last year? I think this came out in March 2006, my friend.
For some reason, I was thinking it came out before my little trip to Iraq...guess it was after.

Anyway, you could change that to "the past year" and it would still stand.
Old 08-08-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My brother says he saw a skit on G4 (Attack of the Show, I assume) when this movie came out called "V for Volvo" (or it may have been Volkswagen, he doesn't remember which). It had V as a car salesman.

Did anyone see this, and is it online somewhere?
Old 08-09-06, 03:30 PM

I rented this last night and can't say I'll ever revisit it. I found it overly long and bordering on preachy. I don't mind movies with messages but when filmmakers bring the movie to a halt so often to hammer home that message with a different example or way to illuminate the subject, I start getting restless.
I thought the movie looked great and the action was well done but those scenes were few and far between and I'm not sure it earned its R rating until the final fight but I was glad when it did.
The detective plotline, though conveniently always a few minutes behind V, was actually the element that I felt was most effective in propellling the narrative forward towards its conclusion.

I felt the film came a little too close to romanticizing terrorism.
Spoiler:
The citizens obviously responded readily to V's words and ideals enough to become an overwhelming movement. Why then is it still necessary blow up Parliament? I know they attempt to justify it but it doesn't ring true. Cinematically I thought it was an exciting scene.

There was one scene for me that came across as extremely hipocritical.
Spoiler:
V imprisons and tortures Evey then when he releases her he spills out all this crap about how it helped her understand and she should be greatful for it will set her free and make her a stronger better person. I found that scene to be almost laughable in a do as I say not as I do sorta way that he justified it. Meanwhile he spends his time seeking revenge on his captors and killing them. If Evey were to take a page out of V's book she would have killed him for what he put her through

I really wanted to like this more and I'm sad to say I did not.
Old 08-09-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts
I also didn't like the movie much the first time I saw it, was overlong and way too liberal for my tastes.

That said, I revisited it a few weeks ago and it's since notched near the top of my '06 movies list. Great flick, but it does take a couple viewings, imho.
Old 08-09-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just watched this for the 1st time as well. Thought it was good, though not at all original. I agree with many of the criticisms already brought out here, so I won't go into it. Overall it was an entertaining film, but nothing too memorable.

One thing that pissed me off. In all the trailers it shows

Spoiler:
Parliament building explosion in all its glory which totally gives away the ending.
Old 08-09-06, 04:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I gave it 3 out of 5 (85% of the movies I see fall in that category). Maybe I will watch it again and see if a second viewing changes my opinion.
Old 08-09-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
There was one scene for me that came across as extremely hipocritical.
Spoiler:
V imprisons and tortures Evey then when he releases her he spills out all this crap about how it helped her understand and she should be greatful for it will set her free and make her a stronger better person. I found that scene to be almost laughable in a do as I say not as I do sorta way that he justified it. Meanwhile he spends his time seeking revenge on his captors and killing them. If Evey were to take a page out of V's book she would have killed him for what he put her through

I really wanted to like this more and I'm sad to say I did not.
What V did to Evey was child's play compared to what they did to him, or what they would have done to her had they actually gotten a hold of her. Also, V expressed remorse at what he did when she left and I have a feeling if he had it to do over he wouldn't have taken the same approach.
Old 08-09-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts
What V did to Evey was child's play compared to what they did to him, or what they would have done to her had they actually gotten a hold of her. Also, V expressed remorse at what he did when she left and I have a feeling if he had it to do over he wouldn't have taken the same approach.

While what V did to Evey was pretty brutal, I think you're forgetting that it wasn't just the jailing that turned V into what he was... there was much, much more to it. And Evey had an easy out at any time she chose to take it.

BTW, this was a response to Space Monkey's post, in agreement with what Dr. DVD said...
Old 08-10-06, 10:29 AM

I don't know what constitutes spoilers in what follows so instead of tagging the whole thing I'll just warn of minor spoilers here.

I was under the impression he tried to approximate his imprisonment, short of injecting her, as closely as possible even slipping her those letters. But it is never really clear the extent of what they did to V personally since we don't see it and it was mentioned the injections themselves did not cause him any negative effects. V had his reasons to justify to himself what he did to "save" Evey. However, his captors had their own selfish reasons to justify to themselves what they did to "save" the country. I don't agree with either of their misguided justifications and I'm obviously not equating the scale, just the principle.
Also I don't think remorse factors into the equation, it was clear that the female doctor expressed remorse but that didn't dissuade V from following through.
I'm not saying other viewers won't see it differently but to me those are the reasons that I view V as a hypocrite and contribute to my difficulty in identifying with his character.
Old 08-10-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
IAlso I don't think remorse factors into the equation, it was clear that the female doctor expressed remorse but that didn't dissuade V from following through.
I'm not saying other viewers won't see it differently but to me those are the reasons that I view V as a hypocrite and contribute to my difficulty in identifying with his character.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

True, the doctore expressed remorse, and V accepted her apology though he had already killed her when she did. However, she was the only one who really did express remorse at what she had done, while the others, evidently, did not. In short, when V killed her, he had no reason to think she would be any different from the others. If he was aware of her change one might argue that the fact the doctor didn't truly realize what was occurring in the camps is why V killed her in a "humane" way compared to the others.
Also, after a few viewings it becomes clear that V's captor's were not trying to "save" the country in any way, shape, or form, just tighten their grip upon it through inhumane means.

I'm not trying to change your view as much as enlighten you as to how others might think differently. The fact that we are able to have an intelligent debate over this as opposed to the typical "it blew," and "no it didn't, you're just an idiot" type approach illustrates just how deep an impact this movie can have.
Old 09-17-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched this and I must say I really enjoyed it, however, one part had me puzzled...

Near the end when Evey is on the train, she's standing in front of the lever, and she looks at this red, rectangular device. The camera even does a close-up on it. I just couldn't remember what this object was. Didn't click for me or something. Could somebody fill me in? I'll post a couple of screen caps if that'll help...

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about the scene with the dominos, and he picks up a single one at the end. It's a domino, I'm a moron...

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 09-18-06 at 12:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.