Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Depp + Burton = Sweeney Todd?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-11-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSN news
Casting News: Burton and Depp Together Again

Although not officially announced, rumors are flying that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are teaming up again for the movie version of "Sweeney Todd." Sources close to the Hitlist confirm the story. The musical about a demon barber who slits the throats of his customers recently returned to Broadway in a critically acclaimed production. The original 1979 production won Tony Awards for Best Musical and individual awards for composer Stephen Sondheim and stars Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury (yep, that one). The biggest question is whether Johnny Depp can handle the singing chores. "Todd" verges on opera so the musical requirements are more difficult than your typical big-screen adaptation. The picture would be the sixth collaboration between Burton and Depp, but when it will actually occur is unknown. A screenplay has been completed by Oscar-winner John Logan ("Gladiator"), but Burton's next film was expected to be "Believe It or Not!" which star Jim Carrey told the Hitlist was to begin shooting by the end of this year. Needless to say, the collaboration of the two on such a dark and sinister project as "Todd" will make it a highly anticipated project.
Wow, I hope this comes through!
Old 01-11-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! They're making a movie about the play that Affleck, Carlin & the guy from Office Space did in Jersey Girl?

And to think Kevin Smith had a problem with the ending to Planet of the Apes...

please tell me you all caught the sarcasm...
Old 01-11-06, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No way Depp could do this. I'd go with Kelsey Grammer or someone with similar heft.
Old 01-11-06, 10:43 PM

What happened to Sam Mendes? I assume he's going through with his, "I'm taking some time off to be with my kids" claim? Or is he still going to make movies, and his Sweeney Todd deal just fell through?

-JP
Old 01-11-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depp and Burton would be great with this. If it comes through, I will be there opening day. Might as well hit my debit card now.
Old 01-11-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually I think I like the Kelsey Grammer idea more now that you mention it. Although it is interesting news... after Charlie & The Choclate Factory, Depp and Burton just don't seem like the surefire combination they used to.
Old 01-11-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see it. I doubt Depp could do his own singing, though. Heck, they didn't even use his own voice in Cry Baby, so why would they in this?
Old 01-12-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds pretty interesting...
Old 01-12-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Much as I love Depp and Burton, this may be an idea best left to the imagination. Sweeney Todd is a work that blurs the line between musical and opera, and has in fact been performed by dozens of opera companies around the world. The vocal demands are incredible, and unless they are planning on dubbing the singing .....
Old 01-12-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed, marty888. Sweeney needs to be made by someone who not only does great visual atmospherics, but who will treat the original source material with extreme respect and who has some classical music skill. I'm worried.

Last edited by adamblast; 01-12-06 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-12-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
As much as I want to see a movie of this, Depp sounds like a bad choice for the role.
Old 01-12-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, when can we expect Sweeney Todd swag at Hot Topic?
Old 01-12-06, 10:08 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Now, that's what I call a close shave!
Old 01-12-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jeez, I hope Sondheim has a tight rein on this project.

If it turns into the typical modern musical with half the songs removed and most of the others "redone" for the crossover market (and the limited vocal skills of movie stars) I'm going to be devastated. The score to Sweeney stands head and shoulders above most other musical accomplishment of the 20th century. Brought to life by someone like Julie Taymor it might not have been a hit, but at least a deserving adaptation.
Old 01-13-06, 06:41 PM
Suspended

I wouldn't doubt Depp doing anything. However, the movie sounds like it would suck. So, I hope they don't do it. Hell, how about another Fear and loathing movie.
Old 12-07-06, 06:36 PM

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17877

Alan Rickman Joins Sweeney Todd
Source: Screen Daily December 7, 2006

Alan Rickman will play Judge Turpin in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, reports Screen Daily. He joins Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in the DreamWorks Studios and Warner Bros. co-production, based on the award-winning Stephen Sondheim musical thriller.

The story of Sweeney Todd is of a wrongfully imprisoned barber in Victorian England who sets out to seek revenge on the judge who imprisoned him. The plot is foreshadowed in the first lines of the opening number: "Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd./His skin was pale and his eye was odd./He shaved the faces of gentlemen/Who never thereafter were heard of again."

Production is planned to begin early in 2007 for release late that year. Paramount will distribute for DreamWorks domestically and Warner Bros. internationally.
Old 12-07-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Man, this film has a truely dreamy cast..
Old 12-07-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sweeney Todd", in my mind, is Sondheim's masterpieces and one of the greatest musical works of the 20th century. It's my favorite musical. I also really enjoy many of Tim Burton's films, especially "Big Fish" and "Batman". However, I'm not sure how I feel about him doing this film. He certainly does have a unique darkly comic visual style that would be good for the play, but, as others have mentioned, this work requires a whole lot more than just a good sense of visual style. It does have some elements of dark comic, but it is ultimately a tragedy. The music is incredibly beautiful.
Old 12-07-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I'd like to see it. I doubt Depp could do his own singing, though. Heck, they didn't even use his own voice in Cry Baby, so why would they in this?
To his credit, he's taking singing lessons at the moment.
Old 12-08-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I think it would have been interesting to cast Tracy Ullman as Ms. Lovett.
Old 12-08-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast
Jeez, I hope Sondheim has a tight rein on this project.

If it turns into the typical modern musical with half the songs removed and most of the others "redone" for the crossover market (and the limited vocal skills of movie stars) I'm going to be devastated. The score to Sweeney stands head and shoulders above most other musical accomplishment of the 20th century. Brought to life by someone like Julie Taymor it might not have been a hit, but at least a deserving adaptation.

Considering the paths Phantom of the Opera and Rent took, I'm actually worried about the way this film can go. Let's be honest, Tim Burton hasn't been on the top of his game for a solid decade now. His last great film was Ed Wood while Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were enjoyable, but not memorable.
Old 03-28-07, 06:30 AM

first pics of Depp as Sweeney Todd:
http://perezhilton.com/topics/johnny...k_20070327.php
Old 03-28-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
first pics of Depp as Sweeney Todd:
http://perezhilton.com/topics/johnny...k_20070327.php

Swing your razor high, Ichabod.

Another casting misstep by Burton. I'll watch it, and be impressed by some of the visuals, but what a missed opportunity!
Old 03-28-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has it been confirmed that the movie will in fact be a musical? They could just base the movie on it.
Old 03-28-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikewendt
Wow! They're making a movie about the play that Affleck, Carlin & the guy from Office Space did in Jersey Girl?

And to think Kevin Smith had a problem with the ending to Planet of the Apes...

please tell me you all caught the sarcasm...
Although you're being sarcastic, Smith will likely take this and run with it. He'll preach to colleges about how other filmmakers suck in order to feel better about himself and hopefully get a few more people to see his next movie. He loves nothing more than to boost his own ego by spitting acid on everyone else in hollywood and throwing an infantile tantrum whenever someone doesn't worship him or his lackluster movies.

Back on topic, I'll see anything with Burton and Depp so I'll keep a close eye on this. I too am worried though about it being a musical. I guess Charlie and the Chocolate factory was in a way and I still loved that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.