Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
39.88%
Return of the Jedi
60.12%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi?

Old 01-11-06, 01:23 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ewoks are the reason why many vote ROTS? Damn that is such a minor quibble, i never noticed anything about the Ewoks until the cynicism of the internet pointed it out. Hayden's 'evil brow' is hilarious in RoTS.
Old 01-11-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy choice...

Return of the Jedi
Old 01-11-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,686 Likes on 4,564 Posts
Jedi, if only for the first thirty minutes or so that rock. After that, it's kinda a toss-up, though I'm not a huge fan of Hayden's acting or Vader acting like a wuss. "Noooooooo!"
Old 01-11-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts
I enjoyed Revenge of the Sith more.
Old 01-11-06, 01:53 AM

I think a lot of you who first saw the original trilogy movies in the theatre are biased. "Sith" is the best of all six movies. Better action, more depth, more emotion
Old 01-11-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Jedi for me. Jedi despite it's flaws and embarassing moments, still managed to create tension and weight when it was needed, which is more than Sith could do.
Old 01-11-06, 02:39 AM

Return of the Jedi...the Ewoks are better actors than anyone in Sith, and that includes you Natalie (although shes good in everything else, for some reason she becomes a bad actress whe she works for Lucas....)
Old 01-11-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by FRwL
Ewoks are the reason why many vote ROTS? Damn that is such a minor quibble, i never noticed anything about the Ewoks until the cynicism of the internet pointed it out. Hayden's 'evil brow' is hilarious in RoTS.

well if you also want to add the fact that the epic win didn't feel epic for shit and was celebrated with a small camp fire till the SE's then I would say that. You just destroyed the galactic empire and you are pissing your time away on some small furry convention? yeah... right.

Atleast with sith you felt the rise of an empire. That and the light saber battle was top notch. Regardless of the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO". I relate Hayden's acting to Marks. Both are piss poor and deserve to be father son.
Old 01-11-06, 04:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

both are flawed, but jedi's best scenes top sith's best scenes.
Old 01-11-06, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sith
Old 01-11-06, 04:25 AM
En vacance

Mark Hammil is Lawrence Olivier compared to Hayden.
Old 01-11-06, 05:05 AM

"I relate Hayden's acting to Marks. Both are piss poor and deserve to be father son..."

You, sir, have obviously not seen 'Corvette Summer'

(Haydens preformance -in both films- might be the biggest debacle since Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3, need i mention the 'love scenes' with Natalie Portman)
Old 01-11-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
That is a tough one, cause Return of the Jedi is the worst of the three originals, but to me it is being compared to two classics.

Revenge of the Sith is the best of the three prequels, but to me it is being compared to two duds.

So I guess is Revenge getting so much praise because to many fans it was finally a good prequel? Or is Return getting too much flack because it isn't a classic like ANH & ESB?

I think they both could have been better movies, and both have their flaws, but ROTJ got the scenes it needed to right: Space Battle & Emperor/Vader/Luke scenes, they are truly great scenes for a SW fan.

Now for ROTS, the turn scene is so badly done, and so underwhelming, where it is the key to the whole prequels! If Lucas can't sell me on Anakin turning, partially cause his motives, but Lucas could have developed that angle better and it would have worked, but the execution of that scene, "What have I done?" and then BAM hes Darth Vader! It is just poorly done. Padme dying of the will to live, and not matching up with Luke/Leia conversation on how Leia remembered her hurts the movie too, cause now that scene is confusing. ROTS is a good SW film, and way better than the two duds TPM & AOTC, but the two key scenes for me Lucas dropped the ball, while ROTJ last hour is great.

Return of the Jedi-
Old 01-11-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the Ewoks had been captured and then burned alive, I would've voted for Jedi. But I like Sith better. Palpatine is much more of a bad ass in that one.
Old 01-11-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 553 Likes on 382 Posts
Even with Ewoks, ROTJ over ROTS. My rankings:

1. Star Wars
2. ESB
3. ROTJ
4. ROTS
5. AOTC
6. TPM

Don't even get me started on fan edits (which I like alot) and how they scramble this list.

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 01-11-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 08:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You guys are all voting for shit!!!!!!!!!

I had something intelligent to say but the fact that this is actually a poll is, well, ridiculous.

PopcornTreeCt, you should know better than to submit posts like this. Threadcrapping is the type of thing that might just get you suspended.
Old 01-11-06, 09:47 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MASAMUNE2
I think a lot of you who first saw the original trilogy movies in the theatre are biased. "Sith" is the best of all six movies. Better action, more depth, more emotion
very funny... there was no emotion in RotS...

RotJ wins!
Old 01-11-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
both are flawed, but jedi's best scenes top sith's best scenes.
Exactly...
Old 01-11-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceskaarj
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 01-11-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceskaarj

RotJ wins!
Looking at it as a part of the saga as a whole I believe that the scene between Kenobi and Anakin where they say goodbye as friends for the last time has a lot of emotion. Other than that I agree.
Old 01-11-06, 11:02 AM
Retired

Have to go with Jedi. The scenes with the Emperor, Luke and Vader are my favorite in all 6 movies. Rescuing Han from Jabba kicked ass too. Ewoks were annoying, but not too bad.

I liked Sith the most out of the prequels, but it still had too many flaws to rate it higher than any of the OT movies after repeat viewings. Namely some crap dialog and Anakins too quick turn and pretty lame reason for turning.
Old 01-11-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I cast my vote for Jedi.
Old 01-11-06, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Looking at it as a part of the saga as a whole I believe that the scene between Kenobi and Anakin where they say goodbye as friends for the last time has a lot of emotion. Other than that I agree.
okay, there was a little bit of emotion in this scene... but compared to the scene in RotJ where Luke is attacked by Palpatine and shouts for help it didn`t touch me
Old 01-11-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted for ROTJ since ROTS made the jedis look like dumbasses. Plus the battle and sword fight scenes in ROTJ was more exciting.
Old 01-11-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I like both a lot but I have to go with Sith. Here are my reasons:

Sith:
1. The best film for lightsaber battles - Empire has the best IMO but it is just one battle
2. The most evil performance in the saga - I think Palpatine in this barely surpasses Vader in Empire.
3. It does in the first 30 minutes what should have been done in the first two films - For the first time you see a tiny bit of good in Anakin and the bond between him and Kenobi feels real. The scene where they say good bye as friends is the best scene in the entire trilogy (again IMO)
4. A great space battle

Jedi has
1. The greatest space battle ever put on film
2. A good lightsaber battle

Both have a LOT of flaws but the highs in Sith are better to me than they are in Jedi.
I thought the space battle in Sith looked like a video game. The ships didn't look metal, they looked plastic. When Lucas got the idea-somehow that effects were better than great drama, that was the beginning of the end of Star Wars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.