Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who looks at Star Wars as still 4-6?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The prequels are history now, and all we have for Star Wars is reflection. Though the Prequels were enjoyable in the buildup, and fun anticipating each release, overall for me they were underwhelming.

It is a shame, cause I really wanted to love these movies. Now I am not going to debate the problems I had with the prequels, because they have been beat to death, (cough***Jar Jar***cough), but after six years, and three movies, I am just wiping my slate clean from them, and just enjoying Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi again, like I did before 1999.

I don't begrudge anyone who likes the prequels, I am not here to bash you guys, cause an opinion is an opinion, but anyone here who gave the prequels a chance, and like myself, enjoyed some parts of each movie, but as a whole, don't think it was worth it now that Lucas did them.
Old 01-10-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
This has probably been said a lot, but I would rather the prequels never happened. I hope to someday be able to watch the originals with the wonder I felt, say, 10 years ago, but the prequels have tainted the whole saga for me.
Old 01-10-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
This has probably been said a lot, but I would rather the prequels never happened. I hope to someday be able to watch the originals with the wonder I felt, say, 10 years ago, but the prequels have tainted the whole saga for me.
Like any other movie in a saga which does not live up to its predecessors (SUPERMAN III and IV, BATMAN FOREVER, BATMAN AND ROBIN, and so forth), I just ignore the crappy entries when enjoying the originals. I do look at STAR WARS as volumes 4, 5 and 6 in the aborted 9 episodes, but I ignore the disappointments in the prequels when re-watching the better moments of the original films.

I, too, agree that Lucas spoiled his own series with the prequels.
Old 01-10-06, 11:13 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
I believe that the movies can and should be enjoyed by all ages... not just 4 to 6 year olds.

Old 01-10-06, 11:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Like any other movie in a saga which does not live up to its predecessors (SUPERMAN III and IV, BATMAN FOREVER, BATMAN AND ROBIN, and so forth), I just ignore the crappy entries when enjoying the originals. I do look at STAR WARS as volumes 4, 5 and 6 in the aborted 9 episodes, but I ignore the disappointments in the prequels when re-watching the better moments of the original films.

I, too, agree that Lucas spoiled his own series with the prequels.

That is a real good point, but I think the reason they are linked to the OT more than other series, is that they come before in the timeframe.

I agree that Superman I & II are classics, so I forget anything that happened in the next two movies, but for SW, the prequels happened before the OT, so you have all these link up moments that you can't forget, for me most are bad (Anakin building C-3PO, Jango fett as Bobas dad being the clone template, and how the hell Leia remembers her mom?) Everything is linked, so it is harder to forget about something, being at the beginning of the story.
Old 01-10-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by coli

...but for SW, the prequels happened before the OT, so you have all these link up moments that you can't forget, for me most are bad (Anakin building C-3PO, Jango fett as Bobas dad being the clone template, and how the hell Leia remembers her mom?) Everything is linked, so it is harder to forget about something, being at the beginning of the story.
That is too true. There is such a thing as "explaining too much" and once you get the origin of Vader, the Stormtroopers, and all the other characters, it sucks out the novelty of 4, 5 and 6.
Old 01-10-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
If I want to watch the OT, I have to throw my VHS tapes in. Never did get around to getting an LD player or the OT LDs.
Old 01-10-06, 12:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm just happy I got to see some original Star Wars movies in the last decade.

I thought that was pretty exciting.

But still, when I think of Star Wars, I immediately think of A New Hope.
Old 01-10-06, 01:02 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Like any other movie in a saga which does not live up to its predecessors (SUPERMAN III and IV, BATMAN FOREVER, BATMAN AND ROBIN, and so forth), I just ignore the crappy entries when enjoying the originals.
The big difference in my mind is that the Superman and Batman stories have appeared in so many forms (serials, shows like the Adam West Batman, Smallville and Lois & Clark, several cartoons... from stuff like Superfriends to the 90s era stuff to the Justice League, and now the new relaunches in theaters with Batman Begins, Superman Returns) that I'm not locked down on any edition of something being "definitive". The origins and backstories have been told and retold so many times (even in the comics) that I can ignore Superman III and Batman and Robin as easily as I can ignore a lame episode of Smallville or something silly Adam West does as Batman.

But with Star Wars, the movies ARE the definitive story. Sure, there's all sorts of crap like the Holiday Special, the Ewok movies, etc. But none of those things really have any bearing on the main story. That said, I actually like the prequels for the most part. But my reasoning also applies to film series where I feel the sequels DID ruin the originals *to some degree*. But that's for another thread.
Old 01-10-06, 01:27 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest grudge is how small the Star Wars universe got because of the prequels. Lucas felt like he had to give a full history of intertwined backstory to every character. Im surprised he didnt show the guy who bulit the Millennium Falcon having lunch with the guy who built R2.
Old 01-10-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The Star Wars Prequels never happened.
The Star Wars Secial Editions never happened.
Star Trek V never happened.
Star Trek: Voyager & Star Trek: Enterprise never happened.
Superman 3 & 4 never happened.
Batman Forever & Batman and Robin never happened.
A View To A Kill and Octopussy never happened.
Smokey and The Bandit 3 never happened.
Old 01-10-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One evening a couple months ago, I dug out the old Panasonic laserdisc player and watched the original New Hope from the OT laserdiscs. I watched it after the kids went to bed and the wife was at work so I had the house to myself. I didn't get up for anything and just sat there and watched. I actually managed to recapture some of that sense of wonder again. The feeling was a little forced but I don't think I'll ever feel the same way that I did when I was 6 when I first saw it.

I will say that it was quite refreshing to watch this version again. It cleansed the palate, so to speak.
Old 01-10-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah because you don't have all those Expanded Universe, driods, ewok adventures, comics, books, etc that aren't the definitive story. I don't see us going on about how half the books are total crap and ruin the films for us.

Simply put, you can ignore the shitty prequels if you want. People just like to bitch about it destroying their childhood.
Old 01-10-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I agree with those except I add Halloween 4 to H:Resurrection to that list (yes, I like 3, so be it). Heck, add Exorcist 2 to that list as well. Eh, going way off topic here.....
Old 01-10-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some people really need to move on.

Why do I even bother looking at Star Wars threads anymore.

Last edited by cactusoly; 01-10-06 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

But my reasoning also applies to film series where I feel the sequels DID ruin the originals *to some degree*.
I honestly never heard of this theory until I frequented the internet. But I'll debunk it here. It is absolutely impossible for a bad or dissappointing sequel to ruin a good or great film. Impossible, and it's not even up for debate. It may ruin your love for a series of films. But it does not in any way take away from a great film. A great film or series of film will always be great, even if they are followed by bad sequels. A great film doesn't become a bad film simply by association.

So, your disappointment may have ruined your love for Star Wars or your memories, but it sure didn't have any real impact on the original Star Wars trilogy. They're as good as they always were.

That's about all I wanted to say. You either like the prequels or not. Absolutely nothing new can be said that hasn't been said a thousand times before regarding the prequels. So why obssess over the disappointment. Since Star Wars is over and done with, it's best to move on. If you hate the prequels, forget they exist. There's no law that says you have to acknowledge the prequels. If you like them, enjoy away.

That's the perfect way to go about it if you didn't enjoy them. But I suspect most people who didn't enjoy them had to have them on DVD. Makes you wonder!
Old 01-10-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Funny how every Star Wars thread, especially regarding the prequels, are all practically identical.
Old 01-10-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much therapy did it take for you to come to these conclusions?
Old 01-10-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I hope to someday be able to watch the originals with the wonder I felt, say, 10 years ago, but the prequels have tainted the whole saga for me.

I felt that way until this past year. My son has recently jumped onto the Star Wars bandwagon and loves it to death (prequels and all - UGH!). I watched the OT (ported from LaserDisc) for the first time in awhile and got swept into the story and felt a wonderful pang of nostalgia. THAT was Star Wars.

Since then I've watched the Clone Wars series (not bad), the Empire of Dreams documentary (very well done) and one day, if I feel brave enough, I'll attempt to watch RotS.

Yeah, I haven't seen that one yet.
Old 01-10-06, 02:50 PM

I very much feel that 4-6 is all that there is to Star Wars.

And frankly sometimes I'm not even sure about part 6.

Ewoks bug me.
Old 01-10-06, 03:48 PM

I thought A View to a Kill was one of the better Bond movies. Christoper Walken and Grace Jones were a hilarious duo baby!

Other than that, I agree with everything else you listed. I'll add Star Trek 1, 2, 3, and 4 and however many else there were.
Old 01-10-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
In my mind, BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN are actual prequels to the STAR WARS Prequel Trilogy. Also, I have bridged a scenario in which Darth Maul actually received tutelage from the Nuclear Man from SUPERMAN IV. Unfortunately, the bad guy from LETHAL WEAPON 3 shows up and both villains are nearly decimated by a bout of lethargy and indifference. Luckily, EVERYONE FROM THE HIGHLANDER SEQUELS shows up and there's this huge battle between them and half the cast from MIGNOLIA, who defeat the evil Sith by boring them half to death. Then there's a big party on the prison planet from ALIEN 3, with entertainment provided by ALL THE CHARACTERS FROM THE DREAMWORKS ANIMATED FILMS (except Antz), who throw in a bunch of pop-culture references that nobody gets, and the Jedi slaughter them.
Old 01-10-06, 04:33 PM
En vacance

The prequels are extended universe to me.
Old 01-10-06, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
In my mind, BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN are actual prequels to the STAR WARS Prequel Trilogy. Also, I have bridged a scenario in which Darth Maul actually received tutelage from the Nuclear Man from SUPERMAN IV. Unfortunately, the bad guy from LETHAL WEAPON 3 shows up and both villains are nearly decimated by a bout of lethargy and indifference. Luckily, EVERYONE FROM THE HIGHLANDER SEQUELS shows up and there's this huge battle between them and half the cast from MIGNOLIA, who defeat the evil Sith by boring them half to death. Then there's a big party on the prison planet from ALIEN 3, with entertainment provided by ALL THE CHARACTERS FROM THE DREAMWORKS ANIMATED FILMS (except Antz), who throw in a bunch of pop-culture references that nobody gets, and the Jedi slaughter them.
Then Danny Glover falls down a flight of stairs and says "I'm okay!!!" Then he hobbles off and says "I'm gettin' too old fo' dis job..." Then Arnold Schwarzenegger comes in as Mr. Freeze and says "AIIYYEEEE AIYYEEEEE. Why don't you... CHILL OUT!" And he shoots Danny Glover with his ice gun. "Whats da matta Danny Glova? You look like ya had one too mehny pop sickles. AHHAHAHA!"
Old 01-10-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cactusoly

Yeah, I wonder when I will learn too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.