Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Obvious Stuntmen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most Obvious Stuntmen

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about scenes where you knew it was definitely a stuntman, not ones where you can see the stuntman's face. Like in Beverly Hills Cop III, when Axel Foley is jumping from ferris wheel cart to cart -- long shot of some guy making the jump, close up of Eddie Murphy "landing."

But for obvious stuntmen, in Face/Off when the boat explodes and Archer and Troy and flying through the air in slow motion, you can easily see the stuntment for Travolta and Cage because, well, it's in slow motion and they're clearly in focus.
Old 12-29-05, 04:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Legolas
I was thinking about scenes where you knew it was definitely a stuntman, not ones where you can see the stuntman's face.
Well if you can see their face, then it's definitely a stuntman.
Old 12-29-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the Transporter when Statham jumps from the window with the bald bad guy protecting him from the bullets. When they jump, the guy all of a sudden has hair!

= J
Old 12-29-05, 09:36 PM

In Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, Bela Lugosi plays the monster, but all of the fight scenes and many of the close-ups show stuntman Gil Perkins. Indeed the lengthy close-up views of the monster in the ice as it awakes are all Perkins.
Old 12-29-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe no one's mentioned Face/Off yet. The scene that sticks out the most is when the boat crashes towards the end. Looks nothing like Nic Cage and John Travolta.

Another one is Heat. When Al Pacino's character tackles Henry Rollins. The stuntman is like 30 years younger. Hilarious.
Old 12-29-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
I can't believe no one's mentioned Face/Off yet. The scene that sticks out the most is when the boat crashes towards the end. Looks nothing like Nic Cage and John Travolta.
Look up a few posts and say 'doh.
Old 12-29-05, 11:45 PM

Mel Gibson's stunt double running along rooftops on Hollywood Blvd. in LETHAL WEAPON. Also, during the "wide load" chase on the freeway in LETHAL WEAPON 4.

The long, lingering slo-mo shots of Joanna Cassidy's stuntwoman in a bad wig smashing through the glass in BLADE RUNNER.

The overhead crane shot on Pierce Brosnan's stuntman on top of the dam in the opening of GOLDENEYE. It took me a while to realize that it was actually supposed to be Bond and not some other 00-agent.

All of the digital head replacement shots in the STAR WARS prequels and TITANIC are incredibly obvious. Strangely, the head replacement in JURASSIC PARK a few years earlier was totally believable.
Old 12-29-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ed Wood's Bride of the Monster.
Old 12-30-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe no one's mentioned Face/Off yet. When they're flying off of the boat in slow motion...

= J
Old 12-30-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I can't believe no one's mentioned Face/Off yet. When they're flying off of the boat in slow motion...

= J
Old 12-30-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Naked Gun trilogy.
Old 12-30-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Men in Black. When J gets thrown around the Ford POS, you can see the leg of the stuntman and it's white! Did Will Smith get a Michael Jackson makeover?

Last edited by zekeburger1979; 12-30-05 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-30-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You people are picky, picky, picky!
Old 12-30-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna pick another Arnold movie - Eraser. When he's falling from the airplane, after the engine eats his 'chute, it's blantantly obvious that the stuntman isn't our beloved Arnold.
Old 12-31-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
First thing I thought of...

Donnie Darko?
Old 12-31-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by valkyrie
I'm gonna pick another Arnold movie - Eraser. When he's falling from the airplane, after the engine eats his 'chute, it's blantantly obvious that the stuntman isn't our beloved Arnold.
Ahh ya beat me to it. I was scrolling down thinking "no one's mentioned Eraser yet, hee hee...."

OK - Christopher Lee's digital stuntman in SW: ROTS!
Old 01-01-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Kill Bill House of Blues fight scene. In the all color Japanese version you can pause the DVD and see that the Bride is an Asian guy with a blonde wig and make up.
Old 01-01-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
Kill Bill House of Blues fight scene. In the all color Japanese version you can pause the DVD and see that the Bride is an Asian guy with a blonde wig and make up.
Really? Zoe Bell was Uma Thurman's stunt double. There's a really interesting documentary about stunwomen, Double Dare, that mostly features her. She doubled for Lucy Lawless as Xena, too. I think you were seeing a New Zealand woman in a blond wig.
Old 01-01-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought the guy doing stunts for Keanu in Matrix was kind of obvious. I also noticed a pretty blatant substitution for Dan Aykroyd when they jumped into the snake tank in Dragnet.

And Robo, I saw the thread title and thought of Ace Frehley right off the bat, but just didn't get in here in time.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 01-01-06 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-01-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
All of the digital head replacement shots in the STAR WARS prequels and TITANIC are incredibly obvious. Strangely, the head replacement in JURASSIC PARK a few years earlier was totally believable.
I can't seem to recall where a head replacement was done in Jurassic Park. According to James Cameron in the audio commentary for Titanic, the head replacement on Kate and Leo was the first one done in a movie. I believe that's what he said, anyway.
Old 01-01-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I can't seem to recall where a head replacement was done in Jurassic Park.
When lex falls thru the grate and has her leg nearly bitten off.
Old 01-04-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was watching Just One of the Guys yesterday, specifically the prom scene when Terry and Buddy jump on Toland's back and he throws them in the surf. Those were obvious stuntmen, Buddy's double looked like he was about 40, with a receding hairline.

And in Superman II when Non dumped Lex Luthor off his back in the Fortress of Solitude. At least he kept his back to the camera, but you could tell it wasn't Gene Hackman.
Old 01-04-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
When lex falls thru the grate and has her leg nearly bitten off.
Wow. I had to go put my DVD in to see it. I don't know why I never noticed that before. That was such a bad effect, it was almost embarrassing. I still cringe at the Titanic one.
Old 01-04-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Some Hong Kong flicks I’ve seen take this to a whole new level.

Such as in Righting Wrongs, where in the middle of a fight, 5-foot-2 blonde female Cynthia Rothrock for a moment becomes a noticibly taller Asian man in a dress. He didn’t even bother to wear a wig!
Old 01-04-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Do body doubles count as stuntmen? If so, my hands down winner would be Haunted. There's a sex scene between Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale, only for any shot that shows anything more than his face & upper chest, it's clearly not Aidan Quinn. It's by far the funniest goof of this type that I've seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.