DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Deathrace 2000...no wait...3000. Coming soon. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/450159-deathrace-2000-no-wait-3000-coming-soon.html)

Tarantino 12-28-05 12:04 PM

Deathrace 2000...no wait...3000. Coming soon.

Looks like a new Deathrace movie is in production, Deathrace 3000, directed by...Paul W.S. Anderson. Yikes.

Deathrace 3000 at IMDB

= J

Cygnet74 12-28-05 12:08 PM

a year or two ago, i remember hearing tom cruise was going to star in this remake. and i see he's still execuive producing it.

Geofferson 12-28-05 12:56 PM

Would be cool to see Sly make a cameo.

Mondo Kane 12-28-05 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Would be cool to see Sly make a cameo.

Or Carradine!

Dr. DVD 12-28-05 01:05 PM

Oh boy, I can hardly wait!.....:rolleyes:

UAIOE 12-28-05 03:35 PM

Maybe i'll skip this in theaters and just go play "Carmageddon".

rw2516 12-28-05 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Or Carradine!

He could even play the same character, kept alive with organ transplants and blood transfusions.

Fincher Fan 12-28-05 06:42 PM

I remember Anderson wanting to make this for release back in 2000, although it was still called Death Race 2000. Glad to see he's still intent on ruining existing properties.

joeydaninja 12-28-05 09:53 PM

Mmmmmm, Mayhem! :)

devilshalo 08-08-07 11:47 AM

Buckle up: Allen joins Uni's 'Race'
By Borys Kit

Aug 8, 2007

Joan Allen, hot off of Universal Pictures' "The Bourne Ultimatum," is returning to the studio for "Death Race," Paul W.S. Anderson's remake of the Roger Corman cult classic. Ian McShane and Tyrese Gibson also are buckling up for the action thriller, which Jason Statham is toplining.

"Death Race" sees a future America in which prison inmates are forced to brutally compete in an enclosed arena. Statham will play a prisoner who, with only weeks to go before his release, is coerced into being a driver and becomes the crowd favorite called Frankenstein.

Allen will play the warden of the prison who runs the race and ruthlessly forces Statham to enter the arena. McShane will play a coach, while Gibson is a sociopathic racer named Machine Gun Joe who seeks to escape from prison.

Production will start this year with an aim for a fall 2008 release.

Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner are producing via their C/W Prods. as well as Anderson and his Impact Pictures partner Jeremy Bolt.

Scott Bernstein is overseeing for Universal.

Allen, repped by ICM and attorney Frank Stewart, reprised her role as Pamela Landy for "Ultimatum," which broke boxoffice records when it opened to $69.3 million last weekend. She regularly receives acclaim for being a dramatic anchor in productions and starred in the acclaimed drama "The Upside of Anger."

McShane, repped by ICM, is best known for his work on HBO's "Deadwood" and next appears in "The Golden Compass."

Gibson, who most recently appeared in "Transformers," is repped by WMA, Jerome Martin and Sloane, Offer, Weber and Dern.

Seantn 06-14-08 02:41 PM

Wow! Anderson didn't even sync up the dialogue with their lips!!!

Zen Peckinpah 06-14-08 03:01 PM

Unlike that shit excuse for a Punisher movie, THIS is what I call a stupid action movie. Paul Not Thomas Anderson notwithstanding, this has all the ingredients of glorious idiocy:

Jason Statham? Check.

Apocalyptic-looking cars? Check.

Busloads of hot chicks? Check.

Gratuitous use of "Welcome to the Jungle" in the trailer? CHECK.

If it's half as good as Crank or Shoot 'Em Up, I'm good to go.

Seantn 06-14-08 03:23 PM

Agreed. I actually think it looks fun.

valkyrie 06-14-08 03:35 PM

I really hate going to the theater, but I have to say, this looks like a LOT of fun. It's like Transporter meets Mad Max. Count me in.

DVDho78DTS 06-14-08 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Unlike that shit excuse for a Punisher movie

That's funny because that's the first thing that popped in my head watching the trailer. I thought the first Death Race was so bad I could barely get through it but this one looks watchable.

Sessa17 06-14-08 06:13 PM

Looks ridicawesome! I utterly can't wait for this. I am an unashamed huge fan of Statham, playing, well, himself yet again, plus Al F'n Swearengen. I'm sold.

Of coarse, I also really liked Doomsday earlier this year, so I'm clearly the target audience for this movie.

mndtrp 06-14-08 09:31 PM

Makes me want to see a movie based on the Twisted Metal video game.

toddly6666 06-15-08 09:52 PM

I think Anderson is a closet-G.I. Joe fan. He may have to direct the G.I. Joe sequel: G.I. Joe versus Zartan's Dreadnocks

http://www.maximumawesome.com/images/s2-ramturbo.jpg
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/thu...hine_title.jpg

this was my favorite G.I. Joe toy vehicle - Thrasher with Thunder Machine - I'm assuming it was Anderson's as well. ;)

islandclaws 06-16-08 11:39 AM

Ugh. That trailer did nothing but remind me why Paul W.S. Anderson is a half-assed director. Other than Event Horizon the guy hasn't made a single completely rewatchable film. Everything he makes has incredible potential to be awesome, and he always fails to deliver on it.

bhk 06-16-08 02:37 PM

Looks good in a road-warrior sort of way.

wishbone 06-16-08 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I thought the first Death Race was so bad I could barely get through it but this one looks watchable.

What is there not to love about the original? It is just the right amount of camp, violence, social commentary, and gratuitous nudity all rolled into one! :D

obviously LSFW...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbKKCCmh7GU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbKKCCmh7GU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mercury&Solace 06-16-08 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Unlike that shit excuse for a Punisher movie, THIS is what I call a stupid action movie. Paul Not Thomas Anderson notwithstanding, this has all the ingredients of glorious idiocy:

Jason Statham? Check.

Apocalyptic-looking cars? Check.

Busloads of hot chicks? Check.

Gratuitous use of "Welcome to the Jungle" in the trailer? CHECK.

If it's half as good as Crank or Shoot 'Em Up, I'm good to go.

Truth.
I am all over this. :drool:

Superman07 07-22-08 08:50 PM

Caught news on this during "First Look" infront of Dark Knight. Looks fun!

xage 07-22-08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Makes me want to see a movie based on the Twisted Metal video game.

Actually you beat me with the Twisted Metal thing...

After seeing the First Look & Movie trailer.. and directed by Paul Anderson (behind videogame movies like MK & RE)

It made me think.. is this some sort of a non-licensed Twisted Metal movie? The cars, trucks and weapons... Geez they almost exactly match Twisted Metal Cars & Trucks.

The Deathrace title is way off...

Wolf359 07-22-08 10:36 PM

I may still see this, but I don't think I've ever seen a trailer before that literally gave away the ENTIRE movie.