DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Do the Right Thing: WTF (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/450056-do-right-thing-wtf.html)

raven56706 12-27-05 12:28 PM

Do the Right Thing: WTF

Was this a movie of reverse racism? was this a movie of all nationalities interacting...

i mean the ending was messed up for the pizza place and the owners but i just didnt get the morale of the story...

please explain

PopcornTreeCt 12-27-05 12:44 PM

The black dude with the boom box got killed by the police. So, the other black dudes wanted revenge. Mookie ends up saving Sal and his sons by diverting the attention of the angry mob to the Pizza Place instead of Sal and his sons.

Cygnet74 12-27-05 12:49 PM

it was about "waking up". DTRT isn't a fable, there is no "moral to the story...". it's a day in the life of an ethnic community. it's funky, entertaining, insightful, and political in the best, most responsible sense.

raven56706 12-27-05 12:52 PM

ok.... so in other words... Mookie saved Sal and his sons from a beat down but decided to destroy the place. the angry mob was ignorant and blamed sal for the death of radio raheim.... hmmm

i guess

Apone 12-27-05 01:07 PM

I thought Mookie was rather an opportunist. He started a riot for the chance to "fight the power" against Sal's oppression and control on him. Mookie obviously did not "do the right thing" in my opinion, which the film try to convey.

Cygnet74 12-27-05 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Apone
I thought Mookie was rather an opportunist. He started a riot for the chance to "fight the power" against Sal's oppression and control on him. Mookie obviously did not "do the right thing" in my opinion, which the film try to convey.

i don't think the film suggests that mookie did the "right" thing. just that he was finally stirred to do something.

Rockmjd23 12-27-05 01:14 PM

Wait, I'm confused about the movie - so the cops knew that Internal Affairs were setting them up?

The Bus 12-27-05 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
i mean the ending was messed up for the pizza place and the owners but i just didnt get the morale of the story...

What about the guy who died?

Hokeyboy 12-27-05 01:22 PM

The pie fight was a bit outta place, methinks.

natevines 12-27-05 06:02 PM

The boombox kid was the most annoying character in the movie. I was so happy that he died, and I figured everyone would be celebrating.

wendersfan 12-27-05 06:14 PM

The point is that it's a film filled with moral ambiguities. NONE of the major characters are completely good or completely bad. All have their moments of goodness and heroism, and they all have their moments of weakness, pettiness, and hatred. It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember walking out of the movie theater thinking, "damn, that was one overwhelming statement." I think Spike Lee was just trying to say that racism is common throughout our society, you can't escape it, and dealing with it and not succumbing to it is a daily struggle for just about everyone.

Fok 12-28-05 05:08 AM

To be honest, I thought Mookie was lazy. He didn't help shit and in the end the working man got the short end of the stick

raven56706 12-28-05 06:38 AM

see thats what i thought too....Sal and his boys got screwed.... i mean he was nice to all of them and it was because of Sal that they opened the store again for martin and his friends....

Alien Redrum 12-28-05 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
The pie fight was a bit outta place, methinks.

rotfl

Trout 12-28-05 08:12 AM

The only reason Spike Lee made this movie was to film the "ice" scene with Rosie Perez.

raven56706 12-28-05 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Trout
The only reason Spike Lee made this movie was to film the "ice" scene with Rosie Perez.

he must have been desperate ;)

Cartload 12-28-05 04:00 PM

I'll never see Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2 in the same light after realizing that Robbie Robertson was played by boombox guy.