Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So anyone see Wolf Creek yet?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend wants to see this movie and im more looking forward to Hostel. I will most likely end up seeing both. Anyone see wolf creek yet? It certainly does have some hype with Tarantino saying how good it is but Roger Ebert giving it a zero somewhat makes me worried. Well if anyone saw it how is it? Also if you have seen Hostel also how do they compare?
Old 12-25-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GameGenie
My friend wants to see this movie and im more looking forward to Hostel. I will most likely end up seeing both. Anyone see wolf creek yet? It certainly does have some hype with Tarantino saying how good it is but Roger Ebert giving it a zero somewhat makes me worried. Well if anyone saw it how is it? Also if you have seen Hostel also how do they compare?
It's an apples-and-oranges comparison. Especially considering Tarantino has nothing to do with Wolf Creek (he's an executive producer on Hostel) and he's just mentioned in the advertising for liking the film.

I've heard mixed reactions on this film. Some say it's a pretty good horror flick, others say the complete opposite. Whatever you do, you may want to get out to the theater quick, because I don't see this flick having much staying power.
Old 12-25-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't like it. The camera work was especially shoddy and very distracting. Plus the first hour is devoid of any real suspense and tension. It's boring. The last half hour has some really good moments, but it's not enough. It's a shame.
Old 12-25-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it a couple of months back and agree with Sunday Morning.
Old 12-25-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it today and it was just okay. It was slow the first 45-60 mins then was pretty decent for the last half. I liked the killer cause he was crazy and sorta funny in an aussie way i guess. IT wasnt even that gruesome. I thought I read it was really gory and disturbing, far from it. I liked the Crocodile Dundee reference they made about the knife. Wish it had more but it was decent enough for matinee @ $4 where I saw it. Worth a rent when it comes out at least so you can see the last hour.
Old 12-25-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think a lot of people are going to misinterpet it's mean spirit as a real point of view or being "cool". This movie is just a cheap retread of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre...But without the brains, atmosphere and loving attention to details that was put into that movie.
Old 12-25-05, 07:52 PM

Hmm doesnt sound good after hearing this. I might just wait for a rental unless my girlfriend or my friend wants to see this. Ill definently check out Hostel though, that looks crazy.
Old 12-25-05, 08:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Terrible. Just terrible.

No film this thin should take 60 minutes to get going.
Old 12-25-05, 09:47 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with all of the above. Save your money. Very slow moving first hour. I felt I paid too much at $7.50. I wouldn't even rent it, but rather wait for it to come out on HBO or Showtime and watch it there (if I bother watching it again).
Old 12-25-05, 10:18 PM

On imdb.com it currently has a score of 6.9 that doesnt sound so bad. I feel pretty conflicted right now, ill wait and see.
Old 12-25-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Terrible. Just terrible.

No film this thin should take 60 minutes to get going.
How ironic coming from the guy who liked the House of Wax remake.
Old 12-26-05, 12:38 AM

If you are looking for a good movie, I think you are up the wrong creek on this one ::cue:: rimshot
Old 12-26-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Trying to make the killer a legend like Leatherface was not the right move considering the real killer was captured. I thought the ending was a let down.
Old 12-26-05, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
How ironic coming from the guy who liked the House of Wax remake.
To me, when WAX got moving, it went somewhere.

I can't say the same about CREEK.
Old 12-26-05, 09:02 AM

I saw it back to back with High Tension and was impressed by both movies, which in not common with me, especially horror movies.
Old 12-26-05, 09:26 AM

Trying to make the killer a legend like Leatherface was not the right move considering the real killer was captured.
Oh boy.....

BTW, did they ever catch those guys from Fargo?
Old 12-26-05, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Trying to make the killer a legend like Leatherface was not the right move considering the real killer was captured. I thought the ending was a let down.
Do you have a link to the real story? I read somewhere that they never where able to locate this house where it all took place or the guy responsible for the murders at Wolf Creek.
Old 12-26-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I disagree with what the others have said. I thought the hour it took to get to establish the characters and their brief relationship was very natural and necessary to create the dread that was to come. The aussie outback combined with the score built up the tension for me...then all hell breaks loose when they meet the monster...to me it's a scary reminder that what people are capable of in real life is much scarier than some make believe boogie man in a mask or costume. This monster's mask was the veil of a nice, normal helpful stranger. The next time you are in a parking lot and need a jump...think about who is offering to lend you a hand. It didn't quite want to make me take a shower like Henry, Portrait of the Serial Killer...but close.

Ron
Old 12-26-05, 06:39 PM

just saw this...
i think most horror buffs would give this movie a "C"... it has SOME suspense towards the end, but not enough to keep you on the edge of your seat.

i think the average movie-goer will only continue watching because they paid money to see it. otherwise, i think most average viewers would get bored and walk out. it will probably come off as too artsy- much more so than even High Tension (which i loved by the way).

mainstream cheese-fests like House of Wax and Texas Chainsaw remakes both did much better jobs entertaining me than Wolf Creek. It was just TOO slow... an hour into the movie and no "jump" moments, not even a false scare or any real indication that this is a horror movie.

the best part of the movie was probably the sniping scene, and even that wasn't incredible.

If you're like me, you still HAVE to see this movie and probably will. But dont say I didnt warn you.
Old 12-26-05, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
I disagree with what the others have said. I thought the hour it took to get to establish the characters and their brief relationship was very natural and necessary to create the dread that was to come.
With the story that was presented in CREEK, it only needed 20-30 minutes of set-up. The characters are still one-note by film's end, and the performances are nothing to write home about either.

The set-up felt like padding to me, to make a feature running time.
Old 12-26-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

can someone please give the story brief and the ending.... not planning on seeing the movie but curious about the ending
Old 12-26-05, 11:12 PM

Spoiler:
2 british college chicks, 1 college aussie, go to the outback to hike (this is the first 60 minutes- no joke)... the last half hour is their car suddenly not starting, an old australian man helps them out by driving them back to his territory. they all fall asleep by the fire. next thing they know, they wake up bound and gagged and the man begins to torture them. the 2 girls successfully escape, but the man finds them and kills them both. the young aussie man ultimatly escapes. the text before the credits reveal that the one who escaped was actually a suspect in the dissapearance of the girls. the old australian was never caught. dum dum dum. the end.
Old 12-26-05, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
Spoiler:
the 2 girls successfully escape, but the man finds them and kills them both.
Not much of a success.
Old 12-27-05, 01:42 AM

It's not bad, but it's nothing to write home about either. I didn't regret paying to see it... but I wouldn't have missed not seeing it, either.

It does have a very 70's vibe (a la TCM). So, it's bleak, non-humorous, and all the rest that entails. That's a plus in my book. (And the trailer for The Hills Have Eyes looks similarly retro. Woo.) Barring that, there's not too much more to recommend it. There's some good cinematography and a couple of really chilling parts... and that about wraps it up.

If you're a genre fan, I'd probably recommend it with marginal thumbs up. If not, no way.
Old 12-28-05, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw both Wolf Creek and Hostel back in September or so. They're quite different. Hostel is a bit more in your face, "look at how sadistic we can make this movie," than Wolf Creek is. I didn't think either were particularly great...though I do think that Tarantino's take on Jarratt's performance is right on.

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.