Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What happened to Mike Judge's Idiocracy?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What happened to Mike Judge's Idiocracy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Not as good as Office Space, but funnier than 99% of other Hollywood comedies that get wide release. Beats the snot out of movies like My Super Ex-Girlfriend and The Dukes of Hazzard.

I like how, in the future, you're allowed to just shout out "baitin'!" and that's an acceptable enough reason for whoever is knocking at your door to go away.
Totally agree. Well worth a rental.
Old 05-10-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Really?
God, what a bunch of humorless pussies.
How do people like this cope in the real world when they have no one to tattle to?
Not remembering that brilliant line of dialogue from the movie, I reasonably assumed it was a childish and hateful attack, so I was one of the people who reported the post.

Excuse me for being a humorless pussy. Calm down, you're acting unreasonable by being pissed off.
Old 05-10-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good way to make people happy after you've jokingly insulted them is to actually insult them by calling them humorless pussies.
Old 05-10-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this movie was pretty funny, the whole bit at the beginning showing how the future became that way with the "case study"

"Clevon is very lucky to be alive, he attempted to jump a jet ski from a lake to a swimming pool and impaled his crotch on a iron gate"
Old 05-11-07, 04:48 AM
Suspended

The film opened in France on April 27, 2007. The reaction is generally positive. This reviewer thinks Mike Judge is a genius and tells the whole Fox kerfuffle:

http://www.lequotidienducinema.com/article.php?sid=2415

Old 05-11-07, 04:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Not remembering that brilliant line of dialogue from the movie, I reasonably assumed it was a childish and hateful attack, so I was one of the people who reported the post.
Goes to show the power of a great script.
Old 05-11-07, 05:10 AM
Suspended

From a TIME magazine article:

A desperate Fox last fall even considered shooting Idiocracy ads that wouldn't show any of the movie at all. But the big studio marketing departments don't work well with high-concept campaigns and grass-roots marketing. They're designed to blast radio and TV into the mass consciousness. Stranger still, they seem not to care that marketing a movie's theatrical distribution can boost its eventual DVD sales, which Idiocracy is very likely to score on. (After a modest theatrical run, Office Space went on to sell 6 million DVDs and videotapes.) That may be because DVD marketing comes out of the DVD division's budget, and why help those guys? They're over in a different building.

Not that anybody will talk about any of that--you'll notice there are no quotes in this story. That's because Fox doesn't want to bad-mouth Judge, not even off the record, and Judge doesn't want to complain about Fox. Judge knows he works in an Office Space world with dumb bosses who can't market an offbeat movie and an Idiocracy world where audiences react mainly to CGI bells and whistles. The best he can hope to do is quietly keep making fun of those facts, and hope it plays a lot on cable.
Dude, Where's My Film?: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...3437-1,00.html
Old 05-11-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good premise.. but poorly executed. Or maybe just poorly pieced together due to any perceived "trouble," or.. conspiracy theories, more like it. Maybe Mike Judge overshot for what he could do with his budget. Maybe the movie just sucked from the start.. it's hard to say without any commentary from Mike Judge. It felt very direct-to-video to me.. I wanted to love it based on the concept, and some parts really showed potential genius, the wrestler president and the house of representin' were choice and the nurse selecting symptoms via picture buttons was nice.. but the rest of the stupidity seemed more like stoner-stupidity rather than genie lack of intelligence.
Old 05-11-07, 09:06 AM
Suspended

The film did feel unfinished and/or tampered with. If there were reshoots they didn't gel well with the rest of the film. I would have liked to have seen either the original cut, or the original script.

Still, I laughed a lot. Baitin!
Old 05-11-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked it the first time, watched it again and didn't like it so much. My problem is mainly that it feels like they shot 60% of the movie and then padded the whole thing with random filler and stuck in voiceover on top of said footage so you wouldn't notice. A good example is early on Joe is talking to people and the voice over guy is explaining how Joe's speech sounds strange to them -- that sounds like it could be a funny scene, but all we get is the voice over guy explaining it. Some of it was funny though.

"Shit, I'm pregnant again!"
Old 05-11-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only seen the film once, but really enjoyed it a lot.
Old 05-11-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 185 Posts

Yeah, because a direct quote from the movie in a thread about the movie is out of place...

And it was meant tongue-in-cheek, not as an attack. He was meant to laugh at that, not be upset about it.

But, whatever.
I didn't even get to read it! Can you email the quote to me? [email protected] .
Old 05-12-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
It wasn't that big a deal - it was just a quote of the doctor's "diagnosis" of Luke Wilson's character - baracine posted a clip of it in post #69 (heh - 69...)
and the audio of it here:
http://moviewavs.com/0028375953/WAVS...nyourchart.wav
Old 05-13-07, 08:53 AM
Suspended

After all this talk and watching the film again twice on youtube, I couldn't take it anymore and went out and bought it. The price varies from $ 14 CAN (Bloor Street Video) to $ 35 (Sunrise Records). My brother Denis who watched it on youtube and never likes anything I like, declared it a "perfect and intelligent comedy" except for the pat ending,
Spoiler:
which is like Dorothy not going home. I liked the ending for that very reason and think it's another positive element of the film, i.e. time machines are for dorks and an easy way out, script-wise.
The touchy-feely part of course is the hero actually relating to his weird and less-than-brilliant contemporaries - and vice-versa.

I had a private showing last night for a friend who works in the health system. He thought the hospital jokes were especially hilarious but a little too close to home, as far as he's concerned. He says he actually met nurses like the button-pushing hospital's receptionist.

Last edited by baracine; 05-13-07 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-13-07, 09:01 AM
Suspended

(heh - 69...)

Old 05-15-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's not the greatest film, but I'm sure 10 years from now people will be quoting it all the time. It's probably ahead of its time like office space.
Old 05-15-07, 06:17 PM

I for one loved the movie. I, like many of you followed the films progress. I bought it the day it came out and have passed it around to friends and co-workers, and get two reactions. One is "I loved it" then we quote some of the lines. Two is "It was ok" then we quote some of the lines. It does have the feeling that there was more filmed or not enough, but what was filmed and presented is funny and I hope years from now it is considered a classic. I hope Judge works with a different studio next time, he's too much of a genius to be treated this way.
Old 05-16-07, 06:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I for one loved the movie. I, like many of you followed the films progress. I bought it the day it came out and have passed it around to friends and co-workers, and get two reactions. One is "I loved it" then we quote some of the lines. Two is "It was ok" then we quote some of the lines. It does have the feeling that there was more filmed or not enough, but what was filmed and presented is funny and I hope years from now it is considered a classic. I hope Judge works with a different studio next time, he's too much of a genius to be treated this way.
I think it's a classic now.
Old 06-13-07, 09:38 AM
Suspended

And it's happening as we speak:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pltgk3Y0Omw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pltgk3Y0Omw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 06-14-07, 10:38 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
What is CNNNNNN?
Old 06-14-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hated this movie. I think I laughed once. Terribly bad. My roommate and I agreed...probably the worst comedy we've seen in a really, really long time.

= J
Old 06-14-07, 04:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What is CNNNNNN?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNNNN
Old 06-14-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
And it's happening as we speak:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pltgk3Y0Omw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pltgk3Y0Omw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
I saw that a while ago, it reminded me of Jay Walking, I chuckled for a second and flipped it off. You can find idiots anywhere if you look hard enough.
Old 06-15-07, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
I saw that a while ago, it reminded me of Jay Walking, I chuckled for a second and flipped it off. You can find idiots anywhere if you look hard enough.
You don't have to look very hard.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pfRUMmTs0ZA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pfRUMmTs0ZA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0e87uuThuh8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0e87uuThuh8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited by baracine; 06-15-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 12:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Finally caught this on HBO. A classic, definitely enjoyed it as much as Office Space, though it's shorter, so not as many laughs altogether. Mike Judge is a comic genius, brought to you by Carl's, Jr.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.