Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"One of the most famous edits ever done on film."

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"One of the most famous edits ever done on film."

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I wonder if the famous "disappearing behind a passing bus/truck" would fit in this thread?

You know where we see a character standing on the street, a bus passes between him and the camera and when it finishes passing the character is gone...in unbelievably speedy fashion
The funniest example of this kind of scene is in peter Jacksons Braindead.

In regards to the original post, I've seen numerous Bollywood movies (older ones from the 80's and 90's, not recent ones) where the first 15-20 mins of the movie tell about a man and a woman meeting up and starting to fall in love. Then when they are about to kiss they cut to a scene of a baby crying during delivery in a hospital.
I've also seen a few where the first 30 mins or so will go on about a thief or a big gangster or something, and during one scene there will be a close up of his face, then a blend with the face of a young boy who is apprarenty the mans son 10 years after he dies.

I'm sure some western movies have done the same thing, but I can't think of any right now.

Last edited by fmian; 12-24-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-24-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parker63
I think that it goes without saying that the most famous edit ever done would have to be 2001: A Space Odyssey (the bone throw-space edit).
Strongly agree!
Old 12-25-05, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was at an interesting Q&A with Josh Olson, the screenwriter of "A History Of Violence" who answered a question as to why Tom Stall was featured all over the news when he kills two guys in his diner, but he and his family blows away a handful of thugs (one notorious) in his front yard and no news people show up to cover it. Olson said something like "everyone watching this movie knows that a scene like that happened so I just couldn't be bothered to put it in. If it annoys you that much, pretend you saw it."
Old 12-25-05, 01:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a very odd 'jump cut' from the The Fifth Element which suggests that a scene was cut, after Bruce Willis' character meets up with the aliens in the opera house, he guns several down, but after coming out of some doors, his shirt is shredded up, without any previous scene explaining how this happened.
Old 12-25-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon2
What's vital to the story in showing the audience just exactly how they put a big ape in the cargo hold of a ship? Why would it be impossible to believe?

You believe seeing a giant ape; seeing him battle dinosaurs; seeing a little blond waif of a girl (even if she is a New Yorker) giving same giant ape some attitude, even after slinging her around like a rag doll, but you think showing how they got him on the ship would be an impossible to believe scene?

Presenting this on screen would not have been impossible to portray in neither the original, nor Jackson's version. They kept Kong unconscious wih cloroform, built a raft, floated him out to the Venture, chained him and put him a hold. In Jackson's Kong, it's rather incidently made obvious that the Venture is a cargo ship used for wild animal transporting, so this would be no stretch. Actually getting a giant ape into a hold would be difficult, but not impossible. The ships cargo cranes would be sufficient. And they would probably keep him underfed and sedated as much as possible for the trip.

The only reason this wasn't put on film (in the original) was that it was just considered unnecessary. Boring would be a better word.

While I agree that it is something that does not NEED to be shown it is however, impossible to do.

Kong was about half the size of the ship. Not to mention the ship was sinking and they had to offload everything that "wasn't bolted down" so the ship could float. Adding a giant gorilla couldn't have helped. Not to mention they would have had a pretty hard time keeping him out cold. How much cholorform does it take to keep Kong out for a few days? Not to mention they couldn't have kept throwing bottles at him while he was on the ship without knocking out the entire crew in the process. Also it would need a lot of tranquilizers to keep Kong out as well. Even if they got him back to New York, it must have been very hard to find a transport to get him into captivity, remember it was 1933. Is it absolutly vital that they show them doing this? No (in fact I'm happy they found SOMETHING to cut out). Is it impossible for a small crew of people to do all this? Yes. But then again there are a lot of little parts of this movie that are impossible. A normal person would not even be able to survive everything that Naomi Watts went through and she didn't even break a bone or seemed too hurt at all. This is just another thing you have to let go in order to enjoy the movie I think.
Old 12-26-05, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision
So this got me to thinking, what other movies use this technique to forward the story along without any real exposition, since the "missing" scene would require an impossible feat that audiences would never accept?
I seem to remember a scene like this in the movie Face Off. I didn't like the movie so I could be miss-remembering but I seem to remember a scene were the John Travolta character (being played by Nicolas Cage) escapes from a maximum security prison. It's so maximum security that it is built on an oil platform in the ocean. There is a big action packed prison escape (not a stealth escape) that ends with the Travolta/Cage character jumping off the platform into the ocean. Next scene we see him and he has escaped free and clear. No explanation that I remember of how he made it back to shore and why no one at the prison apparently had a boat or helicopter which would have allowed them to just pluck him back out of the water.
Old 12-29-05, 06:52 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Not to mention the ship was sinking and they had to offload everything that "wasn't bolted down" so the ship could float.
I think the point of throwing things overboard was to lighten the ship so it would dislodge from the rock it was stuck against. But that's just my take.
Old 12-29-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't King Kong shrink in size when he's not angry like The Hulk?
That was just my take.
Old 12-29-05, 07:35 PM
Cool New Member

Of course, why take the whole CGI ape back to New York when you can just copy the data to backup media and Fed Ex it?
Old 01-04-06, 07:22 AM
CWB

Not quite a single cut, but a triumph of speedy exposition:

The end of "North by Northwest" has Cary Grant holding on to Eva Marie Saint by her finger tips on Mount Rushmore with no way of stopping her from falling down the mountain. He is only prevented from slipping off the mountain himself by holding on by his fingertips to another outcrop.

The secondary villain is standing nearby, holding onto the MacGuffin containing secrets dangerous to the well-being of the USA. Upon being asked for help by Grant he comes over and stands on his fingers, crushing them into the rock. There is no hope left. How will Grant and Saint escape?

In the next 40 seconds we learn that not only was the villain thwarted, but she was saved, he was saved, the MacGuffin's secrets were saved for America, the secondary villain was killed, the main villain was captured and handed over to justice, Grant and Saint got married and are now living happily ever after and travelling back east.

That has to take the prize!