Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Woody Allen is mediocre and makes miserable films: Woody Allen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/1....oyvmkdg6.html
In his trademark pessimistic style, US cinema legend Woody Allen said he is a "mediocre" director of "miserable work". "I've disappointed myself most of the time," the New Yorker told BBC television, rejecting claims he is a film artist.

In London for the world premiere of his new film "Match Point", set in the British capital, Allen said: "People think I'm an intellectual because I wear glasses and they think I'm an artist because my films lose money".

Allen's movies have often been better received in Europe than in America but he said he was grateful for any US acclaim as it would have overlooked his "glaring faults and miserable work".

"I'm one of the smallest money making Academy Award winners in history," the 70-year-old said, referring to his Oscars for "Annie Hall" in 1977 and "Hannah and Her Sisters" in 1986.

"My relationship with the American audience is exactly the same as it has always been: they never came to see my films, and they don't come now.

"I've often said that the only thing standing between me and greatness is me," he mused.

Summing up his giant filmography as "mediocre", Allen said "Match Point", "Husbands and Wives" (1992) and "The Purple Rose of Cairo" (1985) were "three films of mine that are good films. Those are good films by anybody's standards".

Allen claimed he had led a pretty dull, middle-class life.

"I was married a couple of times. I'm not a dope addict, I don't drink. I'm not really a neurotic," he said.

He touched on his love of playing the clarinet.

"I'm a terrible clarinet player. But I play with my heart. I don't have a great ear for music," he said.

"It thrills me and it amazes me" that people turn up to watch his band, he said.
Old 12-19-05, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Self-deprecation and neurotic whining is funny, in small doses; something Woody should have learned at some point, but apparently never did. That being said, I am interested in seeing Match Point after the reviews I've read.
Old 12-19-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I haven't wanted to watch any of his shit since the 70's and the only reason i saw his 70's stuff was because I was a kid and didn't know any better. So I guess I would agree with him.

Anyway, Mach Point has my interest. But that's because of Scarlett Johansen....
Old 12-19-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mighty Aphrodite was good.

D
Old 12-19-05, 08:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He's made plenty of great films, but because they don't feature elves or "bullet time" they're way off the radar of the crowd on this forum.

If you watch Wild Man Blues, in particular the scene towards the end where Allen is talking to his parents, it becomes clear where his self-deprecation comes from.
Old 12-19-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
He's made plenty of great films, but because they don't feature elves or "bullet time" they're way off the radar of the crowd on this forum.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Guess what, Bullet time, CGI, SFX, and other things considered crack cocaine for the unwashed masses are ok. Contrary to what you may think, liking or disliking Woody Allen movies doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else.

NOTE TO SELF...it's ok not to like something because it's not your cup of tea....
Old 12-19-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am extremely glad the thread title came from a Woody quote...I would have had to come in here guns blazing! I like his self depricating style, but have to say, without a doubt, he's one of my top 10 filmmakers of all time. Even his disappointing movies have many great moments and the word on Match Point has me salivating... Surprised by the movies he lists as "good"...sure, they were good, but his resume includes some that are truly GREAT.

MATT
Old 12-19-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is Woody Allen being self deprecating a headline? That's like making a headline that says" 'I'm really rather good at boxing: Mohammed Ali'".
Old 12-19-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You say that like it's a bad thing. Guess what, Bullet time, CGI, SFX, and other things considered crack cocaine for the unwashed masses are ok. Contrary to what you may think, liking or disliking Woody Allen movies doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else.

NOTE TO SELF...it's ok not to like something because it's not your cup of tea....
That depends on what your definition of "better" is.

The fact that you relate it to crack cocaine should tell you something. Where I come from, crack is actually considered bad for you. And the people who can't get enough of it are typically uneducated, brain-dead losers. And the people that prefer a fine cognac instead are typically well-adjusted, well-bred, intellectuals.
Old 12-19-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I haven't wanted to watch any of his shit since the 70's and the only reason i saw his 70's stuff was because I was a kid and didn't know any better. So I guess I would agree with him.
A shame, you've missed some great movies like "Hannah and Her Sisters," "Sweet And Lowdown," "Deconstructing Harry," "Husbands and Wives," "Crimes and Misdemeanors," ... he's had some garbage ("Anything Else" might be the worst movie he's ever made) but is almost always at least worth a rental in my book.
Old 12-19-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, why do studios keep financing his films if he makes such little money with them?
Old 12-19-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always liked him. I admit i haven't seen a ton of his stuff. Mighty Aphrodite is one of my favorite films of all time, so is Annie Hall. He is definitly an acquired taste though. I know I never wanted to see anything of his when i was growing since my mom always talked about how much she disliked him. Thankfully a friend made me sit through Annie Hall or i probably would have never figured out that i liked him so much.
Old 12-19-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"Take The Money and Run" is still Woody's best movie.

Ironically, it could also be the slogan for his career as a director.
Old 12-19-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

well said and with that said, his movies suck.
Old 12-19-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crimes is one of the 5 movies I can give ***** to. Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, and the very underrated Sweet and Lowdown getting ****1/2, most of his 70's comedies (Bananas, Love and Death, Sleeper) at **** with Zelig, Radio Days, Broadway Danny Rose and Manhattan there to, ***1/2 for Hannah and her Sisters, Celebrity, Everyone Says I Love you, Bullets over Broadway, and Small Time Crooks (got so much better with repeat viewings), *** for Melinda and Melinda, Deconstructing Harry, Mighty Aphrodite, Interiors, and Everything you Wanted to Know about Sex, **1/2 for the rest of them probably and probably my lowest ** for Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.
Old 12-19-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, my old email address that I had since middle school is [email protected].
Old 12-19-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Yeah, why do studios keep financing his films if he makes such little money with them?
From what I know, he finances them through other means (foreign investors, etc), and just finds a studio to distribute them. I don't think he's made an actual "studio picture" for a long while.
Old 12-19-05, 02:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Minor quibble: Sweet and Lowdown is not based on a real person, it's completely fictional. But a good movie, nonetheless.
Old 12-19-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't wanted to watch any of his shit since the 70's
Neither have I. I just don't like or enjoy his style of films. The one's I have seen depressed me for a week.
Old 12-19-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts
Sweet and Lowdown was a great little film with amazing performances... even though he borrowed the main theme of the film from Fellini's La Strada.

It's actually kinda fun to try and find a Fellini or Bergman influence or reference in his films.
Old 12-19-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
Crimes is one of the 5 movies I can give ***** to. Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, and the very underrated Sweet and Lowdown getting ****1/2, most of his 70's comedies (Bananas, Love and Death, Sleeper) at **** with Zelig, Radio Days, Broadway Danny Rose and Manhattan there to, ***1/2 for Hannah and her Sisters, Celebrity, Everyone Says I Love you, Bullets over Broadway, and Small Time Crooks (got so much better with repeat viewings), *** for Melinda and Melinda, Deconstructing Harry, Mighty Aphrodite, Interiors, and Everything you Wanted to Know about Sex, **1/2 for the rest of them probably and probably my lowest ** for Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.
Reading this post was about as tedious as sitting through one of Woody Allen's movies.
Old 12-19-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Numanoid

That depends on what your definition of "better" is.

The fact that you relate it to crack cocaine should tell you something. Where I come from, crack is actually considered bad for you. And the people who can't get enough of it are typically uneducated, brain-dead losers. And the people that prefer a fine cognac instead are typically well-adjusted, well-bred, intellectuals.
Whatever. Whether it's getting high with high end powder or cooked up rocks the drug addict gets high and that, after all, is the main point. So pick your drug of choice and leave the other guy's drug choices the fuck alone because you both just wanna get high. Don't look down on him because he doesn't like YOUR drug....
Old 12-19-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Meh, nice to see he finally admits it.
Old 12-19-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
A shame, you've missed some great movies like "Hannah and Her Sisters," "Sweet And Lowdown," "Deconstructing Harry," "Husbands and Wives," "Crimes and Misdemeanors," ... he's had some garbage ("Anything Else" might be the worst movie he's ever made) but is almost always at least worth a rental in my book.

No I didn't. I've seen some of those on tv and cable and they just didn't do it for me.

I guess I'll go back to my gutter and drink malt liqour while eating cheetos and watchin' wrasslin'.
Old 12-19-05, 04:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

why no love for SLEEPER and LOVE AND DEATH. love his silly stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.