Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast Food Nation (2006, D: Linklater)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-05, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fox Searchlight Pictures has acquired North American distribution rights to "Fast Food Nation."

Directed by Richard Linklater, the film is a dramatic character study about the fast-food industry based on Eric Schlosser's nonfiction best-seller. A 2006 release is planned.

The ensemble cast includes Patricia Arquette, Bobby Cannavale, Luis Guzman, Ethan Hawke, Ashley Johnson, Greg Kinnear, Kris Kristofferson, Avril Lavigne, Esai Morales, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Lou Taylor Pucci, Ana Claudia Talancon and Wilmer Valderrama. It was shot in Mexico, Texas and Colorado.

Linklater, who met Schlosser four years ago when the author came through Austin on a book tour, said: "The idea that came out of our meetings was that the movie would not be a documentary but a character study of the lives behind the facts and figures. I'm more interested in fiction than nonfiction. You get to the point through human storytelling."

Linklater's recent credits include "School of Rock" and "Before Sunset," for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for best original screenplay.

Yahoo News
Old 12-19-05, 01:46 AM

abrol? in movies? it's aboot time
Old 12-19-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm interested in seeing this only because of Linklater's involvement.
Old 05-18-06, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X99n9BveKns
Old 05-18-06, 11:10 AM

mmmmm, I crave a milkshake now.
Old 05-18-06, 03:07 PM

I'm interested to see if Linklater can screw up even a great expose' like this.

Don't mess with "Fast Food Nation," Dick! It's already a great story that doesn't need ANY dramatic reworking!
Old 05-18-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GeorgeP
I'm interested to see if Linklater can screw up even a great expose' like this.

Don't mess with "Fast Food Nation," Dick! It's already a great story that doesn't need ANY dramatic reworking!
IMHO I found nothing great nor exposing about the book. Just a lot of obvious observations about fast food. If anything it made me crave McDonalds and In-n-Out even more. But I love Linklater, and think he could do a great job with it.
Old 08-02-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fast Food Nation trailer

An exclusive trailer popped up on YouTube. Looks good, now I understand what they mean by it not being a documentary. Looks like they took a lot of situations right out of the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X99n9BveKns
Old 08-03-06, 12:43 AM
Banned

It's been on there since May 16.
Old 11-18-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this today. While it had some good points and themes, the film is completely disjointed and major and minor story arcs seemingly disappear at random throughout. Linklater took the "Traffic" approach and tried to attack the story from every angle but rarely went through with most of his plots. Very disappointing.
Old 11-30-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Saw this today. While it had some good points and themes, the film is completely disjointed and major and minor story arcs seemingly disappear at random throughout. Linklater took the "Traffic" approach and tried to attack the story from every angle but rarely went through with most of his plots. Very disappointing.
I completely agree with Nitro. I saw the film the other night and while it was much darker than I was initially expecting (I was expecting something much lighter due to Linklater's past efforts), the film is an interesting failure to say the least. Characters are thrown into the mix as fast as they're taken out, character arcs are never fully developed despite the film's first act relying more on character development than anything else, and story arcs never materialize despite what is foreshadowed. Granted, I was engaged throughout the entire film, however, I left the theater in disappointment when the film just suddenly ends leaving many character and story arcs in the dust with no real closure.
Old 11-30-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure I'll end up seeing this, as I really liked the book. Does the movie cover the mad cow situation and the attempted fast food unionization?
Old 12-01-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Andalusia
I'm sure I'll end up seeing this, as I really liked the book. Does the movie cover the mad cow situation and the attempted fast food unionization?
Not that I remember.

This film really feels like an hour of it got gutted out. I'm hoping the DVD is a much longer cut that actually concludes and fleshes out the multiple plot lines.
Old 03-08-07, 03:35 PM

Watched the DVD yesterday and had the same reaction as some others. I was enjoying Greg Kinnear's role and then poof...vanished. Loved Catalina Sandino Moreno in Maria Full of Grace, but she was pretty much a minor player in this one. Avril Lavigne....ummmm...no.

It did affect me in one way. I had a fast food burger today because Bruce Willis convinced that it was ok to eat a little s*** as long as it was cooked.
Old 03-08-07, 04:05 PM
Suspended

The story with the girl and the releasing of the cows just stopped the movie dead for me. It really went nowhere.
Old 03-09-07, 04:00 AM
Banned

Okay I liked this movie. It felt like a feature film version of "Super Size Me" with Illegals The way the Mickeys employees were talking I thought there was going to be a robbery scene. I did not care for the ending because it felt like there was no resolution and way too many loose ends. I felt Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke and Ashley Johnson had great chemistry. Overall it was worth a rental 3/5