Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

M. Night Shyamalan's : Lady in the water

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw the trailer for this, looks like it could be pretty good (although the trailer doesn't really give away much) Anyone else looking forward to this?

Here's a link to the trailer... http://www.moviecentre.net//upcoming...ie_id_1124.htm
Old 12-18-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
M. Night Shyamalan = One trick pony.

Old 12-18-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BradJ
M. Night Shyamalan = One trick pony.

Wow this is a first!
Old 12-18-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In the past I would have been excited. I love Paul Giamati and liked The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. But for me, M. Knights films have been getting worse with Signs and The Village dissapointing me big time. I will not see this film in a theater like other M Knights films, I will wait for the dvd to come out.
Old 12-18-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've loved each and every one of M. Night's films and I can't wait to see this.
Old 12-18-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved all his movies (I thought signs was great) except for the village. Seemed like the whole movie was based on the surprise ending...but on the other hand I know alot of people who LOVED the movie. The preview for this one looks pretty cool. We'll see........
Old 12-18-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Definately looking forward to it.
Old 12-18-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If The Village didn't exist, my hopes would be higher for this. I liked Signs and Sixth Sense, but hated Unbreakable and The Village. Giamatti could make it worth watching.
Old 12-18-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The trailer didn't really do much for me.
Old 12-18-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Is this the actual trailer, or is it a teaser?

Seems like the strategy to this "trailer" (if that's what it actually is) is to reveal as little information as possible so that we won't guess the "surprise" before watching it.
I hope this movie has more to it than surprises.
Old 12-18-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to it, I have liked all of his movies. I even liked the village. I think it suffered from the fact that everyone thought the movie was just about "being surprised" when in fact it was a fairly good commentary on organized religion. I found it interesting. The fact that those in the "know" can control the uneducated by using scare tactics and imagery.

Anyway. Trailer doesn't give too much away. I'll be there in the theatres for it.
Old 12-18-05, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by firteen88
I loved all his movies (I thought signs was great) except for the village. Seemed like the whole movie was based on the surprise ending...but on the other hand I know alot of people who LOVED the movie. The preview for this one looks pretty cool. We'll see........

agree, loved signs, its my favorite movie from him, the village started out good but didnt like the monster being a guy in a suit deal, but liked how he keeps the people from the outside world
Old 12-18-05, 09:36 PM

The village is my favorite. I think he's a good filmmaker who's still growing-- his techincal abilities are top notch, its his scripts that I have problems with. Not because of the twist endings, though those are becoming an old hat for him.

This one looks like it could be good, paul giamatti with bryce dallas howard is something to look forward to.
Old 12-18-05, 10:22 PM

Keep in mind that this is actually a film "for" children.
Old 12-18-05, 11:26 PM

I think his first three films were great. The Village missed the mark, but had some interesting moments.
Old 12-18-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The Village is one of my favorite movies. I am looking foward to this.
Old 12-19-05, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ovid
Keep in mind that this is actually a film "for" children.

Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti) has been quietly trying to disappear among the burned-out lightbulbs and broken appliances of the Cove apartment complex. But on the night that irrevocably changes his life, Cleveland finds someone else hiding in the mundane routine of the modest building – a mysterious young woman named Story (Bryce Dallas Howard), who has been living in the passageways beneath the building's swimming pool. Cleveland discovers that Story is actually a "narf" – a nymph-like character from an epic bedtime story who is being stalked by vicious creatures determined to prevent her from making the treacherous journey from our world back to hers. Story's unique powers of perception reveal the fates of Cleveland's fellow tenants, whose destinies are tied directly to her own, and they must work together to decipher a series of codes that will unlock the pathway to her freedom. But the window of opportunity for Story to return home is closing rapidly, and the tenants are putting their own lives at great risk to help her. Cleveland will have to face the demons that have followed him to the Cove – and the other tenants must seize the special powers that Story has brought out in them – if they hope to succeed in their daring and dangerous quest to save her world...and ours.

This does not sound to much like a kiddie story to me,very interesting sounding to me.
Old 12-19-05, 12:48 AM

So many people knock on the Village. I'd have to say that The Village and Unbreakable actually tie as my favorite of his films, with Signs in second (or third?) and the Sixth Sense as my least, even though I still liked it.

I feel like people went into the Village with the wrong mind set. Too many people looking for the surprises or wanting to be scared. I thought the real treat were the great characters. Though I admit I thought the film was okay at best, but when one of my friends watched it and asked me about what I thought, and I explained it back to her, I realized I picked up more than I thought I did and the movie was working on more than one layer, and those other layers just flew right by people's heads.
Old 12-19-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Aye.. Personally

Signs > Unbreakable > ... > Sixth Sense & The Village

Hope this is decent, and I hope it doesn't rely on some kitschy ending.
Old 12-19-05, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
So many people knock on the Village. I'd have to say that The Village and Unbreakable actually tie as my favorite of his films, with Signs in second (or third?) and the Sixth Sense as my least, even though I still liked it.

I feel like people went into the Village with the wrong mind set. Too many people looking for the surprises or wanting to be scared. I thought the real treat were the great characters. Though I admit I thought the film was okay at best, but when one of my friends watched it and asked me about what I thought, and I explained it back to her, I realized I picked up more than I thought I did and the movie was working on more than one layer, and those other layers just flew right by people's heads.
Well for me both The Village and Signs were marketed wrong. Signs you think you are seeing Aliens when it's really about a man getting his faith back and with the Village you think you are seeing a monster film but it's really about religion and government control through fear.
Old 12-19-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m really looking forward to it. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were great IMHO, the later two weaker but still fair to good. Just because I was disappointed a bit by some of his films doesn’t faze me much. I can’t think of a single director who’s entire work is perfect in my mind.
Old 12-19-05, 04:48 AM

How come no one ever mentions "Wide Awake, which is terrible, or "Praying with Anger" which no one has ever seen.
Old 12-19-05, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by gfoots
How come no one ever mentions "Wide Awake, which is terrible, or "Praying with Anger" which no one has ever seen.

Probably because no one has ever seen them...
Old 12-19-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question.........
Old 12-19-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this trailer. His trailers are essentially teasers, but they are done so well... they bring you in... wondering what it's about... begin the story in a sense...
Very non-traditional. People can say this guy is a one-trick poney all they want, but trailers like these really show off that he's a great story-teller.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.