Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Should it be legal for movie theaters to use cell phone jammers?
Yes
79.70%
No
20.30%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Theater owners want cell phones blocked

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
What movie was it? You remember, don't you?
Actually I do. New York Minute. I am NOT joking... Conversations about this lasted for at least 3 weeks. So disgusting.
Old 12-19-05, 12:47 AM

Yes!

I've been asking for this for years! Ever since I heard Japan does it in theaters and art galleries, I've said we need that here. And the phones would (if other places are any way to judge) only be blocked in the actual theater, so parents can call their kids in the lobby before going inside. To be honest, I want a personal blocker to block everyone's phone within a thirty foot radus and I'd be a happy man.
Old 12-19-05, 01:44 AM

I can't believe that there is even a debate! Why are theaters looking to use cell phone blockers? Because for years theaters have been asking people politely to turn off their cell phones and pagers and a group of people have consistantly felt so self important as to ignored them! How do you get someone to stop ignoring you? Don't give them a choice. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with theaters being able to block cell signals in theaters because I ALWAYS turn off my phone before the film begins. Emergency reasoning is bullshit, because people have had emergencies since the dawn of man and cell phones have only been widespread in the past 10 years. The world kept turning just fine before that. If you're a person against cell blockage in theaters, you're exactly the person that this is aimed at. As I said, I have no problem with this because I always turn my phone off, LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO!

Cliff
Old 12-19-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go for it. Shit, this one fucker in the theater when I saw Kong was recording most of the film on his fucking fone. The LCD screen of which is VERY distracting. I couldn't believe nobody around him said anything so I finally yelled out "turn off that cell fone"
Old 12-19-05, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think blocking is the answer. And to the comment that a doctor on call should not go to a bar and get drunk, I think you are missing the point. A doctor who is on call has every right to go to a movie, and absolutely has to be able to be contacted if he is needed.

People say it isn't important, but I'm sure that opinion would change if their cell was blocked and they missed an important call.

Why can't people just put their phone on vibrate. If it buzzes, take a quick look at the incoming number. If it is urgent, step outside of the theater and make your call. If not, put it back into your pocket. Problem solved.

Now, about those annoying people who feel the need to talk throughout the film .. kill em.
Old 12-19-05, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
[QUOTE=achau9598I think you are missing the point. A doctor who is on call has every right to go to a movie, and absolutely has to be able to be contacted if he is needed.
[/QUOTE]

And you're missing our point. If there is a sign posted about the potential of being recorded on camera where ever there is a camera in a public place then it would be a safe bet that they would have signs warning folks that their cell phones and means of communication would be blocked in the theatre.

Last I heard, if you are on call you need to be reachable. Doctor should have realized that he would not be reachable in the blocked theatre and thus should not be there if there is the potential of him being needed.

He has every right to go to the movies. It will just be against his better judgement to go at that given time. Much like I have every right to bear arms. I just have to use my judgement as to where I fire at.
Old 12-19-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have yet to notice someone on the phone at the movies, and I don't have a cell phone myself... so i don't care either way.
Old 12-19-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^Take a ride on over to New York City, the mecca of the inconsiderate.
Old 12-19-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matome
^^Take a ride on over to New York City, the mecca of the inconsiderate.
No thank you.

I'll stay here in Pleasantville.
Old 12-19-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
Except the doctor didn't show up. He was on call, but he went to the movies and his pages were blocked.

And why would this stop with movie theaters if allowed? If active blockers were allowed, don't you think any number of places would install them? Restaurants, for example. Gasoline stations, as well (they could even cite the non-existant-but-still-feared danger cell phones supposedly create, and if you own the pay phones, there's a potential added bonus). Schools. I could even see cities putting up blockers along the roadway to prevent people from talking on them while driving (no sillier than any number of things my city counsel does every session).

If we're going to open the can of worms, we may end up not being all that happy about the end result.

Block 'em, don't block 'em. I don't care one way or another (nobody ever calls me anyway, and I always turn mine off before going to the theater), but even a guarantee of no cell phone interruptions would change my theater-going habits. Cell phones have not been a common-enough problem for me to even think about it prior to choosing to go to the movie when many other factors that NATO and its members apparently support do (the fast-rising price of a ticket and the ever-expanding pre-show advertisements are much bigger factors in my mind. I'd gladly let them discuss cellphones once they address and solve those other issues first. But I don't see them falling all over themselves to come up with a customer-favoring solution for those issues).

Your slippery slope argument seems a bit dramatic. Movies are supposed to be quiet, hence the need (or request) for blockers. None of the other places you mentioned have such a need. Any blockers in those kinds of places would be for convenience as much as anything. And yes, having no cell phone service in a movie theatehr is convenience too, but its a necessary convenience. Silences is not needed in a resteraunt or a gas station. Schools are different, because you're at a school for an entire day, not a few hours. And you're not there for entertainment purposes. All the examples you gave can be distinguished from a movie theater.

Besides, if someone really needed to be available, they will either not go to the movies (as some poster previously mentioned) OR they could leave their phone with someone before they go in (say the manager of the theater). I'm sure some process could be worked out to allow for absolute emergencies. Otherwise, is there a good reason not to do this?
Old 12-19-05, 08:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
When I saw King Kong this weekend, before the movie there was a little spot that showed a guy chatting on his cell phone. Suddenly, a huge ray blasts him into obilivion. Then the tag line appears: "Turn off your cell phones. Don't anger the space aliens." The entire theater burst into applause.

The sad thing about this whole discussion is that we need to force people to exercise common courtesy.
Old 12-19-05, 08:49 AM

My favorite turn-off-your-cell pre-movie commercial was the one with the Native Americans... it looked like it was going to be some documentary or something, and it was talking about the ritual for this one guy to become a man by going on the great buffallo hunt. And as the two of them crept up on the hill and spotted the buffallo, you hear a cell phone ring, and they look at the audience in surprise and the buffallo stampede away. I've only seen it once, but it was great. I'd like to see the aliens one as well.
Old 12-19-05, 09:04 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by achau9598
A doctor who is on call has every right to go to a movie, and absolutely has to be able to be contacted if he is needed.
That's why I think my idea of using passive blocking in certain showings, and not using it in others (and advertising which is which) is the perfect compromise.

People on call, with kids with the sitter, etc can go and keep their phone on so they can run out and return calls if there's an emergency. And those that want no distractions can catch the shows with cell phones blocked.
Old 12-19-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
Actually I do. New York Minute. I am NOT joking... Conversations about this lasted for at least 3 weeks. So disgusting.
I worked at a theatre and caught a dude whacking during Cruel Intentions...not a pretty sight...he actually was the ONLY one in the theatre but still...not cool...not cool at all..

And my pet peeve at the theatre is FOOT TAPPING... People who don't kick seats but tap their motherfucking foot the whole damn time...I've told people to stop...but usually they start up again moments later....

MATT
Old 12-19-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Legal? Sure, no problem. I think the policy should be very visible, however.

Should they? I don't know. Odds are, some theatres would do it, and others wouldn't, so if you had to keep your device on, you could go to one that doesn't do it. And everyone else who wanted relative quiet would go to the blocking one.

But I agree, the problem isn't the tool, it's the use of the tool. If mine rings in a place where it should be quiet, and I forget to set it on 'vibe' or 'silent', I hit 'reject' which sends it right to voicemail, then I check it later. The bigger problem, as I'm sure I've said before, is this inherent selfishness and egoism and me-first, I'm-who-counts attitude that is so highly prevalent in today's society. I'll admit, I'm selfish and I [and my family] count most to me, but I'm also not an asshole--I don't cut in line, I try to be aware of my surroundings and behave appropriately.
Old 12-19-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A doctor who is on call has every right to go to a movie, and absolutely has to be able to be contacted if he is needed.
If it's his shift/turn to be on call, and he knows he can't use a cell in a theatre, then he doesn't go to the theatre while on call. He can catch the film when he's not on call.
Old 12-19-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did doctors go to the movies before cell phones were popular?
Old 12-19-05, 09:42 AM

Just playing the devil's advocate for a moment, but if it's selfish for someone to bring their cell phone to the movies because it may or may not be important to be able to be contacted, isn't it just as selfish to consider your movie going experience to be more important than their situation? I mean, it's like driving. If you are driving down the road and some guy speeds up past you and then he cuts you off and jets down the road, we automatically think "frickin jerk!" But that guy could be late to work. He could be on the way to the hospital from work to try and get there before his wife gives birth. He could be going to a friend's house who is about to commit suicide. He could be trying to escape from the police because he just robbed a bank. I mean, in the long run, who is being selfish?
Old 12-19-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Late to work = selfish.
Pregnant woman in the car, child bleeding profusely = not so selfish.
Suicidal friend = call the police
Rob the bank = selfish greedy crook, who's now endangering innocent people after committing a felony--f'im.
Of course, there are those who'd say Call an ambulance, because that's their job, and people [usually] get out of the way of an ambulance running with lights/siren.

If a cell phone rings in a theatre, and it rings once, and the owner gets up and leaves the theater before conversing, I don't have a problem with that in itself. Of course he should plan for that, and sit near an aisle.

I'm sure doctors did go the theatre before cell phones. They probably either paused the film and said "is there a doctor in the house", or sent an actual usher to quietly get the doc.
Old 12-19-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
No. "Little Timmy is in the emergency room. I tried to call you, but couldn't get through so I called the theater and had an usher come get you.
Fixed, and solved.

Now you're going to say, "How many times have you ever seen an usher come in and announce that someone is needed on the phone?" Exactly my point. To make it possible for a million rude people to hold meaningless calls because there's a remote chance that one guy may need to get contacted because Timmy fell down the well is ridiculous.

I assume all of you presenting arguments against blocking calls never go into large bulidings or basements where you can't get reception, never leave your phone at home or in the car, always carry your phone even into places like the swimming pool or skiiing. If that describes you, I've got news for you. You're way more important in your own mind than you are in real life. And you're neurotic. Take a pill.
Old 12-19-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Nah, don't block'em. Just post ushers in full Sam Fisher mode (night vision gear and silenced pistols) at the front of the house to take out inconsiderate asshats.
Old 12-19-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't think blocking is the answer. And to the comment that a doctor on call should not go to a bar and get drunk, I think you are missing the point. A doctor who is on call has every right to go to a movie, and absolutely has to be able to be contacted if he is needed.
Originally Posted by Damed
If it's his shift/turn to be on call, and he knows he can't use a cell in a theatre, then he doesn't go to the theatre while on call. He can catch the film when he's not on call.
Some doctors are on call 24/7 and have very busy schedules on top of that. Do they not have a right to go out and relax for an evening even if they are on call? Same with firefighters. How would you feel if a couple firefighters who are buddies went to check out Kong and your house burned down b/c they couldn't take the page? Sounds pretty selfish on your part.

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That's why I think my idea of using passive blocking in certain showings, and not using it in others (and advertising which is which) is the perfect compromise.
Sounds reasonable, but more like an open invitation to the talkers at the non blocked showing.

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
Just playing the devil's advocate for a moment, but if it's selfish for someone to bring their cell phone to the movies because it may or may not be important to be able to be contacted, isn't it just as selfish to consider your movie going experience to be more important than their situation?
Precisely. I totally agree with you on that one. The "me first" attitude.

Originally Posted by CliffStephenson
If you're a person against cell blockage in theaters, you're exactly the person that this is aimed at. As I said, I have no problem with this because I always turn my phone off, LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO!
What, do you want a cookie? Gimmie a break, that is such a broad generalization it is absurd. I am a new parent and a cell is a bit of piece of mind that allows me to relax and enjoy the film when I have a 18 month old at home in the hands of a 13 year old. Getting out of the house for a night out with the wife to catch the latest release is a way to unwind. That being said, my wife turns her phone off and I keep mine on vibrate. Pretty simple concept. So it all comes back to this astute observation:

I'd rather theaters brought back ushers and expelled rude people. The problem is people's lack of courtesy, not the telephones.
So those that want to block a signal are basically saying they want a legal way to enforce common courtesy. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 12-19-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only should they block the phones, but anyone caught opening one during the movie (with the LCD display that can be seen 20 aisles back) should be removed from the theater and flogged.
Old 12-19-05, 11:03 AM

No. "Little Timmy is in the emergency room. I tried to call you, but couldn't get through."

I'd rather theaters brought back ushers and expelled rude people. The problem is people's lack of courtesy, not the telephones.
Totally agree. Those of us that have kids home with a babysitter can understand. However, there is no excuse not to turn the phone to vibrate before you step foot in the theater.
Old 12-19-05, 11:07 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sounds reasonable, but more like an open invitation to the talkers at the non blocked showing.
Nah, they could still show the ads saying not to talk or use the phone in the theater, put phones on vibrate and go to the lobby to return calls etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.