DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Family Stone - quick review (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/449148-family-stone-quick-review.html)

Patman 12-17-05 06:19 PM

The Family Stone - quick review

The trailer to this film makes it out to be a light, heartwarming film filled with holiday good cheer and laughter. It's a bit darker than that, and the laughs are toned down in relation to the storytelling.

I didn't think the first act wasn't all that great of a set-up for the film (and the plot development becomes very predictable), but as it rolls forward, the film picks up steam, and it becomes a bittersweet film highlighting the bonds of family, love and friendship.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

The Nature Boy 12-17-05 07:05 PM

I will probably see it just to watch those moments of Rachel McAdams in glasses. What a fox!

Patman 12-17-05 07:27 PM

It's amazing how good McAdams looks without a lot of make-up in the film, as well.

scott shelton 12-17-05 10:53 PM

Diane Keaton is incredible in this. I would recommend it just for her alone.

Sunday Morning 12-18-05 07:05 PM

I thought it was a nice return to what's become an old fashioned sensibility in movie making. It's a cross between a screwball comedy and a tear jerker...And for the most part it really works. All the actors are great. Even Craig T. Nelson is pretty good. Who would've thought that was possible. It's at turns real, funny, a bit too silly, a bit too sappy, but yet you come out of it feeling good and if you've had an experience. The audience clapped. With good reason.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED holiday viewing.

Star Wars Guy 12-19-05 11:07 AM

I too anticipated a full all-out comedy and was thrown by how serious it got. Still, I give it a thumbs up.

Giles 12-19-05 11:08 AM

I absolutely loathed this movie, I was trying not to choke on my own vomit, from the sheer one dimensionality of this film. Predictable, trite, dumb dialogue, it's quite sad to see a number of talented actors wasted on such a really bad script.

Dr. DVD 12-21-05 08:17 AM

Saw it. Took a girl, or I probably wouldn't have seen it. Glad I went, it was a nice little Christmas movie, but not a classic, though I loved the little Meet Me in St. Louis tribute. The serious bit threw me, though I knew from reading reviews it was an element.

My main liking: Rachel McAdams. :drool: Please, let this girl become a star so we may see more of her! She's far more deserving than Lindsay Lohan.

CKMorpheus 12-23-05 11:45 AM

My girl made me follow her along to see this and I ended up liking it a lot more than she did. Great acting across the board; Diane Keaton was heartbreaking; Rachel McAdams was a FOX.

I felt the first thirty minutes were a little sloppy, but it starts finding its momentum in the last few acts. Was I the only one who couldn't see that the deaf son was gay until about a half hour in? I figured his boyfriend was either a college roommate, adopted, or just a family friend.

Anyway, A-.

Star Wars Guy 12-23-05 01:24 PM

I wonder if that was intentional because I thought the same thing. The 2 don't do or say anything that would say "we're a gay couple", unless there was something I missed.

Patman 12-23-05 02:17 PM

I knew they were gay the instant they came through the door.

Giles 12-25-05 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I knew they were gay the instant they came through the door.

and interracial, and one of the two: deaf... -ohbfrank- (oh brother)

B.A. 12-29-05 06:17 PM

The wife and I just saw it this afternoon and we both loved it. **** out of *****.

We thought the cast and their performance was top-notch, except for SJP - for some reason, she irks the hell out of both us and has for years. It was mostly predictable, but sometimes that is not a bad thing if done properly.

Claire Danes just gets better looking the older she gets.

digitalfreaknyc 01-20-06 07:54 PM

I know i'm late on this one but caught it today. My family had seen it this week and urged me to see it. My dad even said he'd go again.

So I went and saw it alone. I don't even think i had seen a trailer. Absolutely loved it. I haven't cried this hard at a movie in a very very long time.

Also haven't been this inspired in a very long time either. Being gay in a family who is very accepting...a lot of what I saw mirrored my own life. I also (for the most part) only date interracially and it was fantastic that everything was just accepted. No issues. No drama about it. It just "was." Plus the fact that they wanted to have a child makes me give this a big :up:

THIS is the movie the "gay community" should be proud of. Not that Brokeback thing.

digitalfreaknyc 01-20-06 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
I wonder if that was intentional because I thought the same thing. The 2 don't do or say anything that would say "we're a gay couple", unless there was something I missed.

The holding hands. Them coming in together. Sleeping together. Staring at one another. Being introduced as being together.

Did you actually WATCH the movie? :)

Giantrobo 01-20-06 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I know i'm late on this one but caught it today. My family had seen it this week and urged me to see it. My dad even said he'd go again.

So I went and saw it alone. I don't even think i had seen a trailer. Absolutely loved it. I haven't cried this hard at a movie in a very very long time.

I liked it but it did leave me with some mixed emotions by the end.

Also haven't been this inspired in a very long time either. Being gay in a family who is very accepting...a lot of what I saw mirrored my own life. I also (for the most part) only date interracially and it was fantastic that everything was just accepted. No issues. No drama about it. It just "was." Plus the fact that they wanted to have a child makes me give this a big :up:

THIS is the movie the "gay community" should be proud of. Not that Brokeback thing.
Interesting comment and although I've yet to see Brokeback Mountian, I can see your point.

B.A. 01-20-06 10:18 PM

This is one of the few films that I have recommended to family/friends and received no grief in return after they went to see it. They have all loved it, even my dad (who is a bit of an old-school military homophobe).

Kal-El 01-02-07 03:48 PM

My wife picked this as one of our $5 PV purchase at a Hollywood Video kiosk in the mall and watched it over New Year's Eve. I actually ended up loving it. I vaguely remember it in TV Spots but SJP turned me off from seeing it.

Claire Danes looked great in it as well as Rachel McAdams.

digitalfreaknyc 01-02-07 04:13 PM

Funny you should mention it. My dad just watched it AGAIN over the holidays and so did one of my good friends. He had his sister watch it.

I'm glad others are discovering it.

EdTheRipper 01-02-07 05:22 PM

I watched this a few weeks ago. Great movie...a tad bit predictable but I enjoyed it regardless.

Count Dooku 01-03-07 12:27 AM

I just watched this on HBO last week, and I thought it sucked.

Giantrobo 01-03-07 03:57 AM

Yeah after rewatching it on HBO I like more than I did at first but not by much.

CinemaNut 01-03-07 12:07 PM

This and Spanglish have really grown on me

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Me doing Borat, commenting on Family Stone and Spanglish

Sabrett 01-03-07 12:17 PM

Wow, I didn't know that many people liked this movie. This movie has been sitting in my unwatched pile since it came out and I always put off watching it. Now I might have to move it to the top of the pile...