Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Modern Theatre Experience (merged with RANT)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Modern Theatre Experience (merged with RANT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh. Good story.
Old 05-25-06, 08:10 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to see "Over the Hedge" at a late showing last night (my second viewing). The hall was practically empty so my friend and I sat right in the middle of the steeply-inclined digital projection theatre. Right away the seats around us started filling up and four (exceedingly good-looking and elegant) teen-age Asian girls sat just in front of us. For the whole film, it was like overlooking a secretarial pool at work. They all had cellphones with luminous screens on which they kept checking and sending e-mail or text messages (I didn't pry) or cruising the internet, at least once that I saw for ... a movie trailer! They had turned down their cellphones to low but that was still extremely annoying, even if the phones didn't ring very often as they were on the phone a great part of the time. One of them was taking notes in a notepad with a night-light on (doing her calculus homework?). As the four of them regularly excused themselves and took turns leaving the theatre and coming back, I couldn't be sure if they had weak bladders or took the more intimate calls outside, for which we should all be thankful. They didn't watch the movie much and they certainly missed the joke about the "bitch" character driving her SUV while conducting business on the phone and drinking coffee...

My question: Was I witnessing a ring of call-girls at work turning tricks in the washroom all night or just typical teenagers on a night out (or both)? Britney Spears has blurred the line for me...

Last edited by baracine; 05-25-06 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As if people talking on cell phones isn't bad enough ... the illumniated screens might distract me even more.
Old 05-25-06, 08:44 AM

kids have no respect today. how about when there is a line for a movie and some people just cut it pretend they dont know it is a line
Old 05-25-06, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
RANT: Posters please use the search function!!!
Old 05-25-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Moral of this often discussed topic: Keep your kids at home until they can properly sit through a movie without disturbing others. I know I did.
Old 05-25-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I saw Poseidon last week, a couple actually wheeled in a double-stroller. Fortunately, I didn't hear a peep from them.
Old 05-25-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Some of these stories are exactly the reason why I now:

A.) Don't see very many movies in the theater anymore and

B.) If I do go see it a movie, it is on a weeknight/weekday and/or after it has been out for minimum of two to three weeks. Thank god for the 50% or more drop-offs after a week or I would never see a movie in the theater.
Old 05-25-06, 10:17 AM

My experience was worse. When we went to see the Da Vinci code, the family not only brought a 5/6 year old kid but also brought a toddler to boot. The baby was screaming now and then. The 5 year old kid shouted out "Mommy! That guy is scary" when Silas showed up on the screen naked and whipping himself. After about 20 minutes, I got up and complained to the manager. The couple (and the kids) left the movie after about the first 30 minutes. But it still spoiled the viewing for the rest of us.

In any case, everyone that faces a similar problem has to complain to the theater management. If you keep your mouth shut, then this problem will just get worse. But if the noisy party has to leave the movie (because of someone's complaint), they are going to be less prone to repeat the same mistake in the future.
Old 05-25-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I dont get some people. I never forgot when a couple walked into the Cell with what at best had to be 10 year old boy. Luckily the chain scene was too intense and the walked the annoying kid out and they never returned.
Old 05-25-06, 02:48 PM

Prices have gotten so outrageous (sp?) for movies in the theater these days that it is literally cheaper to buy the dvd blind than to take my wife to the theater. And that's just ticket prices not even mentioning concessions!

On top of that add in what appears to be a lack of concern about the quality of the presentation by the theater (well and the anti-piracy dots that studios like putting on the film these days).

On top of all that add in other people and the proliferation of cell phones these days...and I am not talking about just ringing! Glowing screens and even just blinking status lights from phones/pdas/bluetooth sets that are bright and distracting in a dark theater. Kids and rude people talking or making noise in whatever other way as well.

All that and I just have zero desire to ever go to a theater again. I quite literally get better picture, better sound, less distractions, and cheaper cost by watching them at home on DVD.
Old 05-25-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats why you go late.
Old 05-25-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Rant: I went to see DaVinci Code, and the movie sucked - I'm never seeing a movie again!
Old 05-25-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
This thread more or less explains why, if there is a major event movie, I go either to a midnight show with the hardcore fans who only want to see the film, or to an early morning show the next day if I have it off.

While any movie I attend at a regular time tends to have the aspects mentioned, I am batting pretty good with midnight showings. Batman Begins, ROTS, Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire, and Narnia all went off without any problems. I went and saw Kong on its first night as opposed to a midnight, and I got a bunch of little kids behind me who would say :"That's Kong! That's Kong!" every time he was onscreen.
Hoping my midnight showing streak continues tonight with X3. Hoping....