DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   So, "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance"...? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/448999-so-sympathy-mr-vengeance.html)

OldBoy 12-16-05 09:21 AM

So, "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance"...?

i was expecting it to be a little twisty. there were no real plot reveals or hallucinogenic moments of messed-upness. you know i mean similar to "Oldboy" in tone. don't get me wrong, it was macabre and surreal-ly shot, but rather straightforward. or, did i miss something?

ChrisKnudsen 12-16-05 09:29 AM

Spoiler:
I expected everyone to die and that is what happened. Part of me didn't want them to die. I guess I didn't expect the girl to drown.

But I didn't think the
Spoiler:
terrorist group
was real and actually a joke for him to stop until the end when they
Spoiler:
stabbed that letter on his chest
which could have been done without the end voiceover by the girl.

OldBoy 12-16-05 09:38 AM

yeah, i think the only shock moment came when
Spoiler:
the terrorist group came calling and i did think through 2/3 of the movie that Ryu was actually the "Mr." in the title

Dan1boy 12-16-05 11:36 AM

Liked this one a lot..not as much as 'Oldboy' though.

Does anyone know what the title of the last of these 'revenge' films is called and if its scheduled for a R1 release? Thanks in advance!

GrimTangent 12-16-05 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy

Does anyone know what the title of the last of these 'revenge' films is called and if its scheduled for a R1 release? Thanks in advance!

I believe it's called "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance". I don't know about any DVD release yet.

OldBoy 12-16-05 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy

R3 comes out 12/22 and i'm all over it.

NestoJR 12-17-05 01:47 AM

none of his movies are like Oldboy. Its a modern classic and for him to top it would be impossible.

That said, SFMV I thought was very good if not depressing. Expect SFLV to be similar and no, not at all like Oldboy. I think too many ppl have been exposed to Oldboy first and then expect his other movies to be similar. His previous efforts all were good, I've seen 'em, OldBoy is the pinnacle I believe though.

ChrisKnudsen 12-17-05 04:38 AM

I have high hopes for Lady Vengence seeing that it comes after Oldboy. Mr. Vengence was great but not as good as Old Boy. Probably a ***1/2 out of *****.

starseed1981 12-17-05 08:52 AM

Lady Vengenace is better than Mr. but not as good as Oldboy. To me, lady is alot like that French movie Irreversible in that it's incredibly well done, but very very difficult to watch.

eXcentris 12-17-05 09:44 AM

OldBoy is great but I liked SFMV better, even if it's more raw, brutal, nihilistic, and depressing and plays it more straight. OldBoy has fantastic acting and production values but for the whole story to be believable you have to swallow:

Spoiler:

1. That both characters are more or less the same age when one looks 20 years older.

2. The convenient "we used hypnosis" device.

asianxcore 12-21-05 10:59 PM

I haven't seen Oldboy. I got a chance to watch this movie tonight. I really like it. I think the pacing is perfect for this movie. Many times during the movie when something brutal, or extreme happens, I am automatically wanting some sort of light mood or closure following certain scenes. With this sort of pacing, it constantly reminds me, in sort of a subtle way, that no closure is coming.

Depressing movie? Yes, I thought so. But I enjoyed the film, and thought the splotches of violence here and there really hit the mark. Looking forward to checking out the other two movies in this trilogy.

Zodiac_Speaking 12-22-05 10:46 AM

I heard Tartan will release Lady Vengeance in February along with Park's Three...Extremes.

I need to see this, I'm waiting till Christmas b/c I don't know if anyone bought it for me yet.

Park is on my "international directors to watch" list.

ChrisKnudsen 12-22-05 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
I heard Tartan will release Lady Vengeance in February along with Park's Three...Extremes.

Yeah the date is the 3rd for theaters, though. From their website about Park's in store appearence:

Meet Director Park Chanwook!

Director Park Chanwook will be making a special appearance at the Tower Video in New York City. Don't miss your chance to meet the Director of OLDBOY and the highly anticipated LADY VENGEANCE, in theatres Feb. 3, 2006.

Thursday, Sept. 29th
6:00pm - 7:00pm

TOWER VIDEO
20 East 4th Street
New York, NY 10012
212-505-1166
click here to go back

Hokeyboy 12-22-05 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by NestoJR
none of his movies are like Oldboy. Its a modern classic and for him to top it would be impossible.

I thought SFMV was better than Oldboy. And I LOVED Oldboy. SFMV is a much different film.

I give credit to Chan Wook-Park for not pigeonholing himself as a one-trick pony. JSA is brilliant in different ways that SFMV is brilliant, same with Oldboy.

And his segment "Cut" in the THREE EXTREMES film is wicked cool (although not the best in the bunch, I prefer "Dumplings")

Hokeyboy 12-22-05 02:09 PM

I need to see this, I'm waiting till Christmas b/c I don't know if anyone bought it for me yet.

Park is on my "international directors to watch" list.

You can get "Three Extremes" Region 0 from HK Flix. And it's WELL worth watching.

Zodiac_Speaking 12-22-05 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
You can get "Three Extremes" Region 0 from HK Flix. And it's WELL worth watching.

I heard thought I'd heard LGF will release Three...Extremes on 2-14-06 along with the full-length Dumplings, so I'll wait for the R1.

OldBoy 12-23-05 02:01 PM

I heard thought I'd heard LGF will release Three...Extremes on 2-14-06 along with the full-length Dumplings, so I'll wait for the R1.

this "Three...Extremes", is that the 3 story horror movie I think I heard about from Ebert and Roeper on one of their shows?

Rypro 525 12-23-05 02:48 PM

i personally thought Mr Vengence" was very slow moving even for my taste, and i was confused through out the movie. i have not seen oldboy yet, but i am going to assume that the pacing isn't as deadly slow as this one?

FantasticVSDoom 12-23-05 10:23 PM

There was something with SFMV tht just didnt grab me, and I think its because I was expecting the second coming of Oldboy and had such high expectations. It just went off on too many tangents for me. Solid movie, but just couldnt get into it. I did like The 3 Extremes and have been waiting a while to finally see it on the big screen. I prefer Fruit Chan's Dumplings out of the 3 but have yet to see the full length cut of it yet.

ChrisKnudsen 12-24-05 04:53 PM

I still think Sympathy for Mr. Vengence is not as excellent as Oldboy but it is a whole hell lot better than everything else that came out this year.