Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else tired of "A Christmas Story"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the 24 Hour running in my house for the past 3 years, this'll make 4...

Still not sick of it & don't plan on getting sick of it...
Old 12-07-05, 07:35 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In a word . . . NO.
Old 12-07-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not saying it's bad. Quite the opposite; it's a well made movie.

But, it seems in like the last 5 years it's really blown up and you can't escape it during the Christmas season. And a lot of people have killed the "You'll shoot your eye out!" line by repeating it ad nauseam, IMHO.

I guess this is what happens, though. Prior to NBC finding they owned the rights, It's A Wonderful Life was really run into the ground.
Old 12-07-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No way.
Old 12-07-05, 09:00 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts
I am a big fan of Jean Shepard, but when the film comes on TV, my reaction is now, "Oh, this movie." instead of the long ago, "Awesome! This movie!"
Old 12-07-05, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always thought the movie was good, not great. That said, I still enjoy watching it every year. As long as TBS continutes it's 24 hour marathon of it, I'll hold off on buying the DVD. It's kind of a tradition thing now that I watch it during that time. I usually only get about 20-30 minutes of continuous viewing due to family, but will have caught all of the scenes during the marathon.

FWIW, I noticed that a house down the street from me has a full sized leg lamp proudly displayed in their front window.
Old 12-07-05, 09:42 AM
Banned

A theater here in NYC is showing it around christmas. I'm sure it'll be a hoot to see with a big audience on a screen.
Old 12-07-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

not tired of it.....
Old 12-07-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not tired of it. I usually watch it one time a year.
Old 12-07-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
A theater here in NYC is showing it around christmas. I'm sure it'll be a hoot to see with a big audience on a screen.
That would be fun (as long as the print is descent).
Old 12-07-05, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
That would be fun (as long as the print is descent).
I don't have a date. Care to join?

I'm not expecting the print to be great...although this theater does get brand new prints of older movies a lot. They showed a new print of Raiders of the Lost Ark recently (and are showing it again).
Old 12-07-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I avoid it until Christmas Eve/Day. It was on the other day and I skipped it. We've played it in the background at my mom's house the past few years, and it just seems right to stop and watch a scene for a sec. But would never own the DVD unless it drops off the face of the Earth for a few years.
Old 12-07-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seemed like there were ten years or so there where only my friends and I knew about this movie. We introduced it to many people and would get together and watch it numerous times each holiday season. Then it got discovered by cable TV and the rest is history. I've probably seen it 75 or more times, and I'm still NOT tired of it.
Old 12-07-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
FWIW, I noticed that a house down the street from me has a full sized leg lamp proudly displayed in their front window.
I have that lamp. I think I just might do that myself. I'm new to the neighborhood, so that's sure to make them love me.
Old 12-07-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I don't have a date. Care to join?
Buy the popcorn and I'm in.
Old 12-07-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I have that lamp. I think I just might do that myself. I'm new to the neighborhood, so that's sure to make them love me.
Do it!!
Old 12-07-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There you have it folks, it looks like we have made a love connection. I'll see you in 2 and 2.
Old 12-07-05, 11:26 AM
Cool New Member

I never seen it... So not really tired of it... I hear it's good, I should see it one of these holidays...
Old 12-07-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I seriously can't get enough of this movie. I have no clue why I enjoy it so much, but I do. I was shocked when my girlfriend told me she had NEVER seen it. I'm going to make sure she sees it this year!
Old 12-07-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch A Christmas Storyat least once a year, and it never gets old for me. Right after Thanksgiving, I pull out all my Christmas movies, and give them all a viewing at least once. So far this year, I've watched A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th St, and Die Hard 1&2 (my two personal favorite Christmas movies). Will probably watch one of the Lethal Weapon movies tonight.
Old 12-07-05, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Buy the popcorn and I'm in.
I'm buying? you better put out then
Old 12-07-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I honestly don't think I've ever seen this movie all the way through. I've only seen bits and pieces of it a couple different times. I had no idea it was such a cultural phenomenon.
Old 12-07-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tired of it? Heck, I bought the fool frame version on DVD when that's all there was and gladly double dipped on the SE later on. I don't watch it on TV because, why would I when I own the DVD? I don't care if they show it a hundred times during the holiday season on TV. Big whoop. You have a choice to not watch it, just like you have a choice to ignore the merchandising. I, for one, had no idea there was all this so called merchandising surrounding the movie.

It's a Christmas movie from my childhood and I will enjoy it for the rest of my life. Now if we could get the other movies on DVD in the trilogy, that would be even more awesome. (It Runs in the Family and Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss. I would TRIPLE DIP on Christmas Story if they put out a box set of the trilogy on DVD!!!) And I double dog dare the studio responsible for these movies to put them on DVD!
Old 12-07-05, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid

It's not a lamp! It's a major award!
Old 12-08-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
It's a Christmas movie from my childhood and I will enjoy it for the rest of my life. Now if we could get the other movies on DVD in the trilogy, that would be even more awesome. (It Runs in the Family and Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss. I would TRIPLE DIP on Christmas Story if they put out a box set of the trilogy on DVD!!!) And I double dog dare the studio responsible for these movies to put them on DVD!
I'll never get tired of it.

Would absolutely love if they put the other two movies out. Most of us around these forums know about them. The other two are relatively unknown to the average person though. It Runs In The Family was on one night and nobody believed me that it was related to A Christmas Story until they heard the names.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.