DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   "Saw" producer dies at 42 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/447822-saw-producer-dies-42-a.html)

Pointyskull 12-06-05 09:44 AM

"Saw" producer dies at 42

Movie Producer Gregg Hoffman Dies at 42

By Associated Press
Published December 6, 2005, 9:39 AM CST

LOS ANGELES -- Film producer Gregg Hoffman, who developed an eight-minute film into the horror hit "Saw" and its gory successor "Saw II," died unexpectedly after complaining of pain. He was 42.

Hoffman died Sunday at Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, where he had been admitted after developing neck pain, his business partners said. He died of natural causes, according to a news release from Lions Gate Entertainment, which distributed his recent films. An autopsy was planned.

Hoffman and his partners at Twisted Pictures financed the low-budget films "Saw" (2004) and "Saw II" (2005) and stood to reap millions of dollars.

The first film cost about $1 million to make, opened over Halloween weekend last year at No. 3 at the box office, and grossed more than $102 million in DVD and box office revenue.

The $4 million sequel, released just before Halloween this year, ranked No. 1 at the box office in its debut weekend with $31.7 million in receipts. It has made $86 million in six weeks, according to box office figures released Monday.

The movies center around a sadistic serial killer called Jigsaw who devises intricate games to get his kidnapped victims to kill each other.

"We've won the lottery," Hoffman, a former Walt Disney Co. executive, told the Los Angeles Times in November.

Hoffman began working for Disney in 1995, rising to become a senior vice president of production and earning a producer credit on the family comedy "George of the Jungle" (1997).

He joined Koules and Mark Burg at their management and production company, Evolution Entertainment, in 2003. Soon after, he saw the eight-minute clip about a serial killer called "Saw" and proposed making it into a full-length feature. The original story was by James Wan, who went on to direct the feature "Saw," and Leigh Whannell, who starred in it.

"He discovered this movie, brought it in and talked us into making it. He was the driving force behind it," said Oren Koules, one of his Twisted Pictures partners.

The "Saw" films' success led to multi-picture development deals with Lions Gate and Dimension Films. Hoffman was working on "Saw III" and "Crawlspace" when he died.

He is survived by his wife, Lucienne; two children; his mother; and a sister.

Copyright © 2005, The Associated Press

dadaluholla 12-06-05 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey

Hoffman died Sunday at Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, where he had been admitted after developing neck pain, his business partners said.

An autopsy was planned.

I bet they find a key hidden in his neck.

raven56706 12-06-05 09:53 AM

oh man.. that sucks... SAW is a great franchise and with him out now... it will probably die with him

raven56706 12-06-05 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I bet they find a key hidden in his neck.

rotfl

GoldenJCJ 12-06-05 10:58 AM

That's too bad. It sounds like his career was just taking off.

jaeufraser 12-06-05 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706
oh man.. that sucks... SAW is a great franchise and with him out now... it will probably die with him

I doubt that. With the type of money the Saw franchise is pulling in, they'll be making sequels til the cows come home. Saw movies aren't going away with or without this guy...there's too much money to be made for that to happen.

Cancer Man 12-06-05 11:46 AM

I do not know Gregg Hoffman, I never seen the Saw movies, but to have a youngish man with a bright future as a Hollywood producer to suddenly die at the early age of just 42 is very sad.

Shortly before Gregg Hoffman died, why did he complain about problems with neck pain? Did he have a heart condition or battling with throat cancer?

scott shelton 12-06-05 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
SAW is a great franchise and with him out now... it will probably die with him

:lol:

Oh no it won't. Now the third one will have to be made, "in his honor."

Cancer Man 12-06-05 01:12 PM

Posted by raven56706: rotfl

Posted by scott shelton: :lol:
This no laughing matter, a man has died, died young and has left a family and close colleagues devestated.

scott shelton 12-06-05 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cancer Man
This no laughing matter, a man has died, died young and has left a family and close colleagues devestated.

You assume incorrectly I'm laughing at the death. I laugh at the assumption that the money and franchise dies with him.

Clear?

Cancer Man 12-06-05 01:36 PM

Ok, scott shelton, sorry I misinterpreted the meaning of your post.

You are right I'm afraid; death has rarely stopped movie franchises, especially the big ones. For example they carried on making The Crow despite the fact that the film's lead, Brandon Lee, died in a freak accident in the middle of production.