DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Brokeback Mountain opening Dec. 9 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/447442-brokeback-mountain-opening-dec-9-a.html)

riley_dude 12-02-05 05:09 PM

Brokeback Mountain opening Dec. 9

From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ang Lee comes an epic American love story, based on the short story by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx and adapted for the screen by the team of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. Set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, the film tells the story of two young men – a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy – who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love.

Winner of a recent award at the Toronto film festival and 82% favorable on Rottentomatoes. Hopefully people will be able to get past the taboo subject and see that it is just a good movie.

The Antipodean 12-02-05 05:17 PM

I have not heard anything about this movie. You think there would be some publicity about it somewhere.

riley_dude 12-02-05 05:51 PM

I've seen tons of previews, several newspaper articles and it's the cover story in Entertainment Weekly this week.

Jackskeleton 12-02-05 05:53 PM

I know I'm taking some pudding when I go see this.

riley_dude 12-02-05 06:01 PM

I don't get it. Why?

Howiefan 12-02-05 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I don't get it. Why?

Gay sex. Pudding. Funny right? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I can't wait to see it. It looks like a really good movie.

riley_dude 12-02-05 06:59 PM

Ohh. I thought that might be what he meant but I really thought most people on here would be above juvenile jokes like that.

ChristopherS 12-02-05 07:10 PM

Actually, there was a South Park joke a few years ago, from Cartman I think, about independant films being about nothing but gay cowboys eating pudding, so when this movie first got mentioned it reminded a lot of people of that South Park quote.

Jackskeleton 12-02-05 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Gay sex. Pudding. Funny right? :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I can't wait to see it. It looks like a really good movie.

It's a throw back to South Park

"No dude, independent films are those black and white hippie movies. They're always about gay cowboys eating pudding." -cartman

There was a thread a few months back on this matter and man oh man, that juvenile joke was also made first page. Infact, just hearing this story and movie in development tossed a cultural line to think of southpark.

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436940

But hey, I could have just said "Repost" instead of going for the joke.. right? ;)

Artman 12-03-05 06:06 PM

Not interested.

Dr. DVD 12-03-05 06:38 PM

I'll check it out, if it's in my area. I hope Ang Lee does a better job with this than Hulk. ;)

Joe Molotov 12-03-05 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Not interested.

What!!!!!??????!!!!!!!

Oh "Artman". Sorry, I thought you were someone else for a second.

nightmaster 12-04-05 01:03 AM

Not interested.

And another not interested.

ChrisKnudsen 12-04-05 05:20 AM

I heard great things like movie of the year and such. Probably see it opening day here.

riley_dude 12-04-05 12:46 PM

Not interested.

You are you just dont want to admit it huh? We wont tell anybody.
Should I even ask why you guys arent interested?

Howiefan 12-04-05 12:48 PM

If it was the story of 2 cowgirls, you can bet they would be first in line ;)

Tracer Bullet 12-04-05 01:12 PM

I'll be seeing it Friday.

marty888 12-04-05 01:43 PM

No, don't ask .....

Of course, I find it amusing that some people feel the need to publicly declare they are "not interested" ... it makes you wonder if they wander into <i>other</i> movie threads to express their disinterest, or if this is something special for them.

Meanwhile, Ebert & Roeper give thumbs up and consider the movie Oscar-worthy, particularly citing Heath Ledger's performance.

lmwong1977 12-04-05 02:04 PM

Too true, I just dont post if I'm not interested in something.

I think because its only open in select theatres this week, you might not see as much advertising. Ang Lee was in town (SF) talking about the film recently. (tix were like $200 so I wasnt there, but you can read some comments in SFGate.com's article)

Im hopeful with Ang Lee, he did well with Wedding Banquet which was a gay themed film - though on a more comic bent.

Anyway, those not interested, dont be surprised if your girlfriend drags you to see it. Us girls are very interested in Heath and Jake, together or not. ;)

Quake1028 12-04-05 06:33 PM

Can't wait. This could be the best December ever (BROKEBACK, KONG, NARNIA, MUNICH, etc,).

Grimfarrow 12-04-05 06:39 PM

If my screening was any indication, this film will:

a) draw in the female audience in droves
b) be a major frontrunner at the Oscars

Seriously, this is the film to beat at the Oscars this year.

bsktballDude1 12-04-05 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Can't wait. This could be the best December ever (BROKEBACK, KONG, NARNIA, MUNICH, etc,).

I know what you mean, I'm looking forward to all of those plus Memoirs of a Geisha, Woody Allen's Match Point, and The New World.

Quake1028 12-04-05 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow

MUNICH is by far the film to beat, IMO.

Grimfarrow 12-04-05 07:19 PM

MUNICH is an unknown quantity, and the director has won many times before. Plus, with gay marriage such a contentious topic, Hollywood will surely try to pat its own back by voting for a film that is the most "progressive".

DodgingCars 12-04-05 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow

I've heard a lot of good reviews of this movie, but I doubt it will draw much of an audience at all. When I saw the trailer while at Walk the Line, there were people laughing (at not-meant-to-be funny spots). I think no matter what people think about the subject matter, most hetros will have very little interest in this movie. Certainly those interested in film will want to see it -- especially with the good buzz and Ang Lee directing, but I can't think of a single straight male (or female for that matter) who would be interested in seeing this movie.

As far as the Oscars are concerned... I can't say. It's certainly got a lot of good reviews and seems to have been well received by the critics, but when it was frequently referred to as "the gay cowboy movie" at the film fests, I'm not sure how much respect it has from the average movie-goer (or Oscar voters). We'll see.