Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brokeback Mountain opening Dec. 9

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Brokeback Mountain opening Dec. 9

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Yep, and I have no problems with this.

Ultimately though, this is why I didnt like the movie (my own conclusion) because I didnt like the characters (mainly Ennis). I didnt have sympathy for him and couldnt connect.

Mainly, I feel pressure from people (some that I know) "if you dont like brokeback mountain, then you dont support gays". I think hollywood is like this to right now. Just look at how Nathan Lane was criticized for his comments about the movie. Its ridiculous.
Personally, I find Nathan Lane annoying as hell. That said, I would not think you are "against gays" for not liking the film. You have your reasons for not liking the film and they are not because the characters are gay.

Just because something is gay and I am gay too does not mean I'm going to like it. I don't watch Will and Grace, I don't own any Rufus Wainwright, Melissa Etheridge, Elton John, or k.d. Lang CDs (just not my type of music).
Old 01-19-06, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know about that. BUT, I think Crash IS trying to send a message.

Whereas I think Brokeback Mountain actually does a disservice to gays and their lifestyle. I think it shows them as weak, negligent and driven by lust.

Again, like I said before, if this movie had been about the 2 ranchers who sacrificed and lived their life the way they wanted to, it would have been a good political message (like Philadelphia).
Old 01-19-06, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Personally, I find Nathan Lane annoying as hell. That said, I would not think you are "against gays" for not liking the film. You have your reasons for not liking the film and they are not because the characters are gay.

Just because something is gay and I am gay too does not mean I'm going to like it. I don't watch Will and Grace, I don't own any Rufus Wainwright, Melissa Etheridge, Elton John, or k.d. Lang CDs (just not my type of music).
yeah but it seems like, with THIS movie, if you don't like it and you're str8, then you have a problem with gay people. If you dont' like it and you're gay, you're not supporting "the movement." Like it or not, or want to admit it or not, this is a huge deal for gay people. After seeing the movie, I'm not really sure why and again, agree with Rock that it does gay people a disservice but apparently people are so blinded by the movie that they've just decided that everyone should support it regardless of it's massive flaws.

Oh...and before Tracer gets bitchy, it's not a fact. It's just my opinion and experience.
Old 01-19-06, 04:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Have YOU met Paul Haggis?

At least critics I know and respect have similarly good taste.
Actually yes. Recently too.

And I disagree that you have good taste.
Old 01-19-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im going to watch Capote and The Matador this weekend.

I might even give Brokeback another watch just because I want to see if there are things that I didnt catch.

Ive already paid my ticket, so ill just dl the screener for another viewing. That way I can pause it when i get bored.

Ive noticed that sometimes I like slower paced movies when watching at home instead of at the theater.
Old 01-19-06, 04:36 PM
Banned

Ive already paid my ticket, so ill just dl the screener for another viewing. That way I can GO TO THE NEXT CHAPTER it when i get bored.
Fixed.
Old 01-19-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So do they pay you program film festivals too, since your taste is so good? How many films do you see per year? I've seen over 60 in the last 18 days as part of my job. Tell me when you've seen these, which are my current Top 8 list of 2006:

1. Le Filmeur (Alain Cavalier)
2. Play (Alicia Scherson)
3. Someone Else's Happiness (Fien Troch)
4. Dead Run (Sabu)
5. You and Me (Ma Liwen)
6. Joni's Promise (Joko Anwar)
7. 4:30 (Royston Tan)
8. State of Fear (Pamela Yates)

Back to topic: I'll be meeting Ang Lee on Saturday. He's having a seminar with Chow Yun-Fat and Andy Lau, and after there'll be a party for the HK release of the film. I've been invited, so if you have questions for Ang let me see if I can ask him
Old 01-19-06, 04:39 PM
Banned

So do they pay you program film festivals too, since your taste is so good? How many films do you see per year? I've seen over 60 in the last 18 days as part of my job. Tell me when you've seen these, which are my current Top 8 list of 2006:

1. Le Filmeur (Alain Cavalier)
2. Play (Alicia Scherson)
3. Someone Else's Happiness (Fien Troch)
4. Dead Run (Sabu)
5. You and Me (Ma Liwen)
6. Joni's Promise (Joko Anwar)
7. 4:30 (Royston Tan)
8. State of Fear (Pamela Yates)

Back to topic: I'll be meeting Ang Lee on Saturday. He's having a seminar with Chow Yun-Fat and Andy Lau, and after there'll be a party for the HK release of the film. I've been invited, so if you have questions for Ang let me see if I can ask him
Grim,

We get it.

Your cock is bigger.

Back off.

Old 01-19-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Grim,

We get it.

Your cock is bigger.

Back off.

How do you know until you've tried it?
Old 01-19-06, 04:55 PM

Fixed.
Haha...true. The music gets on my nerves too.
Old 01-19-06, 04:57 PM

I've been invited, so if you have questions for Ang let me see if I can ask him
Why he made Hulk?

Seriously, id like to know if the last part of Brokeback mountain was all in Ennis's mind (as ebert's review suggests). I was thinking the same thing when it was over (along with 'thank god! its over!' ).
Old 01-19-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh...and before Tracer gets bitchy, it's not a fact. It's just my opinion and experience.
You know, I read this post and was nodding in agreement until I got to this part. I guess I should know never to disagree with you or get labeled "bitchy".
Old 01-19-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the subject matter alone is all you hear about. When I hear about this movie being discussed on tv, all we hear about is how its a gay love story.

Again, just my opinion, but I think if it didnt have anything to do with homosexuality (I know its hard to fathom given the story) then it wouldnt be as popular.

If it had been about race or so on, then it wouldnt be getting the accolades (and as discussed earlier, probably getting criticism).
If the general public (and I am not saying everyone) didnt have such a big problem with Homosexuality, then when it was discussed on TV it wouldnt have to be brought up that it was a gay love story.

Brokeback Mountain doesn't ask us to approve of homosexuality. But it does ask us to face up to the truth of what homosexuality is and how profoundly it impacts the person who finds him- or herself so afflicted. Most importantly, it raises the question of whether we who don't approve of it as morally right shouldn't feel more compassion toward friends, family members and neighbors who find themselves in that painful dilemma through no fault of their own. After all, the crux of their pain lies in the very fact that they don't approve of it either. And they can appreciate all too well what parents, fellow church members or hunting buddies might think if they were to find out, because it would be the same horrified reaction as their own, and they are quite frankly scared to death.

So true.

Last edited by riley_dude; 01-19-06 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-19-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
You know, I read this post and was nodding in agreement until I got to this part. I guess I should know never to disagree with you or get labeled "bitchy".
Point and match.
Old 01-19-06, 06:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I never claimed my taste was good. That’s your invention.

And anybody can see 60 movies in 18 days. How you correlate that feat into an assumption of your own good taste is baffling to me. But hey, many things about you are.

I do thank you for showing off your command of obscure foreign cinema. Good luck with that. And to your "top 8" list.
Old 01-19-06, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
If the general public (and I am not saying everyone) didnt have such a big problem with Homosexuality, then when it was discussed on TV it wouldnt have to be brought up that it was a gay love story.
True, but in my opinion, that aspect is the only driving force behind the film. And, the reason for all the wins. I think there were better films out for 2005.
Old 01-19-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True, but in my opinion, that aspect is the only driving force behind the film. And, the reason for all the wins. I think there were better films out for 2005.
I dont believe that for a second. If they were just going to give awards to a gay film, why not Latter Days because it deals with Latter Day Saints and Homesexuality.
I'm sure you could come up with an excuse why every film wins each year if you really wanted to.
Old 01-19-06, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I dont believe that for a second. If they were just going to give awards to a gay film, why not Latter Days because it deals with Latter Day Saints and Homesexuality.
I'm sure you could come up with an excuse why every film wins each year if you really wanted to.
Because Brokeback is leaps and bounds better than Latter Days in every artistic aspect.

Is Brokeback a very good FILM? Yeah. Is it a great MOVIE? Hell no.

How do you know until you've tried it?
Is that an invitation?

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 01-19-06 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-19-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This movie is riding on some coattails that give its reputation a sterling edge. The short story is one of the best ever published in a New York magazine. The screenplay was revered for years before anyone got the courage to make it. And Ang Lee has captured movie magic in a bottle with Heath's performance, which, even if it doesn't win Best Actor will be legendary for a generation. If there were better movies, they aren't among the small crop most likely to win should Brokeback peak in popularity in the next few weeks.

For you to claim that it's only popular because it's gay is either biased or ignorant. Hollywood hasn't been waiting to award a rash of gay films. Gay films have been few and far between in Hollywood, and this is just the biggest and best so far. And we still have a long way to go, considering hardly any gay people were creatively involved in this project at all.
Old 01-19-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously, id like to know if the last part of Brokeback mountain was all in Ennis's mind (as ebert's review suggests). I was thinking the same thing when it was over (along with 'thank god! its over!' ).
What was shown during the phone call was Ennis' thoughts; what actually happened to Jack is left open to interp in both the book and the film.
Old 01-19-06, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamblast
1)And Ang Lee has captured movie magic in a bottle with Heath's performance, which, even if it doesn't win Best Actor will be legendary for a generation.

2) For you to claim that it's only popular because it's gay is either biased or ignorant.
1) Why?

2) I've said the same thing and I'm gay. Does that mean i fall into the "ignorant" category?
Old 01-19-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say you're biased against leisurely-paced formal or lyrical dramas, at a complete guess. Or can't relate to the oppression these guys are under. As for why Heath's performance is so good, all I could do is point to this-or-that scene and talk about why it moved me so much. You're not interested in that.
Old 01-19-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because Brokeback is leaps and bounds better than Latter Days in every artistic aspect.
Oh really, more proof that most of your taste is in your mouth. Latter Days had a teeny tiny budget compared to Brokeback and if you've actually seen Latter Days, I can't imagine how you could make this statement. It was well written and well acted and I think the filmmakers made a pretty impressive film for what they had to work with financially. Comparing Latter Days to Brokeback is apples and beagles.
Old 01-19-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me Latter Days is like Big Eden, a bit too CBS dramedy to be a great movie, predictable and safe, but very popular, and deservedly so. I think they were both distorted by their film festival ambitions. Both worth a rental and even repeat viewing, but not great films.
Old 01-19-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, certainly not a GREAT film, but also not "leaps and bounds [worse] in every artistic aspect" than Brokeback.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.