Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brokeback Mountain opening Dec. 9

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Brokeback Mountain opening Dec. 9

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Plus, with gay marriage such a contentious topic, Hollywood will surely try to pat its own back by voting for a film that is the most "progressive".
Alas, AMPAS voters are much more conservative than people think. While Brokeback Mountain might get a few Oscar nominations, I don't think it will win them because Hollywood--despite their repeated denials--knows full well that blatantly-liberal movies can cause massive customer backlash. That's why I see movies like Syriana and possibly Munich getting less box office revenues than originally anticipated.
Old 12-04-05, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I've heard a lot of good reviews of this movie, but I doubt it will draw much of an audience at all. When I saw the trailer while at Walk the Line, there were people laughing (at not-meant-to-be funny spots). I think no matter what people think about the subject matter, most hetros will have very little interest in this movie. Certainly those interested in film will want to see it -- especially with the good buzz and Ang Lee directing, but I can't think of a single straight male (or female for that matter) who would be interested in seeing this movie.

As far as the Oscars are concerned... I can't say. It's certainly got a lot of good reviews and seems to have been well received by the critics, but when it was frequently referred to as "the gay cowboy movie" at the film fests, I'm not sure how much respect it has from the average movie-goer (or Oscar voters). We'll see.
Believe me, it will get all the major Oscar noms. That is guaranteed. And I don't know which film fests you are referring to, but it won Best Picture at Venice, and at Toronto, where *I* was sitting right in the middle of the packed industry screening, it was the only film out of 30 high-profile ones where the jaded industryites actually broke into applause.
Old 12-04-05, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Alas, AMPAS voters are much more conservative than people think. While Brokeback Mountain might get a few Oscar nominations, I don't think it will win them because Hollywood--despite their repeated denials--knows full well that blatantly-liberal movies can cause massive customer backlash. That's why I see movies like Syriana and possibly Munich getting less box office revenues than originally anticipated.
The thing is, BROKEBACK is NOT a "blatantly liberal movie". In fact, I'd say it's almost regressive as far as gay films go.

But all this speculation is useless. Go see the film for yourself, and judge it upon its merits, not all the worthless brouhaha people are generating. All I'm saying is that I've seen in, and I think it's exactly the kind of film that WILL break out and win Oscars.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 12-04-05 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lmwong1977
Too true, I just dont post if I'm not interested in something.

Anyway, those not interested, dont be surprised if your girlfriend drags you to see it. Us girls are very interested in Heath and Jake, together or not.
And that's an attitude i wish more people had. It's alove story but guys are so threatened by this because they think that if they like it they will be thought of gay themselves. As Ebert and Roper said during their review, go see the movie, get over it if you are going to shoot it down just because of the subject matter.
As Ang Lee said in a recent interview, if you have to talk negatively about this, go see a therapist.
I think might surpise people who have already made up their mind before the movie has even opened.
Old 12-05-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will definitely see this. I know a number of straight couples who are huge film fans who want to see it as well.
Old 12-05-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Believe me, it will get all the major Oscar noms. That is guaranteed. And I don't know which film fests you are referring to, but it won Best Picture at Venice, and at Toronto, where *I* was sitting right in the middle of the packed industry screening, it was the only film out of 30 high-profile ones where the jaded industryites actually broke into applause.
An industry screening...

I'm telling you that you're average Joe has no interest in this movie. Having not seen the movie, I don't know how it will do at the Oscars, but my guess is: It will get nominations. Will it win? I have my doubts, but there's no way to say for sure...

I'd guess that the "safer" movies would likely have a better chance: Cinderella Man, Constant Gardener, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, History of Violence, Pride & Prejudice, Syriana, Squid and the Whale, Wal the Line, etc, etc, etc,
Old 12-05-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I have absolutely NO problem with the subject matter whatsoever. I think it's great that Hollywood is making a mainstream love story that has two men as the leads, even though I'm sure that any romance between the two from the book (wasn't it a book?) will be seriously toned down.

Having said that, I'm not interested in seeing it. Not a drama/love story fan.
Old 12-05-05, 11:19 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
I have absolutely NO problem with the subject matter whatsoever. I think it's great that Hollywood is making a mainstream love story that has two men as the leads, even though I'm sure that any romance between the two from the book (wasn't it a book?) will be seriously toned down.

Having said that, I'm not interested in seeing it. Not a drama/love story fan.
Actually Ang Lee didn't want to cut any love scenes that were in the book. He even added one There is plenty of making out/kissing too.
Old 12-05-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Have the West Coast theatres been listed anywhere? I'm gonna drive wherever I have to to catch this over the weekend, but I can't find any theatre listings and showtimes yet...
Old 12-05-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah, yes, a period piece about gay cowboys from the director of The Hulk. You had me until that last part.
Old 12-05-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adamblast
Have the West Coast theatres been listed anywhere? I'm gonna drive wherever I have to to catch this over the weekend, but I can't find any theatre listings and showtimes yet...
Pacific The Grove Stadium 14 Wednesday, Dec. 7
189 The Grove Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90036
No Online Ticketing Available for This Theater
12:01am

Nothing yet for the actual opening date.
Old 12-05-05, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by adamblast
Yup. You'll prob have to get to LA (or if you want a longer drive SF) to see it this weekend.

Saw one in a quick search: Pacific's The Grove in LA, CA - moviefone.com If you switch it to the 9th, lots of showtimes and you can but them online (tho there is that surcharge)

Last edited by lmwong1977; 12-05-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 12:40 PM

Not intrested in this one, I dont have a problem with movies with gays but its just not my thing and wont spend my money to see guys making out.
Old 12-05-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

imagine two cowgirls

Ellen Degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell

Old 12-05-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
Not intrested in this one, I dont have a problem with movies with gays but its just not my thing and wont spend my money to see guys making out.

Why pay when you can see that in the privacy of your own home.

Your Hetrosexuality is noted.
Old 12-05-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

God, I wish I lived in a country where every last little 'effing thing wasn't divvied up into "left" or "right."

The average Joe won't have any interest in this? WHO THE HELL CARES?
Old 12-05-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
God, I wish I lived in a country where every last little 'effing thing wasn't divvied up into "left" or "right."

The average Joe won't have any interest in this? WHO THE HELL CARES?
The studio.

But you're right. From an artistic point of view... it doesn't matter. I wasn't only commenting on someone's assertion that this will be huge with women audiences and is basically guaranteed the Oscar win. I totally disagree -- and the reason is because average Joe doesn't want to see it.
Old 12-05-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like the story. Hopefully the movie isn't too manipulative with the source material.

And any film that pulls a strong performance (so say critics) from a former Dawson's Creek star - has to be good.
Old 12-05-05, 07:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by conscience
And any film that pulls a strong performance (so say critics) from a former Dawson's Creek star - has to be good.
Mrs. Ledger has been doing fine work for years now.
Old 12-05-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Mrs. Ledger has been doing fine work for years now.

With Dick I can agree. Not much else of her other performances that I agree with you on, though.
Old 12-05-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had no idea Michelle Williams had a child with Heath Ledger, and are engaged. Making this movie together had to be a weird experience.
Old 12-05-05, 10:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by conscience
With Dick I can agree. Not much else of her other performances that I agree with you on, though.
You're kidding...

ME WITHOUT YOU?

THE BAXTER?

STATION AGENT?

Well, I've been enjoying her work.
Old 12-06-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
You're kidding...

ME WITHOUT YOU?

THE BAXTER?

STATION AGENT?

Well, I've been enjoying her work.
I've only seen Michelle Williams in "The Station Agent" and thought she gave a very strong performance.
Old 12-06-05, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I can't think of a single straight male (or female for that matter) who would be interested in seeing this movie.
You know what's funny? I have a preview screening ticket for it this week. I couldn't give it away to any of my gay male friends but i have two STRAIGHT female co-workers that are dying to see this. They snatched it up immediately.

Don't be so sure. It's hot men together and I know A LOT of women who find that hot.
Old 12-06-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
You know what's funny? I have a preview screening ticket for it this week. I couldn't give it away to any of my gay male friends but i have two STRAIGHT female co-workers that are dying to see this. They snatched it up immediately.

Don't be so sure. It's hot men together and I know A LOT of women who find that hot.
Digi - are you going to see it? I'm thinking of going mainly to show my support for the genre. We need more gay cowboy movies in the world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.