Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hills Have Eyes remake - NC-17 DVD in the future.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hills Have Eyes remake - NC-17 DVD in the future.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
Well......it just is!

Honestly though I'm not entirely sure why I (or anybody else) think it's cool but I don't really care as long as I'm entertained.

You guys are REALLY scaring me.

Y'all realize, of course, how close this approach is to a death-sport society.....?
Old 01-12-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reapersaurus

Y'all realize, of course, how close this approach is to a death-sport society.....?
i'll actually agree with the "i don't know, i just am" statement. maybe this should be in a sperate thread.
Old 01-12-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering these type of films have been around for around 40 years now, I don't think that's the case. It's just a current fad in the movie industry.
Old 01-12-06, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Considering these type of films have been around for around 40 years now, I don't think that's the case. It's just a current fad in the movie industry.
Good point to discuss:

My contention is that these movies have been around for awhile, but not until now were they anything but cult films that had trouble getting distributed.

I would be interested in knowing about previous films in this "torture" genre that were #1 in the Box Office, beating out very large, very respected and reviewed mainstream movies.
Old 01-12-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point to discuss:

My contention is that these movies have been around for awhile, but not until now were they anything but cult films that had trouble getting distributed.

I would be interested in knowing about previous films in this "torture" genre that were #1 in the Box Office, beating out very large, very respected and reviewed mainstream movies.
These cult films are cheap to produce and are able to turn a large profit for the studio. Saw cost a million, Saw II cost four million, and Hostel cost five million. The first grossed over sixty million, the second grossed over eighty million, and the third has grossed more than 20 million in less than a week domestically. Lionsgate was the first studio to pick up on this and it seems Fox Searchlight will be the second to see if they have the same success that Lionsgate has had.

Just how the "teen genre" was the big craze in the late '90s/early 00s; this is the big craze at the moment, especially when films of the like can be done cheaply.
Old 01-12-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, high tension didn't really set the world on fire in terms of box office, well then again, lions gate totally fucked that movie up beyond repair by the time it finally hit the states.
Old 01-13-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
well, high tension didn't really set the world on fire in terms of box office, well then again, lions gate totally fucked that movie up beyond repair by the time it finally hit the states.
The thing about Haute Tension is that Lionsgate acquired the film for cheap, so if they bypassed a theatrical release, they still would've made a profit from DVD sales and rentals. However, originally, the film was going to be released in the beginning of 2005 with an NC-17 rating and it's French language track intact. However, for many reasons (including the success of Saw), Lionsgate decided to do a last-minute English dub (so last minute that half the dub includes the original French track) and edit down the film to an R-rating to hopefully secure an audience. However, Lionsgate forgot to, you know, really advertise the film. Thus it being dead on arrival when it came out in June.

I just wish they would've released it uncut. Not for the fact that I'm against censorship, just because I wanted to see how a film would do with an NC-17 when released in a thousand screens at once.
Old 01-13-06, 09:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The thing about Haute Tension is that Lionsgate acquired the film for cheap, so if they bypassed a theatrical release, they still would've made a profit from DVD sales and rentals. However, originally, the film was going to be released in the beginning of 2005 with an NC-17 rating and it's French language track intact. However, for many reasons (including the success of Saw), Lionsgate decided to do a last-minute English dub (so last minute that half the dub includes the original French track) and edit down the film to an R-rating to hopefully secure an audience. However, Lionsgate forgot to, you know, really advertise the film. Thus it being dead on arrival when it came out in June.

I just wish they would've released it uncut. Not for the fact that I'm against censorship, just because I wanted to see how a film would do with an NC-17 when released in a thousand screens at once.
but Lion's Gate HAD released the original version in 2004 to various film festivals (Chicago's EU, Philly, Maryland - to name a couple that I know about, I actually saw this version at the Maryland Film Festival) in all it's NC-17 glory and original French language.
Old 01-13-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
but Lion's Gate HAD released the original version in 2004 to various film festivals (Chicago's EU, Philly, Maryland - to name a couple that I know about, I actually saw this version at the Maryland Film Festival) in all it's NC-17 glory and original French language.
Film festivals don't count. As I said, it was a last minute decision by Lionsgate to edit the film.
Old 01-13-06, 10:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Film festivals don't count. As I said, it was a last minute decision by Lionsgate to edit the film.
oh and I agree I think it was more a (stupid) commercial suicide to enact the dubbing and scissoring of the film. They literally did nothing with this film for an entire year. The film made it's North American premier at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2003 - aside from the varying film festival circuit, Lions Gate got cold feet, did very little to expediate the release of the film, and then made all these changes to the film for commercial release and it belly flopped.

Last edited by Giles; 01-13-06 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thus hopefully LG learns to never do that again

At least they released it uncut on dvd,which is all that really matters now.
Old 01-14-06, 12:09 AM

HUGE fan of the original "Hills," and my affection for "High Tension" is well-documented.

So obvioiusly I'm pretty pumped for this flick. As always: Fingers crossed.
Old 01-14-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
oh and I agree I think it was more a (stupid) commercial suicide to enact the dubbing and scissoring of the film. They literally did nothing with this film for an entire year. The film made it's North American premier at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2003 - aside from the varying film festival circuit, Lions Gate got cold feet, did very little to expediate the release of the film, and then made all these changes to the film for commercial release and it belly flopped.
Well they had the film longer before Fall 2003 (IIRC, Lionsgate purchased North American rights shortly after the film broke out that summer in France). However, I don't think it was until their purchase of Saw at Sundance a few months later that they finally started to do something with it. Saw got lots of attention at Sundance while Haute Tension was getting very little anywhere it played at (it also didn't help that one can import the DVD from various other sources as well), so release the "bigger" flick first and advertise the "smaller" flick with the bigger of the two so you can get some sort of audience attending the second horror go around. I wouldn't say it was cold feet, I would just say it was good planning.

However, once they pushed it back a near few weeks prior to it's opening, that's when they got cold feet and they scrambled.

[And I don't think Lionsgate paid more than $5 million for both flicks combined.]
Old 01-17-06, 05:47 PM

Fangoria has a review up http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5411

after reading that im really looking forward to this movie.
Old 02-11-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They showed the trailer for this before Final Destination 3. I'm now very excited about this. The clips were solid and full of tension. Very gritty looking trailer.
Old 02-11-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

looks like the director is being forced to cut about 5 minutes from the movie.
Old 02-12-06, 01:02 PM

theres a new pretty brutal clip available online

http://theluckyonesdiefirst.com

enjoy
Old 02-13-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love that clip.

I can't wait for this movie.
Old 03-03-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Getting strong early reviews

and I love this poster:

Old 03-03-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GameGenie
theres a new pretty brutal clip available online

http://theluckyonesdiefirst.com

enjoy
Very brutal.

I've been seeing a load of tv spots for it now, can't wait till it hits theaters.
Old 03-03-06, 03:49 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
100% fresh so far on rottentomatoes:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000...lls_have_eyes/
Old 03-03-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice poster
Old 03-03-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

100% fresh so far on rottentomatoes:
Not anymore, but all those positive reviews are a great sign.
Old 03-03-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Now that's a poster I'd like to own.
Old 03-04-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on the poster...I dont know why, but Im pretty excited about this movie. I loved the original, and hope this one will at least do it justice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.