Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hills Have Eyes remake - NC-17 DVD in the future.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hills Have Eyes remake - NC-17 DVD in the future.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrel God
They are stuck in the middle of nowhere and people slowly attack them for the duration of the film - that's it! Totally pathetic. That's not a film - that's a collection of scenes slapped together masquerading as a film. Any threads that could have developed the plot are chopped down even before they get going, e.g. the father's journey for help. So where is the motivation for the audience to root for anyone? Where is the suspense?
Well that's the way these slasher flicks are put together. That's the way they are and have always been, so if you don't like that why watch this movie? What on earth were you expecting!?

And the suspense comes when the dude goes out to find his baby!
Old 10-20-06, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
Well that's the way these slasher flicks are put together. That's the way they are and have always been, so if you don't like that why watch this movie? What on earth were you expecting!?
I disagree. Typically the victims are trying to escape, get somewhere safe and get help, sometimes while also trying to kill the killers, but are thwarted. The suspense comes from seeing them trying to go from X to Y and really wanting them to get from X to Y, but failing (until right at the end, when they succeed - sometimes you have a surprise ending where they succeed only to then be killed). In The Hills Have Eyes, the victims are at X and that's it. They're sitting ducks. There's nothing to root for other than that they kill whoever attacks them. Effectively, we're watching fights, but nothing else.

I don't think you can call this a slasher flick either. There's no particular boogeyman with a blade that they are running from. In fact, if I remember the film correctly, most of the blade usage comes from Doug.

Originally Posted by Gunde
And the suspense comes when the dude goes out to find his baby!
I think that came very late in the movie, only about 30-40 mins from the end. Bit late for a filmmaker to start introducing their first elements of suspense in their movie!