DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   It's looking like we'll see a 5th Romero "Dead" Film (sequel to "Land Of the Dead") (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/446944-its-looking-like-well-see-5th-romero-dead-film-sequel-land-dead.html)

Damed 11-28-05 08:26 PM

It's looking like we'll see a 5th Romero "Dead" Film (sequel to "Land Of the Dead")

Land of the Dead was filmed on a shoe string budget (by todays standards... 15 million) and although it only took in about $25million domestically, it did an additional 20 million overseas.

Couple that with a DVD release that is HOT (selling VERY well, even a month after release) and Universal is talking sequel, and soon.

Originally Posted by George A Romero

“Now that Land of the Dead did so well in European markets and Japan, and the DVD is flying off shelves, there’s talk of a sequel,” he confirmed.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/story.asp?NID=17593

Jackskeleton 11-28-05 09:35 PM

Oh hells yeah! Let me see some hands in the air!
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/8664/wave2up.gif

scott shelton 11-28-05 10:22 PM

As long as he's comfortable doing these on the cheap, then I say he should make ten more.

Zodiac_Speaking 11-28-05 11:14 PM

Long live Romero's Dead!

Though I like to see some stuff outside of his Dead series.

Matthew Chmiel 11-28-05 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
As long as he's comfortable doing these on the cheap, then I say he should make ten more.

Considering his original Dead trilogy were done on the cheap decades ago (with budgets ranging from fifty grand to three million), I'm all for another outing. Especially if he can make it around $10-20 million.

As much as I'd love to see a $50+ Romero zombie outing, at least it's the master giving us a real zombie film and not Dr. Uwe Boll or some other schmuck.

wm lopez 11-29-05 12:17 AM

I guess it'll be out for the next Presidental election with some message on how we should let a woman run the country if you know what I mean.

Matthew Chmiel 11-29-05 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I guess it'll be out for the next Presidental election with some message on how we should let a woman run the country if you know what I mean.

So who had bets on post #6 being the "Let's bash Romero for being a liberal and inserting social and political commentary" post from wm lopez?

Jackskeleton 11-29-05 01:32 AM

I'm honestly surprised it didn't come sooner. Romero and social commentary aren't anything new.

asianxcore 11-29-05 02:24 AM

yes! :)

Mr. Cinema 11-29-05 07:59 AM

Note to Romero: Leave out the BIG DADDY zombie in the next film! Please! I beg you!

Numanoid 11-29-05 08:01 AM

Land of the Dead certainly didn't look "low budget" to me, which shows you what a skillful team can do with a little money. Can't wait for another in the series (perhaps this is a new trilogy?)

Numanoid 11-29-05 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Note to Romero: Leave out the BIG DADDY zombie in the next film! Please! I beg you!

None of his Dead films so far have had continuity of characters, but I'm willing to bet that the studio brass will want to change that.

Damed 11-29-05 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
None of his Dead films so far have had continuity of characters, but I'm willing to bet that the studio brass will want to change that.

Well, one of the main reasons LAND took so long to get made was that Romero was unwilling to compromise his vision for "what the studios thought would make money"

So hopefully he still has that power with Universal.

Nesbit 11-29-05 08:07 AM

Leave out everyone from Land! It's a decent zombie picture but no where near the level of the rest of the Dead series. If only they could bring back Bub. Looking forward to another Dead movie. Where does it go from here though?

Brain Stew 11-29-05 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Damed
Land of the Dead was filmed on a shoe string budget (by todays standards... 15 million) and although it only took in about $25million domestically,

You say that like it's a bad thing. $10 Million profit sounds pretty good to me. Now, that figure doesn't take into account their marketing campaign, but it couldn't have cost more than $2 or $3 Million. $7 million is pretty good.

AGuyNamedMike 11-29-05 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
If only they could bring back Bub.

Sort of did already...

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/2815/pegg6ib.jpg

The Bus 11-29-05 08:26 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. A lot better than I thought it would be.

Damed 11-29-05 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
You say that like it's a bad thing. $10 Million profit sounds pretty good to me. Now, that figure doesn't take into account their marketing campaign, but it couldn't have cost more than $2 or $3 Million. $7 million is pretty good.

No, I didn't mean that at all. Mind you, you need to consider that not all that $10 million goes to the studio. You need to factor in marketing (like you mentioned), as well as the theater's cut of the box office take. It probably either just broke even or made a very small profit domestically.

DonnachaOne 11-29-05 08:44 AM

Fair play to Romero.

If small, profitable films like this and the Saw films (bad as those are) mean the studios are willing to make a few movies for a fraction of the price of one tentpole, then yay.

Giles 11-29-05 08:54 AM

I just hope it has a better more developed script.

Legolas 11-29-05 09:15 AM

Continent of the Dead? Planet of the Dead? Cyberspace of the Dead?

Nesbit 11-29-05 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike

What does that have to do with Bub? That is Simon Pegg <sp> from Shaun of the Dead.

Oh and the name being used on AICN is Road of the Dead. I think they should just call it Land of the Dead 2 so that LOTD and it's sequel can just be viewed as seperate from the original trilogy.

OldBoy 11-29-05 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike

i was thinking the same thing when i saw that zombie! you know that is Simon Pegg from "Shaun of the Dead". he is a dead ringer for Bub.

as much as i would like another by Romero, this one didn't come close to the same league as "Dawn" or even "Day". on 2nd viewing on DVD, i thought it was merely ok :(

Nesbit 11-29-05 09:36 AM

Yeah LOTD had a lot of good ideas however it seemed to only focus on the bad ones.

uberjoe 11-29-05 09:47 AM

I've never seen any of Romero's "Dead" movies, but really want to check them out. Where should I start? Are some remakes of others?