Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

That sound of someone/something hitting the ground-- where was it used first?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-26-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you guys won't disappoint me on this. I posted a similar question about the "Wilhelm Scream" a few years ago, and I received great feedback.

I'm wondering if anyone can identify where the sound comes from that always seems to be used when someone or something hits the gound hard in a movie. I've heard it dozens of times, but here's a few movies where you'll hear it (off the top of my head).

The same exact sound is heard when:
-Michael Myers is shot and falls to the ground at the end of Halloween.
-The Sandpeople drop Luke Skywalker after they knock him unconscious in Star Wars.
-John Book (Harrison Ford) falls through the ceiling into the barn in Witness.

...and dozens of dozens of other movies, but these are just a few you can use to identify the sound.

If you've heard this sound, you know what I'm talking about. I'm wondering if it has a name (like "Castle Thunder" is the name of that same, exact thunder clap that's been in hundreds of films), and in what movie it first appeared.

Let's see who has the answer.....

Last edited by Dave7393; 11-26-05 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-27-05, 10:04 AM

Don't know if it has a name, but I know exactly what sound you're talking about. I've been hearing it for decades as well.
Old 11-27-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's just a generic body fall that gets used over and over, probably done by some foley guys way back when. The other sound that gets over used is the squeaky door or gate; some cheaper movies will use it anytime a door opens or closes.
Old 11-27-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
It's just a generic body fall that gets used over and over, probably done by some foley guys way back when. The other sound that gets over used is the squeaky door or gate; some cheaper movies will use it anytime a door opens or closes.
Oh, I'm sure it really was some "foley guys" or whatever, several years ago. But this sound is SO overused, that I'm sure it has a name in the sound recording industry, like "Castle Thunder," or "The Wilhelm Scream" If you Google either of those, you'll see lists of movies and hear sound files of both of those sounds. I'm sure this "drop" sound has a name, and I was just wondering what it is.
Old 11-27-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about the 'baby crying' one that gets used in every single movie with a crying baby. It's the exact same crying.
Old 11-27-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
The other sound that gets over used is the squeaky door or gate; some cheaper movies will use it anytime a door opens or closes.
Haha, yep. Also, if you remember in the old Doom games, the noise of those doors opening is in like every movie (though I can't think of any off the top of my head).
Old 11-27-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's not forget the infamous (more than famous) Wilhelm scream
Old 11-27-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
Let's not forget the infamous (more than famous) Wilhelm scream
Who forgot it? It's been mentioned twice already, including the OP.
Old 11-28-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
EVen better - a list of all the names of all the famous sounds!
Old 11-28-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's this sound of a startled woman gasping that's in like every horror movie.
Old 11-28-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Who forgot it? It's been mentioned twice already, including the OP.
Totally. Guess I should read the thread before I post. DOH!
Old 11-28-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got no idea what the name of the sound is. Maybe it doesn't have a name. Maybe sound engineers just create the sound by dropping a sack of flour everytime. It wouldn't be expensive to replicate,
If anyone has watched Indian action movies, they use the exact same sound everytime someone gets punched, kicked, hit with a stick, or struck by a car. I'm not exagerating either. They also use that same baby cry as well.
Old 11-28-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What is the famous Wilhelm scream? Is it the one that goes "Ugh-augh!" real fast?
Old 11-28-05, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
What is the famous Wilhelm scream? Is it the one that goes "Ugh-augh!" real fast?

It's been used in every Star Wars movie, among countless others.

Google it--you should be able to find a sound clip. That'll be easier than trying to describe it (no, it's less of a "ugh-augh" and more of an "ai-yeee!" sound ;-))
Old 11-28-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
Maybe sound engineers just create the sound by dropping a sack of flour everytime. It wouldn't be expensive to replicate,
It's not rereated every time. This is the exact same sound, re-used over and over. I'm curious about it because I want to know what the original sound recording was (was it an object falling? a person? etc.) It's the same unique sound that sound engineers re-use, no doubt about it.

It's as distinct as Wilhelm. I really thought someone out there would've figured this one out by now.
Old 11-28-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dave7393
It's not rereated every time. This is the exact same sound, re-used over and over. I'm curious about it because I want to know what the original sound recording was (was it an object falling? a person? etc.) It's the same unique sound that sound engineers re-use, no doubt about it.

It's as distinct as Wilhelm. I really thought someone out there would've figured this one out by now.
My guess is that it is in Lucasfilm's sound library or some other widely used library of sound effects. It is going to be difficult to nail down exactly where it was originally used or what it was originally created for.