DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anyone else notice that Tom Cruise loves to sing and dance? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/446362-anyone-else-notice-tom-cruise-loves-sing-dance.html)

maxfisher 11-23-05 09:43 AM

Anyone else notice that Tom Cruise loves to sing and dance?

I was watching War of the Worlds last night and it reminded me of a theory that some friends and I came up with sometime back. We hypothesized that, whenever possible, Tom Cruise insists that he either gets to sing or dance in a movie. I'm having a tough time thinking of all of our examples, but here are the ones that come to mind:

War of the Worlds - sings 'Little Deuce Coupe'
Vanilla Sky - sings 'What if god was one of us'
Magnolia - sings 'Wise Up'
Eyes Wide Shut - I'm pretty sure he dances at the party at the beginning
Jerry Maguire - sings 'Free Fallin'
Born on the Fourth of July - sings 'Moon River'
Rain Man - sings 'I Saw Her Standing There'
The Color of Money - sings 'Werewolves of London'
Top Gun - sings 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Risky Business - dances sans clothing

Whenever I'm watching a movie and he breaks into song, I crack up, regardless of what's going on at that point with the plot. Just pulls me out of the movie. Anyone else noticed Tom's love of his singing voice? If anyone thinks of any other examples, I'd like to come up with a comprehensive list, just for the hell of it.

mllefoo 11-23-05 09:45 AM

It's in his contract. Kind of like how Joaquin Phoenix must cry in every movie, or like how Jennifer Connelly must wear a red dress and stand at the end of a pier in every movie (except labyrinth).

Morf 11-23-05 09:47 AM

http://www.tomcruiseisnuts.com/images/cruisin.gif

/obligatory dancing Tom Cruise

Toben 11-23-05 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Morf

Is he dancing, or doing something unmentionable to an invisible Katie Holmes?

Shannon Nutt 11-23-05 11:10 AM

You missed one. He also sings "I saw her standing there" in RAIN MAN!

Joe Molotov 11-23-05 11:13 AM

This baby picture of Tom Cruise may help explain...

http://funnies.goldenagecartoons.com/singa02-b.jpg

maxfisher 11-23-05 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You missed one. He also sings "I saw her standing there" in RAIN MAN!

Damn! Forgot that one. I'll add it to the list. Anyone think of any more?

DRG 11-23-05 12:36 PM

The choreographed bartending scenes in Cocktail could be interpreted as dance, in a way. :)

Groucho 11-23-05 12:39 PM

Sings "Werewolves of London" in The Color of Money.

Numanoid 11-23-05 12:52 PM

You think Tom Cruise is bad, what about Elvis?! That mofo couldn't get 5 minutes without a song. -ohbfrank-

Fok 11-23-05 12:59 PM

Don't know why he does sing and dance all the time....he not very good at it

chipmac 11-23-05 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
Don't know why he does sing and dance all the time....he not very good at it

Why does he need to be good at it. Has anyone considered that perhaps he feels this makes his character more human and natural? There are many people in everyday life that can't sing or dance well and still do it. Sitting in traffic listening to the radio, or in the shower, with friends at a party, etc. Some people break into dance when they're happy and just get happy feet. I don't see the problem.

Robert 11-23-05 01:16 PM

He also sings 'Moon River' in <b>Born on the Fourth of July</b>.

Brent L 11-23-05 01:20 PM

I was prepared to come into this thread, and see the OP stating that this is "further proof", that Tom Cruise is gay. Perhaps with photoshop pictures making Tom look like a moron.

Then I was thinking I'd see an entire thread of everyone else having fun bashing the OP...or saying the same thing.

I'm shocked that isn't what this thread was all about, just shocked.

maxfisher 11-23-05 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by chipmac
Why does he need to be good at it. Has anyone considered that perhaps he feels this makes his character more human and natural? There are many people in everyday life that can't sing or dance well and still do it. Sitting in traffic listening to the radio, or in the shower, with friends at a party, etc. Some people break into dance when they're happy and just get happy feet. I don't see the problem.

I've got no problem with him singing at all. It just seems he sings in a disproportionately large percentage of his roles and it's very rarely 'necessary'. Once I noticed it, it just started becoming really funny to me whenever it happens. During War of the Worlds, I was thinking there was no way they'd squeeze a song in for him and then he started singing 'Little Deuce Coupe'. Nothing wrong with that, it's just something I find funny.

I added Color of Money and Born on the Fourth of July to the list, though I honestly don't remember the singing in those two. I'll have to go back and rewatch them sometime soon.

Mikael79 11-23-05 03:52 PM

To quote the most recent episode of South Park:

"Tom Cruise, come out of the closet."

Flynn 11-23-05 09:44 PM

He always does sing... off-key and badly. But, hey to some that's charming...

mllefoo 11-23-05 09:54 PM

It isn't charming. I once had a chemistry teacher who sang offkey and badly. During exams. Usually the Mickey Mouse club theme. While wearing a white polyester shirt with big red polkadots all over it.

I'm thinking Tom Cruise modeled himself after my highschool chemistry teacher.