DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   3-Iron (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/445709-3-iron.html)

NatrlBornThrllr 11-18-05 07:10 AM

3-Iron

I just got around to watching this tonight and fell in love with it. I didn't find the first act all that engaging, but by the film's end I was totally wrapped up in the story. The Lisa Schwarzbaum quote on the DVD cover put it best. "Kim Ki-duk makes silence sing." If you're not opposed to relatively slow-paced, outside the box drama, definitely give this one a chance. Like nothing you've seen. I've seen two Kim Ki-duk films now (this, and "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring"), and both quickly leapt into their respective spots among my very favorites. I now intend to devour the rest of his filmography as quickly as I possibly can.

-JP

Fincher Fan 11-18-05 07:15 AM

I look forward to the sequel - Putter.

wendersfan 11-18-05 07:32 AM

I saw it a couple of months ago. I thought it was beautiful - serene, thoughtful, and lovely.

RichC2 11-18-05 12:29 PM

One of my favorite movies (if not my favorite movie) so far this year. (Being as it came out in US Theaters this year).

I was hesitant to watch it, to say the least, but after I caught on to what was going on, I couldn't look away.

eXcentris 11-18-05 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I've seen two Kim Ki-duk films now (this, and "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring"), and both quickly leapt into their respective spots among my very favorites. I now intend to devour the rest of his filmography as quickly as I possibly can.

-JP

Spring, Summer... marked a clear departure from his earlier works. Before that film, he was branded (somewhat falsely in my mind) as a mysoginistic provocateur who revelled in violence and made films for the sole purpose of shocking the audience. His earlier films typically involve obsessed outcasts who find an outlet to their alienation in violence and the mistreatment of women. So don't be surprised by the change of tone and content in his earlier films. I'd recommend The Isle, Address Unknown (my favorite), Bad Guy, and to a lesser extent Real Fiction which is mostly interesting because of it's "experimental" aspect (the whole film was shot in one day) than anything else. I'd avoid The Coast Guard which is a mess with horrible miscast of the main character, unless you're interested in the realism aspect of mandatory military service in Korea which is really the film's only redeeming quality. You will see that the use of silence is a trend in Kim Ki-duk films because the main character in Bad Guy is mute and so is the prostitute in The Isle.

As for the after Spring, Summer,... period, if you liked the former and 3 Iron, you'll probably enjoy Samaria. I have The Bow but haven't watched it yet.

Sits back and patiently waits for Grimfarrow to come in and crap all over Kim Ki-duk and his usage of "false Buddhism" in his later films. :)

NatrlBornThrllr 11-18-05 08:52 PM

Heh, thanks for the heads up. I read the plot summaries, and even through those I noticed a distinct change in storylines. I'm glad you confirmed that it's not just in story but also in style, as I'd have probably been caught off-guard otherwise. Anyway, I've added everything he's done that's gotten an R1 release to my wishlist, so here's hoping that they live up to these first two films.

-JP

FaustBos 11-19-05 06:14 PM

I also saw this at the Haugesund Film festival in August 2005. (And bought the DVD the moment it was released) It was my surprise of the film fest and simply and beautiful piece of film.