Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gotta do a movie for my english/film class

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gotta do a movie for my english/film class

Old 11-16-05, 07:50 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta do a movie for my english/film class

We have to do a movie thats around 8 minutes. its due sometime in the middle of December. Our teacher has just told use to come up with 3 ideas. In the class handout it said 1-3 people in a group. Yet he hasnt said nothing about this or gave us anytime in class. so only a couple people who already know each other are doing it in a group. The rest dont know. its a college class where you come in and leave no one really talks to each other. The film is going to be shown on our colleges auditorium on a projector. My friends arent the ones to get into a movie and "act" and then have them be seen on a a big screen infront of alot of people

Have no idea what i am gonna do my movie on, dont even know when and if they have videocameras to borrow and when we get them. So far no one has mentioned the film project in class. and if I do it on my own, I would only have 1-2 people in it.

any ideas
Old 11-16-05, 07:55 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do an 8-minute documentary about something mundane that you can spin into something funny. Like the lack of parking or catching people making out in the library or something.
Old 11-16-05, 07:57 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what I was thinking of, I had a couple ideas, but by the time we film theres gonna be snow on the ground in michigan (snowing right now). So right now I have no ideas.
Old 11-17-05, 12:09 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill your friends in the snow. Blood looks awesome in the snow!!
Old 11-17-05, 12:17 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,661
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
We have to do a movie thats around 8 minutes. its due sometime in the middle of December. Our teacher has just told use to come up with 3 ideas. In the class handout it said 1-3 people in a group. Yet he hasnt said nothing about this or gave us anytime in class. so only a couple people who already know each other are doing it in a group. The rest dont know. its a college class where you come in and leave no one really talks to each other. The film is going to be shown on our colleges auditorium on a projector. My friends arent the ones to get into a movie and "act" and then have them be seen on a a big screen infront of alot of people

Have no idea what i am gonna do my movie on, dont even know when and if they have videocameras to borrow and when we get them. So far no one has mentioned the film project in class. and if I do it on my own, I would only have 1-2 people in it.

any ideas
College? Seriously?
Old 11-17-05, 05:23 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,012
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you explain the 3 ideas? Do you have to have 3 ideas in the film, or 3 possible ideas for your film?

Your friends aren't the type to act, but are you?

Does it have to be completely original, or are you allowed to base it on material such as a comedian's rant?

Do you actually have to shoot any footage? Could you just edit existing footage?
Old 11-17-05, 09:12 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on, it's a student film. You can show the face of a clock ticking away for eight minutes, interspersed with some stills of Abu Ghraib, and it will win several film circuit awards*.




* Must be shot in black & white.
Old 11-17-05, 12:53 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,637
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Shake the camera a lot and just shoot 8 mins of your POV of a girl's room from a shelf. Then have the girl enter the room, come up really close to the camera and say "Oh shit, I forgot to turn this off". Fade to black and the title goes up "The Life of a Vibrator".
Old 11-18-05, 12:13 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Come on, it's a student film. You can show the face of a clock ticking away for eight minutes, interspersed with some stills of Abu Ghraib, and it will win several film circuit awards*.




* Must be shot in black & white.
Holy Carp, Sundance here I come!
Old 11-18-05, 03:19 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Shake the camera a lot and just shoot 8 mins of your POV of a girl's room from a shelf. Then have the girl enter the room, come up really close to the camera and say "Oh shit, I forgot to turn this off". Fade to black and the title goes up "The Life of a Vibrator".
Old 11-18-05, 03:23 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to a highway near you and set up on the overpass. Shoot the traffic.
Intercut that with footage of people walking in the mall...

Oh yeah, you can't forget to put some really cool music over it...

Shit it's a student film...go as artsy as you can!!!
Old 11-18-05, 10:03 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to do this for one of my college classes a few years ago, but we got the assignment on a Friday and it had to turn it in Shot, Chopped and finished that Monday... So myself, three buddies and an 80 year old man made a hunting video that just had people getting shot out in the woods, the 80 year old man cussing a lot, lots of blood from shooting off arms and leg and people in capes and super hero costumes humping deer out in the woods... It wasn't Citizen Kane, but it was fun.
Old 11-18-05, 10:15 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go out into the woods with your three worst-acting friends. Have them roam around endlessly searching for some lame colonial folk-tale monster, always swearing at eachother while they look. Make the camera work as nauseating as possible, and throw in a few cheap scares. Make sure you zoom into the woods at night, always expecting something to jump out, but it never does. Make one person drop the camera at the end, and fade out and say the footage was found 30 days later. Don't worry about it ripping off a movie made 20 years earlier, because most people will be too dumb to realize it and many will even think its real. Instant $100,000,000 dollars.
Old 11-18-05, 07:50 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,877
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a mock-gangster/mafia flick for my high school Lit & Film class... a lot of my group wasn't very cooperative, but the ones that were had the big roles. I wrote it all myself but really just combined the plots from Goodfellas, Reservoir Dogs, and Miller's Crossing. We played it serious, but didn't take it seriously... lots of overacting which fit quite well in case the whole thing ended up sucking. Luckily it turned out quite well. I'd try and post it on but i had trouble ripping it and i'm not sure where the copy is anymore.

... the best bet is to do something funny... avoid the artsy shit.
Old 11-18-05, 11:13 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,344
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Do an 8-minute documentary about something mundane that you can spin into something funny. Like the lack of parking or catching people making out in the library or something.
This is my suggestion as well. On a college campus, there should be plenty of things you could shoot eight minutes of and spin it into an interesting documentary.
Old 11-18-05, 11:37 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rampaging across DVDTalk.
Posts: 4,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lesbian porn is always popular.
Old 11-18-05, 11:58 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine, I'll be in your movie! Don't beat around the bush so much next time!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.