Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did you Like Lord of the Rings?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Does LOTR Rock?
Yes
71.72%
No, it Puts Me to Sleep!
9.66%
LOTR is Great, But a Tad Overrated...
18.62%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-05, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really love The Lord of the Rings trilogy and it's probably up there with the Star Wars franchise. But on hindsight, could LOTR stand the test of time and hold up to repeat viewing?

I haven't seen any of the LOTR films in quite a long time, but I have fond memories of most of the characters and set pieces, plus it's suprisingly faithful to the book, despite minor deviations with some of the sub-plots.
Old 11-15-05, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really love The Lord of the Rings trilogy and it's probably up there with the Star Wars franchise. But on hindsight, could LOTR stand the test of time and hold up to repeat viewing?
I think it will, the only thing working against it is the amount of time required to watch it. Unlike Star Wars, and most other trilogies, each one isn't a stand alone movie, the whole thing really needs to be watched in sequence to get the full effect.
Old 11-15-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just watched the entire trilogy EE last week. It seems to hold up. I was just a tad bored with it during the slow parts.
Old 11-15-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
It will stand the test, but you will be hard pressed to find someone who can sit through all three uninterrupted. I watched all three EEs last new year's eve, with breaks of course, and I have to admit, it got really hard to watch at times.
Old 11-15-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They were OK.
Old 11-15-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie had nice effects and good acting (esp. Viggo) but overall, didn't do anything for me. Oh, and I hates dem Hobbits!
Old 11-15-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked them all fine.
Old 11-15-05, 08:42 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's f'ing extraordinary.
Old 11-15-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the movie - but if I'm going to watch it again, it's gonna be the EE for the first two, and then the theatrical cut for the third.

The book is amazing, Tolkien puts lots and lots of detail into the movie. Sometimes I have a short attention span especially when it comes to reading books, but on the right moment I can immerse myself into the book entirely. It was a long story that I don't really want it to end.

So, yeah. I know it's apple and orange but if I have to pick, I'll pick the book.
Old 11-15-05, 09:03 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I liked the first one, but I hated The Two Towers and really hated Return of the King
Old 11-15-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I liked the first one, but I hated The Two Towers and really hated Return of the King
Someone I know have this opinion also. She said it was too dark, too much war and it's tiresome. I have to agree with her that it was dark and tiresome, but that's why I liked it. But anyway, have you read the book? While the story is esentially the same, how it done was quite different in one way or another.
Old 11-15-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Love the trilogy. Will be watching the entire EE trilogy on Sunday with a couple friends. We'll have breaks of course. I hope I still love it afterwards!
Old 11-15-05, 09:21 AM

For me, few scenes will ever rival the opening of The Two Towers. I was completely astounded when I watched it the first time.
Old 11-15-05, 09:23 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Fantastic movies, and I really believe that they will be just as great 20 years from now.
Old 11-15-05, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by eedoon
Someone I know have this opinion also. She said it was too dark, too much war and it's tiresome. I have to agree with her that it was dark and tiresome, but that's why I liked it. But anyway, have you read the book? While the story is esentially the same, how it done was quite different in one way or another.
I've read the books many times over the last 30 years.

My complaint with the movies is that they were unable to convey the lyricism of Tolkein's prose and poetry, with the exception of the first part of The Fellowship of the Ring (the part set in the Shire), which I thought was wondrous. Lacking Tolkein's magic, the plot became ponderous and artificial.
Old 11-15-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My complaint with the movies is that they were unable to convey the lyricism of Tolkein's prose and poetry
I have to agree with you. The movie is able to made me jawdrop because of the beautiful vistas and amazing battle, however the book can do the same thing to me with only words and letter. But come on, at least the movie is fun.
Old 11-15-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
There needs a LOTR is OK option...
Old 11-15-05, 09:52 AM

I like them. I've got the dvds, but they're not my favourite films.
Old 11-15-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow im really surprised with the tone here, id think all the responses would be, "it's amazing", "i could watch the EE trilogy all day", "beats star wars."

for me, it's extremely slow and I need 3-4 days to watch one EE movie. But nonetheless, a fantastic trilogy.
Old 11-15-05, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by eedoon
I have to agree with you. The movie is able to made me jawdrop because of the beautiful vistas and amazing battle, however the book can do the same thing to me with only words and letter. But come on, at least the movie is fun.
Actually, for all of their admittedly great spectacle and technical accomplishments, I think they were, by and large, badly paced and poorly directed.
Old 11-15-05, 10:22 AM

I did not like the first two at all (did not even watch the third). I have been attacked verbally by my co-workers due to this sole reason (my manhood was also challenged). One of them asked me if I had read the books first, he said that I would enjoy the movies a lot more if I had read the books. I argued that movies should stand and be judged on their own, an understanding of the story or the material it is based on should not be a pre-requisite.
Old 11-15-05, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
wow im really surprised with the tone here, id think all the responses would be, "it's amazing", "i could watch the EE trilogy all day", "beats star wars."
What's amusing is the poll is 4 to 1 in favor of the trilogy right now, but those posting are mainly those who are critical
Old 11-15-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I've seen the first one twice (Theatrical and EE) and thought it was OK, haven't gotten around to watching the other 2 yet.
Old 11-15-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Almost the same feelings. For me, I'll just replace "hated" with "Didn't enjoy".
Old 11-15-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
I thought they were enjoyable, but nothing to jump up and down about. I'm also in the camp who thought the movies got progressively less entertaining as each one was released.

They certainly didn't have the cultural impact that STAR WARS had, and no, I don't think many but the truly die-hard will be talking about these movies 20 years from now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.