DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Grendel movie in production? Comic related (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/445242-grendel-movie-production-comic-related.html)

RogerSC 11-15-05 01:23 AM

Grendel movie in production? Comic related

Anyone read the Grendel comics or Grendel graphic novel, "Devil by the Deed?"

I just found out that Warner Bros or a subsidiary is going to make a Grendel movie but it's going to be about the second Grendel, Christine Sparr.

Fincher Fan 11-15-05 05:59 AM

Sounds like a whole lot of Grendel...

reverie 11-15-05 06:38 AM

Admittingly, I've only ever read one Grendel comic (some collection) and the Batman ones. They were good reads (well, aside from the second Batman crossover), and I very much liked the Hunter character. Not sure if I know Christine Sparr?

overider 11-15-05 08:23 AM

Why ??? Hunter Rose would be so much more interesting than Christine Sparr !

the second crossover between Grendel & Batman wasn't that bad , at least we got to know why there's a hole on Rose's Skull : )

Baron Of Hell 11-15-05 08:51 AM

Sparr instead of Rose? That doesn't sound right. That is like doing a batgirl movie instead of first doing a batman movie. I'd rather they went with Grendel Prime myself.

Nick Danger 11-15-05 01:19 PM

I just re-read the art deco graphic novel "Devil by the Deed". I didn't like it nearly as much as I did ten years ago. I am currently enjoying Grendel Red, White, and Black, which I somehow missed the first time around.

The Hunter Rose story is about a superhuman who manipulates and destroys ordinary people. There's no challenge, no drama, there. He's only interesting a king undone by his own ambition.

Christine Spar is a newspaper reporter who has to admit the existence of an ancient evil, and then defeat it. She also gets a character arc, as she becomes poisoned by her continued identification as Grendel. It may be less mythic, but there's more meat there.

Christine brings other assets to the table, such as a child in danger and fabulous ta-tas. You can see why the producers were interested in her.

RogerSC 11-15-05 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The Hunter Rose story is about a superhuman who manipulates and destroys ordinary people. There's no challenge, no drama, there. He's only interesting a king undone by his own ambition.

Christine Spar is a newspaper reporter who has to admit the existence of an ancient evil, and then defeat it. She also gets a character arc, as she becomes poisoned by her continued identification as Grendel. It may be less mythic, but there's more meat there.

Christine brings other assets to the table, such as a child in danger and fabulous ta-tas. You can see why the producers were interested in her.

I kind of agree with you. Since comic book movies are becoming successful and more popular the studios want to duplicate a books success on film. Unfortunately with "Devil By The Deed," the 'hero' is essentially a villain and they can't have a comic book movie where the hero is evil.

Chrisitnes Spars story is more Good vs. Evil. So it's more easy to make.

But the Devil By The Deed back story is very important to understand Chrisitne Sparrs story, known as "Devils Legacy." So I dont know how the film makers will fit the Hunter Rose back story and the Christine Sparr story into one film.

RogerSC 11-15-05 01:59 PM

"Devil By The Deed" would have been a better movie to start out with IMO. The book itself kind of feels like a movie, whereas "Devils Legacy," is way too long. The story is like this:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine Sparr writes about Grendel having a personal connection to the story, has her son abducted, finds out its a Kabuki dancer who kidnapped him, finds out that the Kabuki dancer is a vampire and is abducting children to drink their blood and then sell there eyeballs, falls in love with a younger man, hunts down the vampire for revenge, fights him but does not kill him.
She thinks its finished, but then the cops are after her, and after alot of harrassment she decides to fight back killing some police officers.
Then the archenemy of the original Grendel decides to bring her to justice...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!END OF SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The story is way too long, as was the comic book arch, for a 100 min movie. Hunter Roses story is more fluid and could be filmed easily.

Josh-da-man 11-15-05 06:32 PM

"Devil by the Deed" was actually a rather sparse work, so I think I'd rather see it fleshed out into a movie.

Hunter Rose is actually a rather fascinating character... he's like Bruce Wayne who made a decision early on to turn to the dark side ... vicious, ruthless, manipulative.

I fear that if Warners is going to be making this, it's going to "Catwoman 2." I'd love to see a director like Fincher take a crack at the material.

RogerSC 11-16-05 12:28 AM

Johnny Depp would have been good for the part of Hunter Rose, not because he's popular at the moment, but he has the features and young face that the character is supposed to have.

I kind of got depressed when I heard that Warner Bros was behind it. I was hoping it was New Line (I know WB owns them, but they did good by Blade I n II) or someone like Miramax. It seems like TimeWarnerAol has to big a public name and face to attach it to something as dark as Grendel.

After reading how they changed V For Vendetta, I don't have too much faith in them as far as non-traditional comic book movies go.