Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Originally Posted by Draven
But the stars were all men, so it's cool.
Said no one ever (except you).
Old 02-08-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
There is one marked "Scenic" but I'm not so sure ...

Where are the female director, producer(s), and studio executives? SEXIST!

EDIT: I do see a few producers. I also see a little kid. CHILD SLAVE LABOR!

Yes, my misogyny is just trolling. However, my issues with this concept are real. It's no different than making an all-black version of the Honeymooners. There is no justification, it is just pandering. I will see this, and I hope I am wrong in thinking it will suck. I don't think that because there are women in the cast; I think that because it appears (so far) not to be a reimagined telling.

Old 02-08-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie will make than the other two combined and go on to be a smash hit. Not even worth an argument.

I did like that Honeymooners movie. lol
Old 02-08-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I get tired of defending my complete disinterest in this film as being misogynistic. Give me a competent cast (I think McKinnon and Wiig will do as well as the script can offer them) and an at least an above average director, and I might care.
It has an Oscar nominee which is more than the original had going for it (though Aykroyd eventually got a nom) and Feig is absolutely more of a sure thing after his 3 $100 million+ McCarthy collaborations than Reitman was. Even if you fudge it a bit and give Reitman Animal House in addition to Stripes and Meatballs (and he only produced AH, John Landis directed it) you'd be hard-pressed to say Feig is a less-bankable director.

As for the "bomb" predictions: the Feig/McCarthy collaborations pulled in an average of about $250 million each worldwide with no pre-existing IP. Even with the $156 mil budget there's no path to this thing bombing unless you're foolish enough to suggest that the Ghostbusters IP would have a negative effect on their successful collaboration.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 02-08-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Have we all forgotten that the 2nd Ghostbusters kinda sucked? And that had everyone back in top form.
I didn't
Old 02-08-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
It has an Oscar nominee which is more than the original had going for it (though Aykroyd eventually got a nom) and Feig is absolutely more of a sure thing after his 3 $100 million+ McCarthy collaborations than Reitman was. Even if you fudge it a bit and give Reitman Animal House in addition to Stripes and Meatballs (and he only produced AH, John Landis directed it) you'd be hard-pressed to say Feig is a less-bankable director.

As for the "bomb" predictions: the Feig/McCarthy collaborations pulled in an average of about $250 million each worldwide with no pre-existing IP. Even with the $156 mil budget there's no path to this thing bombing unless you're foolish enough to suggest that the Ghostbusters IP would have a negative effect on their successful collaboration.

Yeah well, THEY WANT THIS FILM TO BOMB. It's no prediction, it's a WISH.
Old 02-08-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Said no one ever (except you).
Well, all women is apparently a bad thing...so isn't it obvious that all men is the preferred casting?

Originally Posted by Chadm
Not only that but from what Ive seen from set pictures and the type of comedy in the Heat and Spy (like Melissa Mccarthy running into the ECTO's car door.) The humour is gonna fall waaaaay off the mark from the type of humour in the original films. Not to mention that Leslie Jones is the worst comedic actor and comedian WHO EVER LIVED.
The original had Rick Moranis sliding down a window screaming and then all the New Yorkers went back to eating their dinner or Peck getting doused with marshmallow. Humor like that, you mean?

Again, I LOVE the original. It's one of my favorite movies ever. But there are some dumb physical humor jokes in there too.

And if Leslie Jones is the Winston analogue, then she doesn't really need to be funny, right?

Last edited by Draven; 02-08-16 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

A bunch of people threw out the idea of being okay with a mixed gender cast. Also the way this film is so clearly aiming its girl power message as evidenced by that ridiculous picture makes it so in your face and obnoxious. As if some people weren't very excited before the filmmakers are just stirring the pot on why they shouldn't be even more.
Old 02-08-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The obnoxiousness is all in your head. What's obnoxious about a handful of character pics, 4 character posters and a visit to a children's hospital.

And nobody is buying this whole "I'm against it because it's a remake, not because they're women" thing. No remake has ever experienced the venomous hate this thing is experiencing. I'm sure you all have lots of gay friends and black friends too.
Old 02-08-16, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

And if Leslie Jones is the Winston analogue, then she doesn't really need to be funny, right?
This thread is extremely cyclical. Pretty sure I argued this with you like 50 pages ago.

but here's a new wrinkle - why does she have to be the winston analogue? Just cause she's black?

Old 02-08-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The obnoxiousness is all in your head. What's obnoxious about a handful of character pics, 4 character posters and a visit to a children's hospital.

And nobody is buying this whole "I'm against it because it's a remake, not because they're women" thing. No remake has ever experienced the venomous hate this thing is experiencing. I'm sure you all have lots of gay friends and black friends too.
The picture that showed the group of women with a banner that fucking had girl power written on it? Seriously it's like they're screaming for attention. We get it women are starring and play roles in making this film. For the filmmakers to put that out is obnoxious.
Old 02-08-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm against this solely because of Leslie Jones. That is all. If it were Colin Jost (trying to think of someone else that's new on SNL that I find equally unfunny) in a major motion picture, I'd be against it, too.
Old 02-08-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's good it's good. If it's bad it's bad. Whatever.
Old 02-08-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Josh Trank called begging to differ.
Old 02-08-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
This thread is extremely cyclical. Pretty sure I argued this with you like 50 pages ago.

but here's a new wrinkle - why does she have to be the winston analogue? Just cause she's black?

Nope, because if everyone is an analogue of a previous one, it seems like McCarthy is Ray (she's a professor), Wiig is Venkman (the story seems to be about her), McKinnon is Egon (at least that is what the pictures seem to be indicating and she was already teamed up with McCarthy, like Ray and Egon were already working together on the Ghostbusters idea) and that would make Jones Winston.

And I'm sure we argued about this too - but we still have people saying that an all female cast is a "gimmick" when an all male cast was not.
Old 02-08-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
The picture that showed the group of women with a banner that fucking had girl power written on it? Seriously it's like they're screaming for attention. We get it women are starring and play roles in making this film. For the filmmakers to put that out is obnoxious.
What exactly is obnoxious about empowering women? Because that's what "girl power" means. Let me guess: you wanna be able to see a bunch of dudes waving a "boy power" banner, am I right?
Old 02-08-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly is obnoxious about empowering women? Because that's what "girl power" means. Let me guess: you wanna be able to see a bunch of dudes waving a "boy power" banner, am I right?
It's not the empowering women aspect it's being so blatant about it. To have that group holding a banner with that message on it just comes off as desperate and attention seeking. It draws more attention to the fact that they are women and almost like they want acceptance when if what they're making is strong enough on its own that shouldn't matter and they shouldn't have to shove that message down our throats.
Old 02-08-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not the empowering women aspect it's being so blatant about it. To have that group holding a banner with that message on it just comes off as desperate and attention seeking. It draws more attention to the fact that they are women and almost like they want acceptance when if what they're making is strong enough on its own that shouldn't matter and they shouldn't have to shove that message down our throats.
Women have been shoved into the background for generations. Yet it bothers you this much that they hold up a banner? What harm does it do?
Old 02-08-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Women have been shoved into the background for generations. Yet it bothers you this much that they hold up a banner? What harm does it do?
Like I said I just think it comes across as desperate and like they feel like there's a certain group that they need to win over which may be true but being in people's faces about it is going to turn those types of people off even more. The product should be able to sell itself if it's good and shouldn't have to be so blatant about the girl power message.
Old 02-08-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When was the last time you saw a movie sell itself? Did you happen to watch the Super Bowl yesterday?
Old 02-08-16, 05:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

Leslie Jones isn't the Winston analogue, she's the demon-dog analogue in Dana's fridge.
Old 02-08-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When was the last time you saw a movie sell itself? Did you happen to watch the Super Bowl yesterday?
Trailers are an entirely different thing all together (which this film still has yet to present). That is selling the film and what they are designed to do. A bunch of women in a cast and crew picture holding up a girl power banner is a different thing. If you can't see that I'm not sure what to tell you.
Old 02-08-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I once had a manager who told me we didn't have to demo Super Mario Sunsine; Because the game will "sell itself." After two weeks of stale sales, I broke his ruling and placed the game in the demo kiosk. We sold through our initial stock and the Gamecube bundles that contained the game. Point is....marketing and this movie does need to win over people...namely the entirety of this thread.
Old 02-08-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right but there's a difference between marketing in terms of merchandising, trailers, posters, etc versus a cast and crew picture with that message on it. That's more like taking a stance and letting people know it (which is fine but isn't marketing). It's not marketing the film other than to pro feminists.
Old 02-08-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trailers are an entirely different thing all together (which this film still has yet to present). That is selling the film and what they are designed to do. A bunch of women in a cast and crew picture holding up a girl power banner is a different thing. If you can't see that I'm not sure what to tell you.
So spending millions of dollars marketing a movie isn't offensive to you (someone who thinks movies should sell themselves) but a couple dozen women holding paper banners is? Go back and read what you're writing, friend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.