Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters III (D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon)

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
So I guess we've moved on from, "An all female cast team is a gimmick, unlike the all male original," to, "OMG, Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones are ugly, unlike Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd."
I don't care what someone looks like in comedy, as long as she's funny. Jones is not funny in any way. McCarthy can be funny when she's not ridiculously over the top.
Old 02-16-15, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Decker

I do echo the opinion on Jones however. Great that they want a black woman on SNL (and maybe this), but not her. She's not funny.
The other new black woman (Sasheer Zamata) is exponentially funnier than Jones.

I searched for Jones mentions on twitter during the SNL special and was saddened that about 50% (rough estimate) of the tweeters thought she was hilarious and their "favorite thing about SNL". Wtf is wrong with humanity.
Old 02-16-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I do like McKinnon quite a bit. But Jones? She is incredibly unfunny, and just awful. Horrible beyond belief. And that's being nice.
That's fair. After all, everyone back in the day was a huge fan of the comedic stylings of Ernie Hudson.
Old 02-16-15, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
That's fair. After all, everyone back in the day was a huge fan of the comedic stylings of Ernie Hudson.
But Hudson wasn't SUPPOSED to be funny. He was the straight man - no extensive comic background. Leslie Jones is supposed to be funny, but simply isn't.
Old 02-16-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

After the revelation of you working on a female daytime talk show, all your posts about this make more sense.
Old 02-16-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Still think this is going to suck. I like Wiig, but I don't find Jones, or McKinnon very funny at all. I don't even think her Justin Bieber imitation that people were going crazy for was that great either. The only McCarthy movie I enjoyed was Identity Thief and that was due more to Jason Bateman.

Ghostbusters was one of the best movies of the 80's with three of the best comedic actors of their generation. I can't see anyone with a straight face saying the same about any of the "new" Ghostbusters.
Old 02-16-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But Hudson wasn't SUPPOSED to be funny. He was the straight man - no extensive comic background. Leslie Jones is supposed to be funny, but simply isn't.
And Leslie Jones is supposed to be funny in this version?

Originally Posted by fumanstan
After the revelation of you working on a female daytime talk show, all your posts about this make more sense.
This all boils down to the fact that for some, an all-male Ghostbusters team is great and an all-female one is a gimmick. Not sure what my job has to do with pointing that out.
Old 02-16-15, 10:02 PM

Don't know yet, haven't seen it. Not sure why you're taking this approach - But she is a "comic" on a live "comedy" show, so I think that's a safe assumption.
Old 02-16-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Sister Act is about nuns. Who are women. But are only guys allowed to be Ghostbusters?

*checks thread*

Oh wait. Yep.
As long there isn't a reference to the original movie AND we have NO CAMEOS by the original actors, this might work. Otherwise, I just have to wonder if this is going to be some touchy-feely flick with the soundtrack featuring Melissa Etheridge and Adele, along with 4 Toyota Prius vehicles being transformed.
Old 02-16-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This all boils down to the fact that for some, an all-male Ghostbusters team is great and an all-female one is a gimmick. Not sure what my job has to do with pointing that out.
Because you're the only one in this thread fighting the good fight. We get it. You love the idea and will be there at midnight screenings the day it comes out.
You just don't stop.
Old 02-16-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't know yet, haven't seen it. Not sure why you're taking this approach - But she is a "comic" on a live "comedy" show, so I think that's a safe assumption.
Ernie Hudson had appeared on a few comedic shows before Ghostbusters.

My point is that if Jones is the Ernie Hudson of this version, maybe she doesn't even have to be that funny? Hudson got a few good lines in the first one but he was definitely the least funny of the group.

The women chosen for this reboot are pretty analogous to the original male Ghostbusters as far as their careers are going. In fact, Wiig and McCarthy are probably bigger stars than Murray and Akroyd were at the same time. The main difference seems to be that they are women instead of men and that's an issue for some reason. I honestly don't get it.

But I can also tell it's a losing fight. It's probably best to just wait for the movie to come out before declaring it terrible because girls.

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Because you're the only one in this thread fighting the good fight. We get it. You love the idea and will be there at midnight screenings the day it comes out.
And I said I'd be at midnight screenings...when? I never said I loved the idea. The first is one of my favorite movies of all time and this could be an AWFUL reboot. I'm just not ready to discount it simply because it stars women instead of men. And if the objections are things "the black one isn't funny in this version" when the black one wasn't funny in the original then I'd guess something else is going on.

Anyway, you all have fun in here.
Old 02-16-15, 11:00 PM

I have no issue with a female ghostbusters. Not one. Well, just one. Jones, and only Jones. Well, and the fact that a reboot of ghostbusters (like most reboots) is completely unnecessary. If it were an all-male cast, I'd say the same thing.

Give me a break on Hudson. Guest starring on a few shows back in the day is not the same as being a stand-up comic and appearing on THE sketch comedy show. Hudson appeared on some shows, but did not have a comedy background. No way around it.
Old 02-16-15, 11:04 PM

And if the objections are things "the black one isn't funny in this version" when the black one wasn't funny in the original then I'd guess something else is going on.
Who said anything remotely like "the black one isn't funny in this version"? The movie doesn't even exist yet. I'm saying Jones isn't funny, period. I've never so much as cracked a smile at anything I've seen her do.

If they bring Jones on to be a straight man, that doesn't change anything about her being unfunny outside of this movie.
Old 02-16-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

This all boils down to the fact that for some, an all-male Ghostbusters team is great and an all-female one is a gimmick.
Because it is a gimmick? There's no reason it couldn't be a mixed cast. It's basically clickbait casting to get people talking.
Old 02-16-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Because as i've noticed in other threads, you keep trying to play social police and your job happens to match that kind of view point that's typical of those shows the way you repeatedly tell the rest of us how sexist we must be. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I just found it amusing.

I argued this all before, but an all female cast is a gimmick but I don't think calling anything a gimmick is a negative connotation as clearly they work in many cases (and honestly, this reeks of studio execs saying "let's do the same thing, but with all women!"). And if you recall some previously rumored casting (that was way off, it turns out) it was actually met with a lot of positives. Hell, some positive things are being said about McKinnon and Wiig. There were a ton of rumored male casts well before Feig that people hated the idea of as well in this thread, and it just happens a lot of folks on this forum dislike McCarthy. Not to mention the director's history of recent movies being a negative.

Bottom line to me is there's negatives surrounding this entire project that isn't just about women, but the way you seem to angle this as just some sort of sexism thing repeatedly seems like you're riding the high horse

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-16-15 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I would have been happier with a reboot featuring both genders.
Old 02-17-15, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Actually, I just envision her repeating the line "OH HELL NO!" at least 8 times in the movie along with at least one "You white bitches be crazy!"
Old 02-17-15, 06:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

guarantee there will be a scene were she puts a ghost in its place with her sass.

puke.
Old 02-17-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Because it is a gimmick? There's no reason it couldn't be a mixed cast. It's basically clickbait casting to get people talking.
If they'd gone with an all male team like the original, would you be calling it a gimmick?
Old 02-17-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
If they'd gone with an all male team like the original, would you be calling it a gimmick?
How many times is this going to be asked in this thread? Make an argument proving an all-female cast isn't.

You're not going to win anyone over other than Draven. I'm not sure how this isn't gimmicky. Please explain.
Old 02-17-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
As long there isn't a reference to the original movie AND we have NO CAMEOS by the original actors, this might work. Otherwise, I just have to wonder if this is going to be some touchy-feely flick with the soundtrack featuring Melissa Etheridge and Adele, along with 4 Toyota Prius vehicles being transformed.
I get that there's backlash about the casting but DAMN that's some hostility right there.
Old 02-17-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How many times is this going to be asked in this thread? Make an argument proving an all-female cast isn't.

You're not going to win anyone over other than Draven. I'm not sure how this isn't gimmicky. Please explain.
Old 02-17-15, 12:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you prove a negative? What is it about making a movie where the all the leads are women that makes it a gimmick?
Old 02-17-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still don't get why people are upset that this is being called a gimmick. A gimmick is just something used to attract attention, and it seems obvious to me that taking an existing property/franchise and changing up an aspect of it to appeal to a different demographic is exactly that. It sure seems they're using an all female cast as a selling point here.

If they rebooted Sex and the City with all men, i'd call it a gimmick. Or made a Bridesmaid 2: Groomsman with all guys (although I guess that's basically the Hangover ).
Old 02-17-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If they rebooted Sex and the City with all men, i'd call it a gimmick. Or made a Bridesmaid 2: Groomsman with all guys (although I guess that's basically the Hangover ).
People already called Bridesmaids the "female Hangover" when it was released:
https://www.google.com/search?q=brid...emale+hangover

With Sex and the City, the main point of the show and subsequent movies were that it was about a group of women and their friendship and romantic relationships. Their gender was part of the point.

With Ghostbusters, it's about a bunch of doofuses who fall into the ghost catching business. Their gender had about as little to do with it as their race.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.