Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Old 08-03-14, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
re: Ghostbusters III (D: Feig, S: Bullock, McCarthy, Wilson)

Originally Posted by My Other Self
That's been the plan in every incarnation of the script, dating back to the Ghostbusters: Hellbent spec from 1999. It's the only feasible way for this to do business, because aside from the internet, the general movie going public isn't going to flock to a film starring Aykroyd & Ernie Hudson (and Sony wouldn't be stupid enough to release a film with them starring on their own, given how long this film has been languishing in development hell).

Oh, I know the history of it, I'm just stating that's what they should do, and get it done already, lol... I think Rogen, Franco, Hill, Rudd, Segel, maybe even Carell or Chris Pratt could be perfect for this if done in the same vein as the original. Definitely something I would see.
Old 08-03-14, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point I'm starting to think the best idea would be to make a film like Adaptation, with Dan Aykroyd starring as himself, and it's all about how fucking impossible it's been over the past two decades to get Ghostbusters III made. He'd have a much better chance at getting Bill Murray involved in some arthouse shit like that, too.
Old 08-03-14, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lol, I've actually been thinking about it now for a bit, and the story really writes itself at this point.

If I've had some good ideas in my head just sitting here for a few minutes, think of what Hollywood writers should be able to come up with! Come on!
Old 08-03-14, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
At this point I'm starting to think the best idea would be to make a film like Adaptation, with Dan Aykroyd starring as himself, and it's all about how fucking impossible it's been over the past two decades to get Ghostbusters III made. He'd have a much better chance at getting Bill Murray involved in some arthouse shit like that, too.

Nah, Arthouse has nothing to do with it, Bill Murray has always hated sequels. He turned down Charlie's Angels 2, Caddyshack 2 and Meatballs 2. He never wanted to do a Ghostbusters II and hated the process and the film itself.

He did 2 Garfields, but one can assume sitting in a recording studio for a couple days and collecting a fat paycheck outweighed the cons.

Plus his latest film St Vincent is a pretty straight forward broad comedy.

I don't blame him for not wanting to do a third GB, even though before Ramis's death I really hoped he would.
Old 08-03-14, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Easy. As someone who recently watched Ghostbusters II on Netflix in SuperHD, it's not a good film and just one of the reasons on why I would not be upset if we never saw a third.
Relevant answers only please
Old 08-03-14, 06:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

meh. men, women, dogs, talking babies... just doesn't matter. If it's not the original 4 members, I'm not interested. Now, if they got their shit together earlier, had the original 4 in 3/4ths of the new movie then passed the torch to a younger crew (which could include women) towards the end of the film, then maybe I would have supported it. But without a oujia board and a time machine that's just a pipe dream.
Old 08-03-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Let's see now, Reitman hasn't directed a decent movie in over two decades, I can't remember the last time Aykroyd was remotely funny, especially in a sequel to one of his most popular projects (*cough* Blues Brothers 2000 *cough*), Ramis is dead, and Murray isn't even remotely interested. If someone wants to do something new and different with the property, it's probably for the best.
Old 08-03-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It's times like this I'm glad Bob Zemeckis and Bob Gale own the rights to BACK TO THE FUTURE and have promised that there will never, ever be another sequel or reboot.

Not to say that an all-female GHOSTBUSTERS wouldn't make a whole lot of money (it probably would), but I want a sequel to the prior films, not a fresh reboot (even if it were males).
Old 08-03-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

So this basically boils down to "3 male comedians=funny" versus "3 female comedians=not funny"? Because that's what the original Ghostbusters was (3 male comedians) and that seemed to work out okay.

Gotta love the internet.
Old 08-03-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Let's see now, Reitman hasn't directed a decent movie in over two decades, I can't remember the last time Aykroyd was remotely funny, especially in a sequel to one of his most popular projects (*cough* Blues Brothers 2000 *cough*), Ramis is dead, and Murray isn't even remotely interested. If someone wants to do something new and different with the property, it's probably for the best.
I was thinking the same about Reitman. It's not like he was cranking out massive hits instead of doing Ghostbusters 3. He was crapping out turds until the end.

Ramis is the big loss. Egon is an iconic character. Ackroyd and Hudson could still be in 3 in some fashion but without Murray it would be weird. 3/4 ths of the team is easier to swallow than 1/2.

I don't see why the need to go to one extreme (all female) when they could easily make a good mix. Replace Egon with a daugher of one of the other guys or something like that.
Old 08-03-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
So this basically boils down to "3 male comedians=funny" versus "3 female comedians=not funny"? Because that's what the original Ghostbusters was (3 male comedians) and that seemed to work out okay.

Gotta love the internet.
Old 08-03-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Was Ernie Hudson a comedian?
Old 08-03-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

The female crew is too gimmicky ... If you are going to go that route, I would rather see it with kids in the vein of Bugsy Malone.

If you really want to do this, here's how you do it:

It's been 30 years since the Ghostbusters saved New York City. Time has not been kind ... After the events of the first movie (we are retconning the second one out) the group disbanded. Egon has passed away from some strange experiment he tried on himself. Winston has become an actor on a "paranormal" children's TV show in Japan. Ray has gone back to teaching at NYU and appearing on a "Ghost Hunters" style reality show. Peter had cashed in by selling Ghostbuster franchises across the country. With a historic low in paranormal activity, the franchise business came back on Peter who is now fighting fraud charges. Most of the "buyers" have filed suit against him.

After thirty years of paranormal "silence" Ray stumbles upon "something" during one of his TV shows. The group refuses to reunite, so one of Peter's franchises (of course a misfit group who wants to believe) hooks up with Ray to battle evil and save the world.
Old 08-03-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love the internet.
Oooooooorrrr....most of the original parties arent going to be involved so no thank you?
Old 08-03-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously. Aside from Bridesmaids not being my cup of tea, there's no need for a GB without the original cast, or most of them. If they go this route, just call it something else.

Having said that, if a reboot has to be made, let Rogan's team have a shot at it. Not because they're primarily men, but because their movies are funny.
Old 08-03-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

If Melissa McCarthy is anywhere near this film count me out. I'd be okay if the film is a reboot and the team has a female member but hopefully they don't go with a full female cast. I agree with the comments about handing it off to Rogen and Franco. They seem like a decent fit even though I don't love all their films.
Old 08-03-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark my words, if they do an all-female cast it'll feature either McCarthy or that other dumb fat blonde, Rebel Wilson.
Old 08-03-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The female crew is too gimmicky ... If you are going to go that route, I would rather see it with kids in the vein of Bugsy Malone.

If you really want to do this, here's how you do it:

It's been 30 years since the Ghostbusters saved New York City. Time has not been kind ... After the events of the first movie (we are retconning the second one out) the group disbanded. Egon has passed away from some strange experiment he tried on himself. Winston has become an actor on a "paranormal" children's TV show in Japan. Ray has gone back to teaching at NYU and appearing on a "Ghost Hunters" style reality show. Peter had cashed in by selling Ghostbuster franchises across the country. With a historic low in paranormal activity, the franchise business came back on Peter who is now fighting fraud charges. Most of the "buyers" have filed suit against him.

After thirty years of paranormal "silence" Ray stumbles upon "something" during one of his TV shows. The group refuses to reunite, so one of Peter's franchises (of course a misfit group who wants to believe) hooks up with Ray to battle evil and save the world.

That's pretty good. My idea had the group coming back together for a statue dedication ceremony by the city, county, and state of New York for Egon, who at some point in the past 25 years died in the line of duty but had repeatedly helped save the city of New York from paranormal destruction. After years of no activity, inevitably there would be a new threat, but the original 3 would realize they can no longer do it on their own because of their age, so recruit younger GBs. This leads into the creation of franchises and acts as a soft reboot of the series by the end of the first (3rd) film.
Old 08-04-14, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters III (D: Feig, S: Bullock, McCarthy, Wilson)

As someone who recently watched Ghostbusters II on Netflix in SuperHD
Old 08-04-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Gotta love the internet.

Old 08-04-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Am I missing something with those images?
Old 08-04-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
I agree with the comments about handing it off to Rogen and Franco. They seem like a decent fit even though I don't love all their films.
Chris Pratt as Peter, Seth Rogen as Ray, James Franco as Egon, Craig Robinson as Winston, Michael Cera as Louis, Emma Stone as Dana, Jillian Bell as Janine, and Jonah Hill as Slimer AND the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Boom. Cast complete, where's my fucking paycheck Sony?

Have you guys seen Jonah Hill lately? He looks like he's trying to get the lead role in the Melissa McCarthy biopic.

Spoiler:
Old 08-04-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Am I missing something with those images?
Incorrect aspect ratios are racist!
Old 08-04-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Chris Pratt as Peter, Seth Rogen as Ray, James Franco as Egon, Craig Robinson as Winston, Michael Cera as Louis, Emma Stone as Dana, Jillian Bell as Janine, and Jonah Hill as Slimer AND the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Boom. Cast complete, where's my fucking paycheck Sony?
I'd prefer if they just played new characters but that's not a bad cast honestly. Maybe not Michael Cera but Chris Pratt would be a good choice and I could really see Rogen and Franco being good choices. It's really too bad that we can't get a film that transitions the old Ghostbusters team to a new one as I think that would be the ideal way to go with a reboot. Granted you could have Ray and Ernie possibly but it's not going to be the same without Egon and Peter.
Old 08-05-14, 06:38 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Just want to preserve this title in this thread before it get's changed again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.