Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - Female reboot - D: Feig, S: McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Old 12-15-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Ghostbusters III (D: Feig, S: Bullock, McCarthy, Wilson)

Originally Posted by Defiant1
According to the Sony hack, the 5 leading contenders are:

Spoiler:
Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, Lizzy Caplan, Melissa McCarthy, and Amy Schumer
Spoiler:
Melissa McCarthy

YES!!!!!1
Old 12-16-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I would think it interesting though if Ryan Gosling were a part of it. Or the proposed Channing Tatum/Chris Pratt Ghostbusters spin-off.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/rya...-ghostbusters/
Old 12-16-14, 06:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I wouldn't fancy the idea of Tatum doing a GB film... but I'd watch it either way just for the weird casting of him with Pratt.

Hrmmmmmm. Pratt would be a good fit in GB.
Old 12-16-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Sony Hack: Channing Tatum's 'Ghostbusters' Pitch
by Ryan Gajewski 12/16/2014 1:57am PDT

Does Channing Tatum want to be the person you call if there's something strange in your neighborhood?

As more leaked emails hit the web following the Nov. 24 cyber attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment's systems, the actor's pitch for a new Ghostbusters movie in which he would star has come to light.

1. Channing Tatum wants himself and Chris Pratt to strap on proton packs.

In August, Tatum sent the following email to Sony co-chairman Amy Pascal, seemingly to express his interest in starring in a new Ghostbusters film: "Let us show the world The DarkSide and let us fight it with all the glory and epicness of a HUGE BATMAN BEGINS MOVIE. I know we can make this a huge franchise. Fun adventure craziness. COME OONNNN!!!"

An email sent the following day by Columbia Pictures co-president of production Hannah Minghella shed more light on the possible project, which brothers Anthony and Joe Russo (who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier) would develop and produce for Tatum and Pratt to star in. "In a curious turn of events, the Russos and Channing want to develop Ghostbusters as a vehicle for Channing and Chris Pratt to do together," Minghella wrote. "The Russos, Channing and [Tatum's producing partner] Reid [Carolin] have been brainstorming ideas and want to create a whole new mythology that would support multiple movies (the way that [Christopher] Nolan reinvented Batman)."

Minghella, who wrote that the film would be "simultaneously super scary while also super funny," pointed out that the Russo brothers are close with Paul Feig, who is helming a female-centric Ghostbusters reboot. According to Minghella, the Russos would like Feig to direct the Tatum-Pratt film, as well as the all-female one.

Minghella wrote that she thinks both films could exist together, and her fellow Sony execs appear to agree. They all wrote back with enthusiastic replies, including Pascal, who summed up her sentiment with one simple word: "f—."

2. Prepare to jump out of your seat during Paul Feig's Ghostbusters film.

An email from Feig revealed that he plans to make his film "scarier and more hi-tech" than the 1984 original. He wants Peter Dinklage to play the film's main villain, a convicted murderer who returns as a ghost when his execution is disrupted by "a supercharged electrical storm."

3. Feig wants a certain Saturday Night Live actress in it, too.

Feig's email stated that the film will center on four female Ghostbusters who work for the government, although the government claims not to be affiliated with them in order to deny the official existence of ghosts. The women "figure out in funny, scary and action-packed ways how to save New York City and the world."

Feig also hopes to have SNL's Cecily Strong as a bureaucratic antagonist who is "always saying terrible things about them in press conferences and then apologizing to them behind the scenes."
Not sure about the last idea of making them work for the government. A little too MiB-ish.
Old 12-16-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I think Amy Schumer would be a great fit, and wouldn't mind Tatum and Pratt. In fact, toss those 3 together and I'd be good. Lizzy Caplan as the Annie Potts type would work fine too.
Old 12-16-14, 10:15 AM
Banned

I wouldn't mind if they added some non white actors either.
Old 12-16-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Tracy Morgan would have been good before his accident.
Old 12-16-14, 10:26 AM
Banned

I always thought Craig Robinson would be good for GB.
Old 12-16-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He would be
Old 12-16-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can we get Bobby Brown back for the soundtrack?
Old 12-16-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Would love to see Tatum and Pratt in a Ghostbusters film. Wouldn't mind of some of the women in the mix either. Not sure about how two Ghostbusters movies with different groups makes sense though.
Old 12-16-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure Sony knows what they're doing.
Old 12-16-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony seems to do alright honestly, especially when compared to some other production houses out there.

The Equalizer, 22 Jump Street, About Last Night, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, etc; turned out fine how they were. They gave Blomkamp a little too much control on Elysium and let Sandler do what he wants because he used to bring them boatloads of money. They are a whipping boy for ASM2 though.

But overall, not terrible, especially next to Dreamworks and Universal. Hurray more Mummy movies, Bourne sequels, Fast and Furious sequels, and Transformers movies. But I guess if it makes money.
Old 12-30-14, 08:55 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

After years of rumours about a Ghostbusters 3, we finally learned earlier this year that the franchise was being rebooted with Bridesmaids helmer Paul Feig at the helm. As with that movie and others he's directed, the focus will be on a female group of characters, but why reboot rather than do some sort of follow-up? "I have too much respect for the original one [to do a sequel]," the filmmaker says in the latest issue of Empire Magazine (transcribed by CBM). "There's also the feeling that once the world knows ghosts and has seen them busted on such a large scale, they run the risk of becoming pedestrian. There's something fun about introducing our world, which has never seen ghosts to the phenomenon of ghosts. I love origin stories and to introduce new characters." As for the (controversial?) decision to go for an all-female cast of characters, Feig added: "A lot of people accused it of being a gimmick. I guess I can see the cynics' view of it, but for me I just love working with funny women. People said, 'Why don't you do a mix?' I'm just more interested in the idea of lady Ghostbusters. It's the way my brain works."

As for how that cast might end up impacting the movie's title, Feig jokingly promised that "It won't be called Lady Ghostbusters! Certainly not...Ghostbustieres is the way to go." There has obviously been a lot of talk about who will end up starring in the reboot, with a number of actresses revealing their interest or that they've met with Feig about the project. The director however isn't committed to locking down anyone one way or the other just yet! "Right now, honestly, there could be 50 Ghostbusters. I'm just waiting to get our first draft of the script together to go, 'Who makes sense in these roles?' If I put the list in front of me of people that have said they want to do it, talk about a Sophie's Choice. When you do a movie like Ghostbusters, people get very interested."

Some very interesting details about the Ghostbusters reboot found their way online during the "Sony Hack" (you can find those by clicking here), but Feig told the magazine more about the tone that he and co-writer Katie Dipold are going for as they pen the screenplay. "I want ours to be scarier than the original, to be quite honest. Katie Dipold and I are so focused on wanting to do scary comedy. We don't want to hold back." The biggest question is just how extreme those levels of horror and comedy will end up being, and unlike many of Feig's other movies, the laughs at least won't be Rated-R! "The reason I do a lot of R-Rated comedies is that you want a movie to feel honest. But the Ghostbusters world doesn't need that level of swearing. We'll have to be PG-13 with this one. I would like to make it R-Rated, but I won't. You want the biggest number of people to watch it and not be put off by it." What do you guys think about these latest details?
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=112917
Old 12-30-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I just don't want to see this movie.
Old 12-30-14, 12:24 PM
Banned

Feig isn't a filmmaker that I see that can make this work. He's too predictable.
Old 12-30-14, 12:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Ghostbustieres. even in jest, SM FUCKING H.
Old 12-30-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He says he respects the first film SO MUCH, yet he's about to add a travesty to the franchise.

Sure you do, buddy.
Old 12-30-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I don't understand why he can't make it a mix of characters instead of all female. It would be a much more interesting dynamic.
Old 12-30-14, 02:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'd rather have them be all midgets and call it Ghostmunchkins.
Old 12-30-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I'd rather have them be all midgets and call it Ghostmunchkins.
Maybe this all female crew will be lesbians and they can call it Ghostmunchers.
Old 12-30-14, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't understand why he can't make it a mix of characters instead of all female. It would be a much more interesting dynamic.
This. That's so much more exciting than just a female cast. Male and female. Different races and cultures. Could add so much to GB. But no..Just female.

I do wonder if he's going to get an all white cast or mix it up though. Cuz... like it or not, even though he wasn't the most important member... Winston sure as hell made it made it that much more memorable. Maybe I'm wrong.. but is there a "boring" scene w/ Winston in GB1? It's all good isn't it? What little there is....
Old 12-30-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
This. That's so much more exciting than just a female cast. Male and female. Different races and cultures. Could add so much to GB. But no..Just female.
I doubt it's an all-female cast...just the Ghostbusters will be female. I'm sure there will be one or two male leads as well. You had two leads in the first movie (Weaver and Moranis) that weren't Ghostbusters, and plenty of supporting roles (like Annie Potts and William Atherton).
Old 12-30-14, 02:50 PM
Banned

I'm not talking about the overall cast. Noboby thinks it's an ALL FEMALE CAST in every role, gtfo if you think so. We're talking about the cast that matters. The Ghostbusters.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-30-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The dickless joke just won't have the same impact.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.