DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Similar sequences in "Kill Bill" and "Miller's Crossing" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/443313-similar-sequences-kill-bill-millers-crossing.html)

ScandalUMD 10-30-05 01:58 AM

Similar sequences in "Kill Bill" and "Miller's Crossing"

In the animated sequence in "Kill Bill Vol. 1," there is a sequence in which O-ren is hiding under a bed, and two men run into the room. She shoots one man in the leg, and, when he falls, shoots him in the head.

In "Miller's Crossing," there is a virtually identical sequence, in which Leo kills the hit men who break into his house.

Does anyone know if this is just a coincidence, or if Tarantino was referencing "Miller's Crossing"? Or if both films are referencing something earlier that I haven't seen before?

PopcornTreeCt 10-30-05 02:04 AM

Is referencing what they call it nowadays? When it comes to Kill Bill, it's hard to say anything is coincidence.

Fincher Fan 10-30-05 02:28 AM

Exactly my thoughts, PopcornTreeCt.

NatrlBornThrllr 10-30-05 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is referencing what they call it nowadays?

Hey guys incase you hadn't heard, Quentin Tarantino steals from other filmmakers. Pass it on!

-JP

ScandalUMD 10-30-05 10:55 AM

You know, considering all the derivative garbage that comes out, I think it's pretty ridiculous to rip on Tarantino for ripping stuff off. Even if some of the parts are stolen, he amalgamates them into something that's different than whatever else is out there.

And if the originality of a film like "Pulp Fiction" is no longer self-evident, it's only because so many people have ripped off Tarantino since it came out in 1994.

Mainly, I was curious as to whether both Tarantino and the Coens swiped this from some earlier film, or if Tarantino took it from "Miller's Crossing."

obscurelabel 10-30-05 11:11 AM

Still waiting for the title change:

Similar sequences in "Kill Bill" and "(insert name of movie here)"

kvrdave 10-30-05 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Hey guys incase you hadn't heard, Quentin Tarantino steals from other filmmakers. Pass it on!

-JP

rotfl

rexinnih 10-31-05 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=NatrlBornThrllr]Hey guys incase you hadn't heard, Quentin Tarantino steals from other filmmakers. Pass it on!

What!?!?!? Lies I tell you, lies! :lies:

cleaver 10-31-05 02:33 PM

There's a similar sequence in Bulletproof with Damon Wayans. The movie was a turd, though, so who cares?

wendersfan 10-31-05 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Mainly, I was curious as to whether both Tarantino and the Coens swiped this from some earlier film, or if Tarantino took it from "Miller's Crossing."

It wouldn't surprise me if the Coens swiped it from another film, although I don't know for sure. I'm not aware of anything original in anything Tarantino's made.