Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

**Official Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire Thread Nov. 18th (PICS) 56K Step Off**

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

**Official Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire Thread Nov. 18th (PICS) 56K Step Off**

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to see this tomorrow eveing, the latest showing I can find too! I don't want any damn kids there
Old 11-18-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to say casting Brendan Gleeson was a stroke of genius. He was *perfect* as Moody, although I would have liked to see him scream "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" The flask drinking was giggletastic. Snape was, as usual, deliciously snide, but there wasn't nearly enough of him or Sirius in this movie.

I would like a Potter Stinks button like the ones in the movie.

I also really liked Argus Filch in this film. The scene with him and Mrs. Norris at the Yule Ball was precious.
Old 11-18-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed the movie, but like others have said there is a lot cut out, and some stuff that is going to make it hard for futrue movies. My only real problem with the movie is Dumbledore.
Spoiler:
I just dont like Gambon playing him, and he seems like a bumbling old fool in the movie, easily confused, and always seems to be yellingand very emotional. Nothing like how he is portrayed in the book as wise, cool, collective and never overly shows his emotions.
This is what is really missing from the movie in my opinion. I also didnt like Fluer, who was kind of a wasted character in this movie. With all that, I did really did enjoy the movie. You just have to learn that the movies will be very different from the books from here on out and try to seperate the two.
Old 11-18-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Update! Fleur Delacour gets naked..... in another film.

http://wwtdd.com/index.php?type=one&i=325
Movies NSFW.
Old 11-18-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the 1st showing today. By far the best Movie,but I was a little disappointed in the movie as the book was my favorite. I loved it but not as much if it was longer and had key things from the book.
Old 11-18-05, 11:08 PM

So, was I not paying attention, or was the reason for
Spoiler:
Fleur's elimination from the 2nd contest
glossed over in the movie? I totally missed it and having a hazy memory of the book I couldn't figure out why
Spoiler:
she didn't finish.

Last edited by RogueScribner; 11-19-05 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-18-05, 11:09 PM
Retired

Just got back from seeing it.

Loved it, as I expected to as it's my favorite book. They absolutely nailed the graveyard scene, I was worried it would get toned down too much in the film, but not at all.

Only nitpick is I wish they'd made it 15-30 minutes longer so they could have had the dursleys in there and more of the world cup. It felt very rushed until they got to hogwarts, from there on I was fine with what was cut.

But definitely my favorite of the films so far. Dark, suspenseful, Moody was great, the action was great, Fiennes was great as Voldemort. I'd give it a solid 4/5. Can't wait for Order of the Phoenix.
Old 11-19-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Update! Fleur Delacour gets naked..... in another film.

http://wwtdd.com/index.php?type=one&i=325
Movies NSFW.
She looked good in her swimsuit in the Harry Potter film, but damn!
Old 11-19-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The World Cup stadium was immensely awesome. I'd like to see it on IMAX.
Old 11-19-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueScribner
So, was I not paying attention, or was the reason for
Spoiler:
Fleur's elimination from the first contest
glossed over in the movie? I totally missed it and having a hazy memory of the book I couldn't figure out why
Spoiler:
she didn't finish.
You mean the 2nd task. I don't think it was glossed over. I think I heard something was mentioned by Dumbledore when he was announcing the scores. It may have been easily missed because everytime a hero or a precious thing surfaced, the students cheered.
Old 11-19-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Loved the movie but think it would have still been served better by a longer cut or two movies as originally planned.

1. Fred and George are perfect. It is amazing how perfect they are in this film.

2. I don't really like Dumbledore. Harris had him perfect, and I suspect Gambon went a different way to distinguish himself but it wasnot the right path. Dumbledore is brilliant and whimsical and very eccentric but also supremely confident. In the move, Gambon actually grabs and shakes Harry. Dumbledore would never do that in my view. He expressed frustration to Harry which again was out of character. Dumbledore admits he is wrong, but not frustrated. He's just off. Harris was perfect. Gambon looked more the part this time, but still he does not have the spirit of Dumbledore down.

3. Mad-eye Moody was pretty much spot on.

4. The graveyard scene was excellent, though it looked a bit too much like a soundstage. Wish they had filmed it in a real graveyard.

5. Voldemort was good, and mostly how I pictured him.

6. Miranda was fantastic as Rita Skeeter. Would have loved to see her plotline with the book and Hermoine. (Maybe they filmed it and it will be part of an extended edition)

7. Speaking of extended editions, I hope they filmed a lot of the other stuff and will release an extended version. It would be great.

8. Krum and Diggory were really excellent, Fleur was not as competent as she was in the books, but OK.

9. Cho is perfect. Plus you gotta love the normal British accent. Very cool.

10. Dragons were excellent.

11. Belatrix tortured Nevilles parents. I hope they are not changing this in the movies. It will create some real problems for Book 6.

12. They saved money by rarely animating the paintings in Hogwarts. This really bothered me. It is an important part of the school.

13. Moaning Myrtle scene was very well done.

14. Mrs Weasley was missed. As were the Dursleys but I understand the cuts.

15. Rickman IS Snape.

16. The three leads are great, and they need to sign them all for the full series. They look the right age, and only in the last one might they look a tad old depending on when Rowlings releases it so it can be filmed.

17. Filch was great in this movie.

18. The reveal scene and everything after the graveyard just did not work that well really. Not sure how to do it better, but it just felt a little off.

All in all, great film and look forward to the next. Although it was not the best book, it could make a great movie with the Umbridge/Nazi subtext if done well and a great final battle in the hall of mysteries.

Here's hoping for an extended DVD. Out.
Old 11-19-05, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
I caught the midnight showing last night with some coworkers. For some weird reason, there were people dressed up as Star Wars characters there. ???
Same with me! There was a good dozen or so, donning lightsabers and brown robes.

I thought that although the beginning was pretty rushed, it was a great adaption of book 4. The whole movie never seems to let up-I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 11-19-05, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by johnnysd

15. Rickman IS Snape.

I just wish there was more of him in this film.
Old 11-19-05, 08:49 AM

On the topic of Dumbledore, I was a a bit shocked at how he treated Harry, as well. I would almost like a mix of Gambon and Harris. Harris seemed a bit mechanical at some points (ie, you could see his mind working ... line, smile, line, look over spectacles), and Gambon is too emotional and rarely exudes the solemn power you'd expect from Dumbledore.

When I mentioned before that I was disappointed by the graveyard scene, let me qualify with that statement that it truly did look like I had envisioned when I read the book. My disappointment stemmed from the fact that, besides his appearance, I didn't really find Voldemort to be menacing. I'm not sure if it was because he was the speed at which he was talking or just his voice ... it just felt off to me.
Old 11-19-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Wow...this is a GREAT movie. It might be my favorite of the four...it's certainly my most favorite since the first one. The pacing was wonderful and the director made excellent choices as to what to keep from the book and what to throw out. If you'll read some of my earlier posts, I was really worried (from the trailer) that this would be the worst of the lot, and I just had a big smile on my face the whole way through. This is one of the best pictures of 2005!
Old 11-19-05, 09:33 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Kal-El
You mean the 2nd task. I don't think it was glossed over. I think I heard something was mentioned by Dumbledore when he was announcing the scores. It may have been easily missed because everytime a hero or a precious thing surfaced, the students cheered.
Yep, and Hermione said to Harry that Fleur never even got past the Grindylows.

Not to mention we see something rush at her in the water and then her scream.
Old 11-19-05, 09:38 AM

The last two reels were pitch-perfect. Up until then it was unfocused and hollow. The World Cup scenes were chaotic and ugly. Radcliffe and the whole adult cast was good (Snape's silent business was the best scene), but the other kids are in this self-conscious phase that I hope they outgrow. The visual effects and cinematography were superb, but the editing was always working against my involvement. But yeah, from the maze on it was wonderful. So I'd have to say that it was good, but nowhere near as good as Azkaban.
Old 11-19-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mookyman
The last two reels were pitch-perfect. Up until then it was unfocused and hollow. The World Cup scenes were chaotic and ugly. Radcliffe and the whole adult cast was good (Snape's silent business was the best scene), but the other kids are in this self-conscious phase that I hope they outgrow. The visual effects and cinematography were superb, but the editing was always working against my involvement. But yeah, from the maze on it was wonderful. So I'd have to say that it was good, but nowhere near as good as Azkaban.
OK, I was just about to post my thoughts, but mookyman pretty much nailed it for me. Could've down without that passing of the dwarf scene and wasn't too impressed with Dracula in the graveyard either, but it was well worth the trip to the theater.

3.5 out of 5
Old 11-19-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mllefoo
The World Cup stadium was immensely awesome. I'd like to see it on IMAX.
It was incredible. I totally reccommend it.

I loved this film, easily the best of the bunch. It really makes the first two look very mediocre. Columbus's directing was so bland, and typical. It was serviceable direction, and that is probably the worst thing you could say to a director.

Cuaron's and Newell's film oozed with style and greatly reflected both directors. They used all the great tools of a director, and got (mostly) the best out their actors.

The pacing was great, the film was beautiful, the action was intense, and the emotions were high. Pretty much delivered in every way possible.

My few problems with the film were: No "Constant Vigilance" and Ralph Fiennes. Fiennes missed something for me. He was so close to nailing it. I think he just was just too human, and not enough evil incarnate. He wasn't terrible just slightly missed the mark.

So, yes I loved the film.
Old 11-19-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
This is the best HP movie to date and my personal favorite book as well. This is exactly how editing (from the book) should have been done for the third (worst of the bunch) movie. While I would have loved to have seen several of the subplots in the movie, everything in the movie had to do with the story and nothing was "filler". There was no editing like the last one where Cuaron took 10 minutes with the Knight Bus but couldn't explain some of the key points of the plot. Newell was able to tell what was essential to the plot and what worked for the movie and cut that which might drag it down. I liked how he was able to put a lot of nuances from the book in as well, such as the Potter Stinks badges.

Thanks to the high bar set in the third movie the SFX were incredible. I still kind of like some of the visual style of the first two though. They fit in much more with the HP universe. The hallways especially looked VERY drab. None of the paintings or ghosts floating about adding to the charm of the school. Everything having to do with the exterior looked wonderful though. I actually liked how the dragon escaped and they were able to fly around the grounds. It serves as visual flair like the Buckbeak scene of the last film while still serving a purpose to the overall story.

I really like the Ball scene. Very well done with the decor and the little character nuances that were throughout the book. I really could have done without the flitwick/midget crowd surfing though.

The acting was improved. I for one though Daniel Radcliff didn't do as great of a job in the third as everyone thinks. He was more realistic this time around especially at the end. I'm not sure about Gambon though. He is way to serious. Even the licorice candy line was supposed to show his light hearted nature but came off WAY to serious. I liked him better in this one though. After reading the sixth book I'm not sure if it wouldn't be wise to maybe get a different actor.

I'm not sure of the soundtrack though. It was the first one without John Williams and while it fit the movie I just wish he used the HP theme more often to really link the feeling of the HP universe.
Old 11-19-05, 02:45 PM

Just got back from the movie. Thought it was really good, but there was one thing I didn't get about the ending.

Spoiler:
When Harry got back from the graveyard, why didn't he explain to Dumbledore exactly what happened and who was involved (especially Draco's FATHER)?
Old 11-19-05, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by RN2BE
Just got back from the movie. Thought it was really good, but there was one thing I didn't get about the ending.

Spoiler:
When Harry got back from the graveyard, why didn't he explain to Dumbledore exactly what happened and who was involved (especially Draco's FATHER)?
Spoiler:
In the book Harry mentions it, but even though Dumbledore believes him, there is no proof. He essentially names a bunch of people who were suspected and cleared. Since nothing comes of it in the book, I assume that it wasn't worth mentioning in the movie.
Old 11-19-05, 06:19 PM

This is my favorite of the Potter books, and now it is my favorite of the movies. I was so entranced by the story the time flew by. I am drunk with geeker joy. The only problem with the movie is that it is so long that I can't feasibly go see it again today. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 11-19-05, 07:04 PM
Uber Member

It was fun, but it really had a feel of a checklist of all the big plot points of the book. And it was so rushed...maybe I feel that way because I've read the book so much (it's my favorite so far) and know what's being glossed over or changed, but everything seemed to go by so quickly. Then it kind of slowed down too much during task 2 for a bit and then our theater seemed to have some kind of technical difficulty right when they go into the maze and you couldn't see anything for a couple minutes. I kept expecting Harry to shout "lumos!"

I still think the 3rd film did the best at capturing the feel of the books for me. GOF is quite a bit better than the first two movies in this regard, but with so much more attention to the plot than character development it had the feel but didn't really do anything with it. And Gambon's Dumbledore was a disappointment too.

Spoiler:
I also thought it was too bad that they didn't keep Hermione's hair frizzy for the first 3 movies as it would have made her reveal during the ball more dramatic. And no "Herm-own -ninny"? That was a shame.

I also thought it funny that so much of the exposition was cut out of the end of the movie...leaves an awful lot for the next guy to add in.

Did anyone else think the music was a bit heavy-handed in spots? Really thought it oversold some moments and hit the wrong notes at others.

Still, lots of good stuff too. Be interesting to see how they do Order of the Phoenix.
Old 11-19-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Am I the only one that think Gambon did a great job? He is not the Dumbledore from the books, but he is much better than Harris. I think Harris took it way too seriously.

My favorite scene of Gambon's was the post-pensieve one. His all over the place contemplation, really captured Dumbledore for me.

I think the the ideal DD would be somewhere in between Harris and Gambon. Hopefully he gets it right by the 6th one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.