Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Moviegoing Companion Regrets

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever gone to the movies with someone and instantly regretted taking that person to see that movie? Here are two examples of what I'm talking about.

-- I had a friend in high school who was deeply religious and because of this he was very picky about movies for fear of being exposed to certain content. But he wanted to see the 1987 version of DRAGNET. As soon as the villainoius organization P.A.G.A.N. was introduced, I could sense him squirming for the rest of the film.

-- About a week after her big, mangy dog died, my girlfriend at the time and I went to see THE FLY II. How was I to know that the movie would include scenes in which a mutant dog (who resembled her now deceased dog) was tortured. She cried throughout the movie, but refused to leave the theater.

Anyone else have similar stories?
Old 10-20-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
One girl I was dating earlier this year used to repeat outloud every "good" or "funny" line that a character said on screen. I don't know it she was conscious of doing it or not - but it drove me CRAZY. As a frequent movie-goer and a big film fan, I couldn't imagine continuing to see flicks with that going on - so she was out the door. Yes, I'm pretty shallow.

So, not a specific film...but still slightly on topic.
Old 10-20-05, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
One girl I was dating earlier this year used to repeat outloud every "good" or "funny" line that a character said on screen. I don't know it she was conscious of doing it or not - but it drove me CRAZY. As a frequent movie-goer and a big film fan, I couldn't imagine continuing to see flicks with that going on - so she was out the door. Yes, I'm pretty shallow.

So, not a specific film...but still slightly on topic.
Off topic for a second, but was her second toe longer than her big toe also?
Old 10-20-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not so much regret as funny, but here goes:

I have a VERY Christian friend. We were seeing An Unfinished Life and the preview for Brokeback Mountain came on. I knew what it was about, but she didn't. I'm watching her out of the corner of my eye. It starts off as two cowboys, then there's a scene where they're curled together and I see a bit of a squirm from her (later on she said she thought they might be huddling for warmth). Then there's this intimate embrace between them and I hear her say "Whaaaaaat???" right out loud. It was freaking hilarious. I still get the funnies from that one...
Old 10-20-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went to see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me with my mom. Awkward.
Old 10-20-05, 02:13 PM

I took a date to see Dead Heat back in the 80s. She laughed so loud and weird at stuff that wasn't all that funny, that I could feel all the eyes in the theater upon us. After the movie, I dropped her off at her house and told her "I'd call her." I haven't seen or spoken with her since. Guess I'm shallow too.
Old 10-20-05, 02:16 PM

Not someone I dragged along per say, more like friend of a friend. Although my friend who invited him was also acting funny during the movie. Here we are , 12 am showing of Star Wars Episode III, I knew something was off when every 15 minutes or so the both of them ran to the bathroom (during the entire movie). But the guy my friend invited along starts adding a damn commentary to certain scenes, screaming out "no way he does it!" during the first 20 minutes. After the guy in front of him told him to shut the hell up he quieted down for awhile. Then midway through the movie starts singing to himself, no I don't mean in his head I mean out loud. Now i'm sitting here thinking okay this is the hardcore crowd, how long will this go on before someone either throws popcorn or a drink, amusingly he finally shut l up after my other friends loudly told him to shut the fuck up.

Been to a lot of movies with a lot of different people but that was really the only time that had me going man I regret this.
Old 10-20-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took my mom to see Showgirls when it was in the theater. Talk about awkward.
Old 10-20-05, 02:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
I went to see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me with my mom. Awkward.
I subjected my mom to Poltergeist - and sat under one of the surround sound speakers that was quite loud - she didn't like it.

Also went with her to see Magnolia - the ranting and profanity from Tom Cruise's character made me more embarrassed than she.
Old 10-20-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
I took my mom to see Showgirls when it was in the theater. Talk about awkward.
I call bullshit.
Old 10-20-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In my teen years, a friend's mom got us into "Motel Hell". That was strange.
Old 10-20-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My mom took me to see Risky Business when I was 9... I don't see what's so unbelieveable about someone going to see Showgirls with his mom.

I had a friend who would go see a movie she's seen before and tell me to watch the cool moment coming up. "Oh my god, watch this" - I look over at her to find out why she is distracting me and then I miss the cool thing on the screen. I should've stabbed her in the neck.
Old 10-20-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember some friends and I going to a movie and my one friend drank a huge drink before the movie then decided to drink another large drink before the previews even ended. (Ahh...the days before commercials.)

It seemed like every 10 minutes he had to get up and use the restroom and when he would return he'd ask us what happened only to have us say "ah...some stuff" and continue watching the movie.

Drinks were outlawed and he got the aisle seat on future movie visits.
Old 10-20-05, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to see the Return of the King with my two female adult cousins. They proceeded to make "mmmmm" sounds every time Orlando Bloom was shown on the screen. Very annoying.
Old 10-21-05, 11:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
I remember some friends and I going to a movie and my one friend drank a huge drink before the movie then decided to drink another large drink before the previews even ended. (Ahh...the days before commercials.)

It seemed like every 10 minutes he had to get up and use the restroom and when he would return he'd ask us what happened only to have us say "ah...some stuff" and continue watching the movie.

Drinks were outlawed and he got the aisle seat on future movie visits.
reminds me of the time I went and saw Tales From the Crypt - Demon Night - so sloppy drunk, that I went to the bathroom every ten minutes... and I wasn't on the aisle seat, the friends I went along with weren't too pleased (mind you they were inebreated as well).
Old 10-21-05, 12:19 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I took a platonic female friend with me to see Demonlover. That was a mistake.
Old 10-22-05, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alien vs. Predator. Went with a friend who brought some friends from work. One thing I can't stand during a film is talking - even during a piece of shit like AVP. It's followed closely by clapping. These guys felt a need to comment on every little thing happening on screen. What's stupid is when they ask idiotic things like "Did you see that?" How else can you respond other than, "No, dickhead. It's only on a 40 foot screen right in front of me."
Old 10-22-05, 01:42 AM

Oh, I have another one!

This girl who I was interested in invited me over for dinner and she lived in her parents basement. I came over and found out we were having dinner with them, which I didn't know beforehand. Ok, fine. They invited us to stay there and so we all watched Bliss http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118742/ on PPV. That was incredibly uncomfortable with all the sex scenes and then the movie turned into it's focus to
Spoiler:
a child abuse theme. That was just crazy because I knew that the girls mother had been through this.
Not a fun night.
Old 10-22-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ringmaster, in the theater, with my grandmother. I was young enough, and she was old enough, that neither of us knew what we were going to see. We ended up leaving after the first 15-20 minutes. Talk about awkward.

-JP
Old 10-22-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I had an extremely religious friend SHRIEK outloud in the theater when Tom Selleck and Kevin Kline kissed in "In & Out." Pretty embarassing...not someone I dared see anything "controversial" with after that.
Old 10-22-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Took a first date to Silence of the Lambs. She didn't know me well enough to know that I laugh at inappropriate things. She thought I thought the movie was funny. Last date as well.
Old 10-22-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Took a first date to Silence of the Lambs. She didn't know me well enough to know that I laugh at inappropriate things. She thought I thought the movie was funny. Last date as well.
Maybe she should be posting in this thread. Heh.
Old 10-22-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Well, if you laughed at "It puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again," I can see why it was the last date.