Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Domino getting HORRIBLE reviews

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-14-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

I was kinda looking forward to this one, as the last batch of trailers made it look like a lot of silly fun - but it now has a 15% on RT - even if you don't really listen to critics, has any movie that's gotten below a 30% EVER been any good?

Anyways, a 15% is just abysmal. Too bad.

Sample reviews:

"Only afterward, as you amble out of the theater in a dizzy whir do you start to realize you haven't been entertained but assaulted."

"A hopeless mess of never ending exposition and random, completely unrelated side trips into useless minutia."

"It's like someone smashed open a piñata full of film-school devices and Tony Scott grabbed them all. Oliver Stone, on his best day, couldn't make a movie this incoherent."

"possibly one of the worst movies I’ve had the distinct displeasure of viewing in many years. Mind you, I say this after seeing "Alone in the Dark" and "The Man" this year."

"Domino demonstrates no knowledge of how to tell a story, relying instead on Knightley's ability to sneer and swing nunchucks and Tony Scott's inability to leave any single frame of his film unprocessed. It looks not only like it's been bleach-bypassed to smithereens (for that Fincher feel), but also as though the camera's come loose of its crane and whipped around on cables like a firehose for a few hours."
Old 10-14-05, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"My name is Domino Harvey and I will be coming to DVD in two months"

Most of those reviews I can stomach, but that second last one is the one that makes me worried. Still looks fun, but it can't be worse than The Man, can it? ... can it?
Old 10-14-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
"Domino demonstrates no knowledge of how to tell a story, relying instead on Knightley's ability to sneer and swing nunchucks and Tony Scott's inability to leave any single frame of his film unprocessed. It looks not only like it's been bleach-bypassed to smithereens (for that Fincher feel), but also as though the camera's come loose of its crane and whipped around on cables like a firehose for a few hours."
They played a scene during Comic-Con last July and I had the same thought (except for the non-story comment). I wasn't sure if this visual style was throughout the film or just for this one scene that we saw. Sounds like too much of a good thing?

I guess these reviews will put me on the fence until I hear from non-critics. Bad reviews doesn't mean it might not be fun to watch... or maybe it does
Old 10-14-05, 10:01 AM

I wish Tony Scott would reign himself in a little. It's like he's trying too hard to be cool when he should just try to make a good movie (without overprocessing every single frame of film).
Old 10-14-05, 10:06 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm this is surprising news. I thought they followed the forumla EXACTLY for this one. Oh wait... Hmmm
Old 10-14-05, 10:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueScribner
I wish Tony Scott would reign himself in a little. It's like he's trying too hard to be cool when he should just try to make a good movie (without overprocessing every single frame of film).
This has been his trend for his past few movies and it looks like he's finally gone over the top. I sort of expected this, to be honest.

Although Ebert gave it 3 stars.

A character in Tony Scott's "Domino" is described as having "the attention span of a ferret on crystal meth," and that pretty much describes the movie. If I were to attempt a summary of the plot, this review would continue uninterrupted through the business section and end somewhere on the sports pages. Not many movies have two narrations, one written, one spoken, and not many require them But the damned thing has its qualities, and one of them is a headlong, twisting energy, a vitality that finds comedy in carnage.

Last edited by Geofferson; 10-14-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 11:06 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Geofferson

Although Ebert gave it 3 stars.
Because you get to see Keira's Knightleys. Ebert loves boobs.
Old 10-14-05, 11:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Keira Knightley has boobs?
Old 10-14-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Keira Knightley has boobs?
Old 10-14-05, 11:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Some more...

"How else could a nightmare of sight and sound like Domino be explained? Tony Scott has lost his storytelling abilities, and now he wants to punish us all."
-- Brian Orndorf, EFILMCRITIC.COM

"Could have…no, should have been a hyper-exciting blend of violence, drama, sex, and celebrity craziness. Instead, though, it’s just hyper."
-- Jon Popick, PLANET SICK-BOY

"Domino is a horrid piece of junk."
-- Willie Waffle, WAFFLEMOVIES.COM
Old 10-14-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Well, before the reviews came in, I kinda wanted to see it - now I really want to see it. Who doesn't love a good train wreck? Though I may just wait for the dvd, as I assume that Tony Scott's... hyper-activity might be easier to take on the small screen.
Old 10-14-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While he's not the epitome of a movie reviewer (or really even a movie reviewer at all), Harry Knowles' comments summed up my take on the movie pretty well: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21524

-JP
Old 10-14-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Man, I'm avoiding this thing like the plague. I'm usually all for a nasty train wreck, but I'm too far behind on good movies at this point to even bother...

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 10-14-05 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-14-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It got a horrible review in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning too. The little man was asleep.
I think there is probably a reason why it sat on the shelf for so long. I saw a preview for this movie over a year ago.
Old 10-14-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge it yet, but Ebert does have a weird habit of giving great reviews to trashy awful films and then giving crap reviews to thoughtful interesting films that don't adhere to his personal or political philosophy.

Example: During the same summer, Tomb Raider got 3 stars and a loving review, while A.I. was dumped on because he felt robots should not be protagonists since you can't care about a machine.

Another example is him giving this movie a great review (if it is crap, I don't know yet), but trashed War of the Worlds because "I don't like the way the walkers look." He also disliked WOTW for the reason that I thought it was great and different from other alien invasion movies: we only got the protagonist's point of view and no explanations or information that the character wouldn't have, putting us in there with him wondering what the hell's going on with this senseless attack. Ebert wanted more pat answers and a better wrap-up.
Old 10-14-05, 12:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hated the trailer, and it sound s like the fears I had about that trailer have come true. Too bad, the idea sounded good on paper.
Old 10-14-05, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Roger Ebert gave A.I. three stars: Review
Old 10-14-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The real Domino died in June at the age of 35 of "undisclosed" causes. Possibly she caught an early cut of the movie.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies...domino14q.html
Old 10-14-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Roger Ebert gave A.I. three stars: Review
Well I'll be damned, he changed it. Must have. I remember distinctly getting all pissed off because he gave it two stars when it came out.
Old 10-14-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge it yet, but Ebert does have a weird habit of giving great reviews to trashy awful films and then giving crap reviews to thoughtful interesting films that don't adhere to his personal or political philosophy.

Example: During the same summer, Tomb Raider got 3 stars and a loving review, while A.I. was dumped on because he felt robots should not be protagonists since you can't care about a machine.

Another example is him giving this movie a great review (if it is crap, I don't know yet), but trashed War of the Worlds because "I don't like the way the walkers look." He also disliked WOTW for the reason that I thought it was great and different from other alien invasion movies: we only got the protagonist's point of view and no explanations or information that the character wouldn't have, putting us in there with him wondering what the hell's going on with this senseless attack. Ebert wanted more pat answers and a better wrap-up.
Ebert often goes for "style-over-substance". I still haven't completely forgiven him for getting me to see "The Haunting" remake based on his *** rating. But I guess as Ebert explains to Roeper, his thumbs are all relative. Regardless, I'm staying far away from "Domino". One thing that seems certain: if you found the style of "Man on Fire" to be distracting and annoying, this one will drive you insane.
Old 10-14-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a hard time with "Man On Fire" because of Tony Scott's garnish color palette and quick cuts.
Old 10-14-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll see anything Scott does. Every once in a while, I need to see a trashy, 'R' rated sex and violence romp to keep me from forgetting how I'm still a red-blooded American male.

And if he finally gives us an SE of 'Crimson Tide', I'll be first in line to buy.
Old 10-14-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by RogueScribner

Oh man, I think I'm tripping on acid everytime I see a Man on Fire. I was fully expecting Domino to be the same. Over processed, loud and very much like a bad trip on E.
Old 10-14-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like Elizabethtown from the infallable Cameron Crowe isn't doing too hot either. Only 28% on the ol' Tomatometer.
Old 10-14-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I had a hard time with "Man On Fire" because of Tony Scott's garnish color palette and quick cuts.
Agreed. I wanted to really like it but he kept pulling me out. And the "super cool" subtitles bugged the crap out of me.

I'm guessing this will be exactly the same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.