Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Carlito's Way - Prequel- Any good?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-18-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone heard about this "straight to dvd" movie coming out next week? Curious if there are good or bad things to be heard?

Last edited by j123vt_99; 09-18-05 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i'm guessing that they didn't make the film with "Direct-to-Video" in mind.
Old 09-18-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will probably give it a rental, but not expecting much.
Old 09-18-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Well, i'm guessing that they didn't make the film with "Direct-to-Video" in mind.
I agree....however I did talk to a warner rep this past week who said they had this in mind for direct to dvd all along. He explained that they had a new division for direct to video opening and they wanted a few good titles to kick start it. These titles included the new carlitio's way movie, and american pie band camp.
Old 09-18-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Original's Big Star: Al Pacino
Sequel's Big Star: Diddy

That's all you need to know.
Old 09-19-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
I agree....however I did talk to a warner rep this past week who said they had this in mind for direct to dvd all along.
And I'm sure a rep wouldn't bend the truth to push a product...
Old 09-19-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 09-19-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree....however I did talk to a warner rep this past week who said they had this in mind for direct to dvd all along. He explained that they had a new division for direct to video opening and they wanted a few good titles to kick start it. These titles included the new carlitio's way movie, and american pie band camp.

i can't really recall a "straight to dvd/video" getting this much advertising, so maybe there is some truth
Old 09-19-05, 09:01 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I agree....however I did talk to a warner rep this past week who said they had this in mind for direct to dvd all along. He explained that they had a new division for direct to video opening and they wanted a few good titles to kick start it.
Well he fed you a line of bullshit because RISE TO POWER had a theatrical release date ready to go for some time, and only over the last handful of months was shifted over to a direct-to-video status...don't believe the hype...Universal has a stinker on their hands and they know it...
Old 09-19-05, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Well he fed you a line of bullshit because RISE TO POWER had a theatrical release date ready to go for some time, and only over the last handful of months was shifted over to a direct-to-video status...don't believe the hype...Universal has a stinker on their hands and they know it...
Well, neither of you are correct. It never actually had a release date, and the distribution plan was up in the air until just a couple of months ago. I worked on the movie from November of last year until February and stayed in touch with the Editor and Associate Editor (I worked for them again later in the year.) Even as of July, they were in the dark about its future. I had to tell them that it was going straight to dvd after I found an announcement online (I think at davisdvd.) As far as Warner's being involved, that would be news to me! Anyway, if anyone has questions about the film, I can probably answer them (I saw the film assembled and edited from the beginning because the budget forced the entire editorial crew into one small room. It was actually an amazing experience- regardless of the quality of the footage. Usually someone in my position would be lucky to see an assembled scene, let alone watch the film take shape and actually contribute opinions.)
Old 09-19-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 705 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Cent Deposit
Anyway, if anyone has questions about the film, I can probably answer them

Yeah...how about the first question...the title of the thread:

Old 09-19-05, 03:56 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Well, neither of you are correct. It never actually had a release date, and the distribution plan was up in the air until just a couple of months ago.
I'll be willing to go so far as to say the info I had on the project may have been unverified or even outright faulty, but I got the core issue--RISE TO POWER was NOT conceived as a direct-to-video piece--correct...
Old 09-19-05, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'll be willing to go so far as to say the info I had on the project may have been unverified or even outright faulty, but I got the core issue--RISE TO POWER was NOT conceived as a direct-to-video piece--correct...
I'm curious to know why you are so certain of this. I will agree that there was a period when theatrical distribution seemed possible... but I can't honestly say whether it was ever a realistic expectation.
Old 09-19-05, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Yeah...how about the first question...the title of the thread:

I will say this: you should not watch the film with expectations that are based on your feelings toward the original. The prequel was conceived to be an entirely different type of film.
Old 09-19-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The prequel was conceived to be an entirely different type of film.
You mean cash in on the original? Does it manage to stand alone?
Old 09-19-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 133 Posts
Just saw a preview on tv for this movie.............uh, I'll pass.
Old 09-20-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no doubt reps will BS...just passing along what i heard
Old 09-20-05, 11:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The film IS getting a very limited release in theaters.
Old 09-20-05, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
You mean cash in on the original? Does it manage to stand alone?
It does not require knowledge of the first film, if that is what you mean. Fans who are more familiar with the DePalma original may even be puzzled or surprised by this one. If you are curious about whether it is any good... well, wait for the reviews. Isn't that usually sensible?
Old 09-20-05, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
The film IS getting a very limited release in theaters.
I don't know why you say this. All I've heard of are single engagements (screenings paid for by the producers) for radio contest winners et al. Maybe that has changed, though.
Old 09-20-05, 01:43 PM
Banned

Supposedly, the limited theatrical release was two weeks ago...but being in the Midwest, we can never confirm these things...
Old 09-20-05, 01:49 PM

I don't know why you say this. All I've heard of are single engagements (screenings paid for by the producers) for radio contest winners et al. Maybe that has changed, though.

*sigh*

1) www.landmarktheaters.com

2) Go to the Los Angeles or New York City listings.

3) Scroll down.
Old 09-20-05, 03:39 PM

*sigh*

1) www.landmarktheaters.com

2) Go to the Los Angeles or New York City listings.

3) Scroll down.
*sigh*

You are so much smarter than I am.

I was just at the Landmark Sunshine here in NYC on Thursday night, for the premiere of Everything Is Illuminated. I'm not convinced that it will actually carry Carlito for more than one or two "special" screenings. If it does, well, that's great. Like I said, maybe things have changed. My point is that screens at the the Sunshine can be bought for a night at a time. The producers of Carlito have tried very hard to find a way to say that the film is getting a theatrical release. Until a few days ago, the official website had absolutely no information beyond something to the effect of "Late in September keep your eyes open for very special limited preview showings." My guess is that this is what they came up with. It's not the same thing as actually having a distributor.
Old 09-20-05, 04:15 PM

You are so much smarter than I am.

I wouldn't go that far, I just did my homework.
Old 09-20-05, 04:29 PM

I wouldn't go that far, I just did my homework.
Well, you said that the film is getting a liimited release. What exactly does that mean? There is a difference between "releasing" a film and exhibiting it. I can rent (or even purchase) prints of old films and exhibit them publicly, as long as I am willing to fork over a few hundred dollars in fees. I have friends that do this, and none of them would call it "re-releasing" the movies. My guess is that the producers are paying for the right to exhibit the film (I was never entirely sure what the ownership is, actually) and are expecting to take a loss. I know for a fact that tickets are being given out via radio stations and other promotions. This is all being done so that the film doesn't have the stigma of "direct to video" all over it. The hope is that the added gloss of a couple of theatrical screenings will translate to a few more units sold. You may have done your "homework," but you still sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

Do a couple of sneak previews that happen after the DVD release count as being "released"? I guess we could argue that all night and day. I say no.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.