Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Lord of War"...anyone see it yet?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 08:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I was wondering if I should see this tomorrow. The reviews are all over the place and like 50/50, most saying it is like a Michael Moore docu. Is it or is it an entertaining end of summer movie?
Old 09-15-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From the reviews on Rottentomatoes.com it seems like either you buy into what the movie is "selling" or you don't (which I guess goes for any movie, really). Apparently, the movie has a message, but I have a hard time believing it is anything like a Michael Moore "message."
Old 09-15-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently, you have to look past the evilness of the character to get it.
Old 09-15-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I saw it today and loved it. It's a fun satire. There is an anti-gunrunning message in it but it never feels as if the film is preaching to you in spite of the fact that there are several scenes throughout that are meant to do just that. I dunno how but it's preachy without being preachy. Anyhoo, I think I may just go see it again. Nicolas Cage was wonderful in this.
Old 09-16-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just screened it tonight and loved it. It's very unconventional, and Nicolas Cage continues to confirm he's back from the action drivel and once again choosing quality roles in fantastic films (a la Adaptation and Matchstick Men).

He sells you on a character who you're not supposed to like - and the film's message is dead on, but is very sly. All around great film... one of the best you'll see all year.
Old 09-16-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flynn
Just screened it tonight and loved it. It's very unconventional, and Nicolas Cage continues to confirm he's back from the action drivel and once again choosing quality roles in fantastic films (a la Adaptation and Matchstick Men).

He sells you on a character who you're not supposed to like - and the film's message is dead on, but is very sly. All around great film... one of the best you'll see all year.
I agree entirely.

Spoiler:
So what did you think of the knock on the door? *l*
Old 09-16-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have been looking forward to this for over a month - good to hear that you guys liked it so much.
Old 09-16-05, 08:18 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Ebert's 3 1/2-star review here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...509150305/1023
Old 09-16-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks as if I better put this on my short list of current films to see.
Old 09-16-05, 10:09 AM

sounds good. just convinced me to see it, thanks!
Old 09-16-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto.

Gonna see it this afternoon!
Old 09-16-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am going to try to go see it this weekend. It looks good from the trailer.
Old 09-16-05, 02:21 PM

very good movie! thoroughly entertaining and both Cage and Leto are magnetic in their performances. very bleek subject matter, but what a ride this movie takes you through. i was engaged from the opening sequence which is magnificent, to the very end.

anyone know who saw, who the
Spoiler:
big kahuna general is? i had thought at first it was the voice of Donald Sutherland, but then by looks i thought maybe Scott Glenn...well, i just looked into imdb and sure enough it was Donald Sutherland, but how was that his figure?. i love it when my suspicions were right. it does list him as "Colonel Oliver Southern", but i didn't think any name was mentioned and that he just symbolized a high ranking official. was it mentioned?

anyway, needed a good one with a little thought involved and this was it. the witty sarcasm and dialogue reflected through the 80's and 90's was great as well. great to catch the pulp references.
Old 09-16-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by scott1598
anyone know who saw, who the
Spoiler:
big kahuna general is? i had thought at first it was the voice of Donald Sutherland, but then by looks i thought maybe Scott Glenn...well, i just looked into imdb and sure enough it was Donald Sutherland, but how was that his figure?. i love it when my suspicions were right. it does list him as "Colonel Oliver Southern", but i didn't think any name was mentioned and that he just symbolized a high ranking official. was it mentioned?
Spoiler:
I believe his name was mentioned once if not twice. I'm at least sure Nic Cage reffered to him by name during the incident with the plane and I think he might have called him by name after the Colonel got him released.
Old 09-16-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got back from the first showing here. I loved this movie. Its something you dont see too ofen anymore, a good movie with good acting and a story to keep you entertained the entire way through. A must buy on dvd for me
Old 09-16-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too loved this movie.

Great story along with cinematography second to none.

I loved...

Spoiler:
the opening sequence where we followed the bullet around

I will most likely go see it again. Loved this flick!
Old 09-17-05, 03:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From a recent interview:

Spoiler:
Daniel Robert Epstein: The general was Donald Sutherland, right?

Niccol: His voice was but not the actual figure. He loved the material and then couldn’t be in the film because he had a another movie he had to do. So Donald Sutherland shows up for me in LA and just plays the voice. It’s a great compliment.
Old 09-17-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, this is one of the people Andrew Nicol based Nic Cage's character on:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0521-12.htm
Old 09-18-05, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by FiveO
I too loved this movie.

Great story along with cinematography second to none.

I loved...

Spoiler:
the opening sequence where we followed the bullet around

I will most likely go see it again. Loved this flick!
yes that *spoiler* above I thought would make a great short film.

Jared Leto was a really great contrast to Nic Cage.

no ones said anything about Bridget Mohnyhan. damn she just stopped me dead. beautiful.

what I liked was that this film came out of no where for me. I had been waiting for WeatherMan then I saw a trailer for this. I knew nothing about it. heard something about goodfellas meets matchstick men? meh. maybe.

if you like the cast just watch it and judge this for yourself. it's a unique movie, but not for the faint of heart.

also thanks for the info on 'orlov'
Old 09-19-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I am an obvious minority who did not really like it. I was bored for most of it.
Old 09-19-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. i thought it was cool that he talks to the camera at the very beginning and ends the movie the same way. both times saying a line justifying his line of work.
ethan hawke's character felt like it was the same guy from training day (i.e. honest cop, the rarest kind)
ian holme's presence was a nice surprise and his wife, bridget moynahan was
Old 09-20-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

loved it, pretty tragic too. Loved the opening. Overall its one of the best movies this year, bridget moynahan was amazing looking as always. I never realized about where all the guns go after ways. Crazy seeing huge stacks of guns .
Old 09-25-05, 12:15 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I saw it earlier today and I'm just not sure what to think.
Old 10-20-06, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally got round to seeing this. Excellent film! I imagined it was going to be a fast-paced action thriller, so was very pleasantly surprised when it wasn't at all but was actually a character-driven drama! Andre made me laugh with the whole:

Spoiler:
I know. But I prefer it my way.

It was a bit of an "aaah" moment when we finally got to the title of the film.

Loved the Brown Brown sequence too!

Last edited by Squirrel God; 10-20-06 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-20-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it, especially because Cage was so good in the lead role. however, I disagree that it's not preachy. It's got a very strong viewpoint that it keeps hitting again and again. I'm not saying I disagreed with it's viewpoint, just that the movie has a notable political bias. In particular,
Spoiler:
roping in the US military at the end of the film seemed tacked-on and gratuitous. Up to that point, there'd been no indication that they were involved, it was almost as if the filmakers were saying "but here's the REAL villains...GET IT!"
Also,
Spoiler:
Leto's character is a fairly stock "troubled but principled younger brother who acts as the concience of the film" character. He's fairly one dimensional, IMO.

Still worth watching, if just for Cage in top form.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.