Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ennio Morricone spaghetti western tribute on TCM 9/16

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-15-05, 01:56 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Friday night TCM will be airing the following three spaghetti westerns in honor of Ennio Morricone:

A Fistfull of Dollars
My Name is Nobody
The Five Man Army

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/T...102768,00.html

Ennio Morricone is one of the most prolific and versatile of all film composers, having written more than 530 scores for a wide variety of movies that include dramas, comedies, mysteries, horror films, Westerns and historical epics. His most celebrated scores are those for Sergio Leone's "spaghetti Westerns" and Brian De Palma's gangster epic The Untouchables (1987).

Morricone was born in 1928 in Rome and studied at the Santa Cecilia Conservatory, specializing in trumpet. He had created scores for several Italian films and television shows before finding fame in his first collaboration with former classmate Leone, A Fistful of Dollars (1964), composed under the pseudonym Leo Nichols. This was the film that introduced the spaghetti Western and established Clint Eastwood as a major film star -- and Morricone's witty, evocative score played a major role in its success. With their spare style and use of unorthodox instruments (electric guitar, harmonica, Jew's harp, etc.), his compositions revolutionized the way music was used in Westerns.

Morricone's other collaborations with Leone have included For a Few Dollars More (1965), The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966), Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), Duck, You Sucker (1971), My Name Is Nobody (1973), Trinity Is Back Again (1975) and Once Upon a Time in America (1984).

Morricone contributed one of his most rousing scores to The Five Man Army (1969), which was set in Mexico and featured an American director (Don Taylor) but had an Italian crew and the style of a spaghetti Western! Other outstanding Morricone scores have included those for Roland Joffe's The Mission (1986) and Giuseppe Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso (1989). Morricone's son Andrea is also a film composer.

The films in TCM's salute to Ennio Morricone are My Name Is Nobody (1973), A Fistful of Dollars (1964) and The Five Man Army (1969).
I've seen Fistful and Nobody countless times, but never Five Man Army. Some reports say that Dario Argento actually directed this (of interest to you horror buffs out there).
Old 09-15-05, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. I love The Five Man Army soundtrack, but I've never seen the actual movie. Of course, they have to throw the one I haven't seen on the latest.
Old 09-16-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Don't forget IFC's spaghetti saturdays. Including an excellent double-feature soon with Big Gundown and The Great Silence...Both scored by Morricone, BTW.
Old 09-17-05, 01:37 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And a follow up to Fistful is For a few Dollars more on IFC tomorrow!
Old 09-24-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Don't forget IFC's spaghetti saturdays. Including an excellent double-feature soon with Big Gundown and The Great Silence...Both scored by Morricone, BTW.
Tonight!