Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Danny Elfman badmouths Sam Raimi!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Danny Elfman badmouths Sam Raimi!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toben
There's more where that came from: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=4718
*ZING*

wow. that bring catty to a whole new extreme.

can't blame him though. I still adore his work.
Old 10-14-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow.. I'd love to hear Raimi's take on it. From Elfman's POV, I don't blame him at all though. But never say never.
Old 10-14-05, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Suicide Girs:

DRE: I read how you’re not going to work on Spider-Man 3. Do you want to comment on that?

ELFMAN: Let me put it this way, there is no amount of money that anybody could offer me to do Spider-Man 3. I would sooner go back to bussing tables,.

DRE: I look on the IMDB and I see six people credited with the music on Spider-Man 2. Did that contribute to your feelings?

ELFMAN: It’s all about how the production went completely insane at the end. It was the worst film experience I’ve had in 20 years. It was all pure insanity, it was all completely needless and in the end they went nuts trying to imitate every single note of their temp score. If I think somebody’s obsessively attached to a temp score in any way I’d stay away from it. But this was the worst I’ve seen times ten and I’ve worked with some pretty anal directors. Warren Beatty and Martin Brest are not easy people but this was taking anal retentive to a new extreme.

DRE: It’s odd because Sam Raimi is a guy you’ve been working with for 15 years.

ELFMAN: Sam was not there.

He was there, but he was not the Sam that I knew. As you said, I’ve known Sam for almost 15 years. It was my fifth movie with him and all I can say is that the person who was there at the end of Spider-Man 2 was not Sam. I don’t know who it was, but it wasn’t Sam. It was as close to living out Invasion of the Body Snatchers, as I’ve ever experienced. There’s a lot of micro-managers out there. Tim’s a micro-manager musically in his own way and there’s moments where he’ll get real obsessive over like a certain cue. But we work it out. Never in 20 years have I come across a situation where I couldn’t work it out. For a director to be a micro-manager is nothing new. If anything I would say most of them are. But to get to the level where you don’t need a composer, you just need a musical arranger to adapt note for note as close as possible. There’s nothing for me to do as a composer here.

DRE: Would you work with Sam again?

ELFMAN: Not if I can help it.

It’s too bad because Sam was at the top of my list. He was actually even easier than Tim to work with and we’d never had a disagreement. To see such a profound negative change in a human being was almost enough to make me feel like I didn’t want to make films anymore. It was really disheartening and sad to see the way it ended up. The end of Spider-Man 2 was a self-induced hysteria. It got to a point where I couldn’t even adapt my own music close enough because two thirds of their temp score was Spider-Man 1. If I varied from one note it was like a self-induced hysteria.

DRE: That’s bizarre.

ELFMAN: They wanted this one cue that was basically from Hellraiser and I was like “I can’t get any closer and I’m not going to imitate [Hellraiser composer] Christopher Young. Go fucking hire Christopher Young.” So they hired Christopher Young to do a cue like Hellraiser and he couldn’t get close enough to Hellraiser so they ended up licensing the cue from Hellraiser.
Old 10-14-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Let me put it this way, there is no amount of money that anybody could offer me to do Spider-Man 3. I would sooner go back to bussing tables,.

...was almost enough to make me feel like I didn’t want to make films anymore.

Damn. Those are some strong sentiments. Makes you want to know what went down. There had to be words, things thrown or something. Just arguing over some note cues and changes sounds a bit extreme to have the outcome of the two sentences in bold.