Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Danny Elfman badmouths Sam Raimi!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Danny Elfman badmouths Sam Raimi!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The theme's from Spider-Man, while not particularly great, are actually pretty recognizable to me. I can hear it in my head, and if I were to hear it somewhere I would recognize it immediately.

What about Batman Begins? I brought up the score a few times when the movie was first released and mentioned the lack of a recognizable theme and there were many that were quick to defend it because it fit the scenes so well.
Old 09-12-05, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
The theme's from Spider-Man, while not particularly great, are actually pretty recognizable to me. I can hear it in my head, and if I were to hear it somewhere I would recognize it immediately.

What about Batman Begins? I brought up the score a few times when the movie was first released and mentioned the lack of a recognizable theme and there were many that were quick to defend it because it fit the scenes so well.
I'd have to disagree. There is a theme there...and if you listen to the score, you'll hear it. Hell, I heard it the first time I saw the movie. I don't know much about musical terms but by comparison to some others, it's definitely not as melodic so it may seem half-assed, for lack of a better phrase. It may not stick out as being as "heroic" as other themes composed for movie superheros but yeah, it's definitely there.

In fact, I think I'll go put it on right now.

Batman Begins, to me, is where movie scores are going. You get (if you're lucky) one good main theme. Doesn't seem to be overplayed. It's just what it is. But the villains and other characters get nothing and most of what is written is underscoring. BB also adds a "love theme" to it as well which is part of what set it above the rest for me...besides my really liking the main theme as well as one of the later tracks.

But looking back on some of the scores that I fell in love with growing up as a child, this is all amateur bullshit. Hell, the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies would have suites of their own with each track standing apart with it's magic. Now...it's cookie-cutter underscoring.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 09-12-05 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-12-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of Elfman's music these days don't really have recognizable themes; he seems to focus a lot on the texture and sound than anything else. It's like Bernard Herrmann, who was great at orchestrations, but not exactly top of the list when it came to melodies.

Still, I miss the Elfman of old when he used far less (or no) electronics than he does now.
Old 09-12-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I don't know that I own really ANY scores that are for comedys.
It' a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a good one.
Old 09-12-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd have to disagree. There is a theme there...and if you listen to the score, you'll hear it. Hell, I heard it the first time I saw the movie. I don't know much about musical terms but by comparison to some others, it's definitely not as melodic so it may seem half-assed, for lack of a better phrase. It may not stick out as being as "heroic" as other themes composed for movie superheros but yeah, it's definitely there.
I didn't mean that there wasn't a theme at all. Just that it isn't recognizable; less so then Spider-Man's, and far less then the original Batman that it was being compared to in that thread.
Old 09-12-05, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I didn't mean that there wasn't a theme at all. Just that it isn't recognizable; less so then Spider-Man's, and far less then the original Batman that it was being compared to in that thread.
Completely agree.
Old 09-13-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as Spider-Man 3 is good I do not care. Raimi is a far better director than Elfman is a composer.
Old 09-13-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. Anyone can look at Elfman's body of work and see why nobody wants to work with him. What a hack.
Old 09-13-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I LOVE your signature!

Being a film score nut, I have read so much criticism about both "Spider-Man" scores, and while I don't bitch about composers and their music, I wouldn't really want to hear what (insert name here) comes up with for the third film, because I can't imagine not hearing Elfman's quiet, rhythmic string passages that opened both films...a kind of trademark that seemed to say, 'you are about to witness something very exciting...get ready.'

On a side note, I know all-too-well about film music criticism...I'm one of THE BIGGEST James Horner fans on the planet, and I don't think that needs any further elaboration.
Old 09-13-05, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I LOVE your signature!

Being a film score nut, I have read so much criticism about both "Spider-Man" scores, and while I don't bitch about composers and their music, I wouldn't really want to hear what (insert name here) comes up with for the third film, because I can't imagine not hearing Elfman's quiet, rhythmic string passages that opened both films...a kind of trademark that seemed to say, 'you are about to witness something very exciting...get ready.'

On a side note, I know all-too-well about film music criticism...I'm one of THE BIGGEST James Horner fans on the planet, and I don't think that needs any further elaboration.
My favorite film composer is the late, great Jerry Goldsmith. Listen to the score from: Basic Instinct, and especially The Final Conflict (Omen 3), if you have not already seen the movies. Symphonic orchestrations, and choir arrangements from The Final Conflict is superbly magnificent. A soundtrack that every movie score enthusiasts must hear, and observe.
Music is performed by: The National Philharmonic Orchestra.

Click on the link to read a tribute to Jerry Goldsmith, a list of his extensive credentials, and editorial reviews of selected film scores.

http://www.filmtracks.com/composers/goldsmith.shtml

Last edited by SINGLE104; 09-26-05 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I say Elman should quit composing and reform BOINGO for their 10th anniversary split ....

*wishful and foolish thinking*
This I could live with.
Old 09-13-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Whether or not a melody is "hummable" has got to be the most idiotic criterion to gauge its quality."

That is a very very true statement. Scores are "not hummable" on purpose, so as not to distract from the visuals. A score should push the screen events not steal the spotlight.
Old 09-13-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I want a Boingo tour.
Old 09-13-05, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ayre
"Whether or not a melody is "hummable" has got to be the most idiotic criterion to gauge its quality."

That is a very very true statement. Scores are "not hummable" on purpose, so as not to distract from the visuals. A score should push the screen events not steal the spotlight.
Interesting. Think of some of the greatest movie scores ever created. ALL are "hummable."
It's actually VERY logical.
Old 09-13-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kal-El
Heard of the show, never seen a single episode. Nor do I care to.
Wow. Is Fox hard to get at the Fortress of Solitude? I'm hardly the biggest Simpsons fan, but I think it is worth a look. I find it to be hilariously well written and not worthy of being dismissed without giving it a chance.
Old 09-13-05, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chente
Wow. Is Fox hard to get at the Fortress of Solitude? I'm hardly the biggest Simpsons fan, but I think it is worth a look. I find it to be hilariously well written and not worthy of being dismissed without giving it a chance.
"heard of the show"...

that's like saying "yeah....i heard of star wars."
Old 09-13-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Interesting. Think of some of the greatest movie scores ever created. ALL are "hummable."
It's actually VERY logical."

Are they ... or is just a small portion of the score hummable. Maybe we are interchanging Theme and Score. Most themes are hummable and that is the intent. A theme may only last a minute of the movie whereas a score could last an hour or more.

I do not think anyone here could hum the entire score for LoTR, yet many could hum 10 seconds of a theme.

Could you hum more than 10 seconds of any score? LOUDER !!!!! we can't hear you.
Old 09-13-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Zing!
Old 09-13-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I'd be happy if Ed Shearmur could score the next.
Old 09-13-05, 12:30 PM
Banned

"Interesting. Think of some of the greatest movie scores ever created. ALL are "hummable."
It's actually VERY logical."

Are they ... or is just a small portion of the score hummable. Maybe we are interchanging Theme and Score. Most themes are hummable and that is the intent. A theme may only last a minute of the movie whereas a score could last an hour or more.

I do not think anyone here could hum the entire score for LoTR, yet many could hum 10 seconds of a theme.

Could you hum more than 10 seconds of any score? LOUDER !!!!! we can't hear you.
Which Star Wars or Indiana Jones score would you like? I could give you my top 10 tracks. Perhaps ANY of John Williams scores?
Or as I said, my over 200 score CD's.

Take your pick, bitch. You're messing with the wrong forum member. I openly wept when I heard JW conduct a symphony because it was a dream come true. I was listening to movie scores since i was 4.
Old 09-13-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Which Star Wars or Indiana Jones score would you like? I could give you my top 10 tracks. Perhaps ANY of John Williams scores?
Or as I said, my over 200 score CD's.
You mean 200 Soundtracks ;-P

Do you even know the difference?

I was listening to movie scores since i was 4.
So for twelve years ;-P

-------------

You do understand that a score plays in the background.

A soundtrack is comprised of themes that play in the foreground.

Look at one of the Greatest (if not the) film composer. Can you hum the scores or just a snippet of a theme?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002136/

Take your pick, bitch. You're messing with the wrong forum member.
I think you have made us all aware of who I am dealing with ;-P

Last edited by Ayre; 09-13-05 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Good maybe we can get some fresh music on Spidey.. instead of re-hashed BeetlemanBatjuice.
I've noticed this too. All the music sounds the same now.
Old 09-13-05, 01:25 PM
Banned

You mean 200 Soundtracks ;-P

Do you even know the difference?

So for twelve years ;-P

-------------

You do understand that a score plays in the background.

A soundtrack is comprised of themes that play in the foreground.

Look at one of the Greatest (if not the) film composer. Can you hum the scores or just a snippet of a theme?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002136/

I think you have made us all aware of who I am dealing with ;-P
Actually...the SCORE is the orchestral music...and the soundtrack is usually one that's put out with various source cues. Again, someone who's in the soundtrack community would know that. Check again. i don't really buy "soundtracks." I'll only buy it if the score is a majority of what is included .

Actually...23 years. That statement alone decreased your reliability.

Sorry, his scores did not do much for me. I'm a Williams devotee and prefer more modern composers...which, i'm sure you'll have something nasty to say in response.
Old 09-13-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"heard of the show"...

that's like saying "yeah....i heard of star wars."
I was only responding to the question "ever hear about a show called the Simpsons?". Hence, the use of the word "heard". But to assuage all this nitpicking of my post, of course I know of the show. Still doesn't change the fact that I haven't seen, nor do I care to watch an episode of it.

I have Bart Simpson's "Deep Trouble" and "Do the Bartman" on mp3 though.
Old 09-13-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Interesting. Think of some of the greatest movie scores ever created. ALL are "hummable."
It's actually VERY logical.
I really think you're confusing great music with great film music. Certain types of films are better off with more melodic types of music, or following the leitmotif style of John Williams.

But no one can honestly sit there and say that this is THE way to score film music. There is no single way that defines good film music, and in many films cases strong melody would not only be out of place, but a horrible decision. Sometimes you have films with great music, but not really good music for the actually film. A lot of the time underscore IS the best choice for film scoring.

I think people are taking issue with the claim that movie scoring needs themes because, quite frankly, every film has different needs and no way can someone make a blanket statement like that and be correct. Of course films like Indy Jones and Star Wars are the movie scores people remember the most. It's because those soundtracks not only work (and stand out) within the film, but also are quite entertaining outside the film. But many films, usually less of the bombastic action adventure variety, require less and their film scores are quite frankly there to support the film alone, and as a listening experience less then thrilling.

There is no right way to score a film, it depends on the needs of hte film and director. But to pretend that strong thematic film scoring is the only way of course will annoy people, because music and film scoring has sooooo much more to it then just that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.