Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favourite RELIGIOUS Horror Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favourite RELIGIOUS Horror Movie

Old 09-11-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I don't know how God is the villian in THE RAPTURE. If you mean that because God doesn't Rapture his people till after Mimi wastes her daughter.
It clearly says in the Bible that no man knows the hour of the 2nd coming.
But what the movie does teach is not to follow false prophets like Jim Jones or David Koresh who lead their followers to doom.
Whatever preacher is telling his flock that Christ is returning on a certain day is a false prophet. It's goofs like that that give the non-believers amo on not to try christainity.
My take is that the movie posits that the fundamentalists' view is essentially right: that only those who accept Jesus Christ yadda-yadda-yadda will be saved. The Mimi Rogers character ultimately comes to realize that this is fundamentally unjust and evil (e.g. the Will Patton character who had never given a damn accepts it at the last minute and is saved; Mimi could get it even though she killed her daughter - albeit to "save" her as she thought at the time). She is offered the chance for eternal life in heaven with god - all she has to do is love god - and rejects it (even though she now knows it is true) because she now believes that this "plan of salvation" is unjust and evil and she cannot love such a god.

Since I believe that the fundamentalist Christian belief that god will punish people for their sincere and honest beliefs is the most evil concept I can imagine I most definitely see god as the villain of the film. Those who do not share my opinion may think otherwise.

Your guess as to why I might think god is the villain has never even occurred to me.

Last edited by movielib; 09-11-05 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-12-05, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe God's reason is that you may try to change things in Heaven if you put good people in Heaven who don't believe.
LIke if God took Mimi she would be pissed off and try and set her own ideas and start a revolt.

And THE OMEGA CODE is a good one too.
Old 09-12-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Maybe God's reason is that you may try to change things in Heaven if you put good people in Heaven who don't believe.

LIke if God took Mimi she would be pissed off and try and set her own ideas and start a revolt.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 09-12-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Satanist!!!
Old 09-12-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Satanist!!!

Old 09-13-05, 06:36 AM
Banned

Well, the story of Job has God making a bet with Satan.
Now Job loses his family & home from raiders and he comes down with a sickness, but he never curses God. So God wins the bet.
Now Job asks God why he allowed this to happen to him and God in a way says why should I tell you you weren't around when I created the world.
But God gives Job another and better blessed life and lives for a very long time.
So God has his reasons for why he does things.
He banned Adam & Eve just for eating the forbitten fruit, with no 2nd chances!
Remember God flooded the world and had Noah & his family and the animals in the ark survive.
And he destroyed Sodom & Gomorra.
And he allowed his only begotten son Jesus be crusified.
And he didn't destroy Satan when he started his revolt, now for him he has a more just punishment in the end.

Another movie is from 1975's BEYOND THE DOOR with Juliet Mills.
Old 09-13-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My favorite, probably next to the Exorcist would be "Day of the Beast" (Día de la bestia, El). I'm thinking its a spanish(or portugal flick. The dubbed version is crap(of course) but the movie in itself is great. It has its cheesy moments but it is still a great horror flick.
Old 09-14-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many great mentions, with my favorite lying with the original Exorcist.

However, I also enjoyed The Ninth Configuration. Was that a religious horror movie?