Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the Living Dead 4 & 5: October 15th on the Sci-Fi Channel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-07-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the Sci-Fi channel's website, the films will debut at 7pm on Saturday, October 15th.

Before the films, Day of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead 3 will be shown.

I think the films will be truly awful, but i'll still tune in.
Old 09-07-05, 03:59 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
I think the films will be truly awful, but i'll still tune in.
Same here.
Old 09-07-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 133 Posts
From the trailers I saw a little while back..........same here.
Old 09-07-05, 07:02 PM

it does sound bad but ill check it out.
Old 09-07-05, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
part 5 was absolutely atrocious when i saw it last year. i'll be interested to see how they fixed it up in its final (though edited) form. I hope to God the 2nd half of the movie doesn't play with an entire techno soundtrack...
Old 09-07-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since they were dumb enough to title the film "Rave to the Grave", I wouldn't be surprised if the filmmakers were actually dumb enough to give it an entirely techno soundtrack.

I spoke to people who saw the film last year also, and they said part 4 was slightly enjoyable on a "So stupid it's sorta-good" level, and part 5 was mind numbingly awful.
Old 09-07-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll watch them out of curiousity.
Old 09-08-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Feh. Bad movies cut to ribbons for television, with commercials? Pass.
Old 10-15-05, 12:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Happening tomorrow!
Old 10-15-05, 11:58 AM

There on today, before these movies air there showing day of the dead at 3 and return of the living dead 3 at 5.
Old 10-15-05, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 10-15-05, 10:22 PM

I was fully expecting this level of suckitude.

Anyone notice how the "survivors" of part 4 seemingly have memory loss in part 5? Hmm, those kids are zombies...."they should be taken to the hospital." WTF? Tarman zomvie hitchhikes holding a sign that says "rave or bust"? Were these films set in America (not where were they filmed but where the story itself is supposed to take place)? If it's America then what the HELL is up with all the foreign accents? The films also don't seem too sure on how to kill the zombies either. Part 4 they make it clear to shoot them in the head then eventually you can shoot 'em anywhere and put a stop to them. Part 5 is the same way except you can shove drumsticks in their ears and that's good enough too. So much for following the rules of the first film right? Oh yeah, the zombies don't run again.

245 Trioxin is just Trioxin 5 now. What the HELL was up with Peter Coyote's facial expression? Yeah, expression, he had ONE look on his face throughout the films. Watch for yourself.

The acting is about as bad as you can imagine, editing is sloppy, the films have that blurry DV-quality look, direction is strictly amateurish, dear god I could go on in more detail but it'd be a waste of time.

Folks, ROTLD part 2 looks like a friggin masterpiece compared to 4 & 5. They're THAT bad.

They have completely spat upon Dan O'Bannon's work. They gave two nods to the original, "send more security guards" was the line this time around and of course a cheap imitation of Tarman.

These flicks were worse than I thought they'd be. Do yourself a favor, skip them completely.
Old 10-15-05, 10:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I don't get... these movies were shot in Romania and Ukraine. They had the perfect opportunity to be creative and utilize these locations by coming up with a story set in these places. The gloomy Eastern Europe feel would be pretty cool for a zombie film, but instead they just try to pass it off as America. Just so lazy. I'm only 45 minutes into part 4, so I guess my full comments will be later (if I make it all the way through).
Old 10-15-05, 11:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So many things break the ROTLD "rules".

The infected people "turn" almost instantly. I know they did this for "shock" value, but in none of the cases it was shocking or even surprising.

A bullet to the head killing the zombies? Argh. Just simple things yet they couldn't even get them right.

Edit: I take it back. 3/4 into part 4 I'm almost glad they didn't follow the ROTLD rules, because it helps me ignore this as being a true ROTLD film. This movie is just so retarded it's unbelievable. The fight scene with the zombies was stupid as hell. Who the **** headbutts a brain-eating zombie... and twice no less! Zombies being killed by snapped necks and bullets to the chest? WTF?

Last edited by DRG; 10-15-05 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 10:28 AM

I admit they were bad but i was expecting them to be bad so i didnt care. I somewhat enjoyed part 5 because it was so stupid and had a few funny parts. There were alot of plot holes, bad acting, and of course not following the ROTLD rules. It almost seems like an untitled zombie movie that they just slaped ROTLD names on them.
Old 10-16-05, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Holy crap. I missed part 4 but woundup catching most of Part 5...WTF is with the security guards? After about 5 minutes I relized they were not taking this movie seriously and just learned to live with it. If this the first in Zombie history where a Zombie gives a little oral pleasure to a human?
Old 10-19-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watche 4 on the DVR. I was a real crapfest. What was the deal with the Borg? At least the soundtrack had Godsmack and Alice Cooper on it. I wonder if they got royalties (yah right)
Old 10-22-05, 07:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Good gravy these were horrible. However, if you enjoy repeated scenes of:

1. Zombies biting off the back of somebody's skull.

and

2. Somebody running out of ammo at an inopportune time.

Then these movies are for you!

My favorite part: in order to show that a character is "scientific," he is shown wearing a lab coat and holding a test tube. AT A PARTY!