Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Brokeback Mountain" : A Modern Classic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Brokeback Mountain" : A Modern Classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
The issue isn't which film is better. The issue is more like which movie was seen by the Academy."
This is pretty sad, if true.

I wonder if it's possible these rumors are just started to try to get people interested in watching the Oscars? If everyone thinks all the major categories are locks, then viewership would probably go down.
Old 02-17-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
I wonder if it's possible these rumors are just started to try to get people interested in watching the Oscars? If everyone thinks all the major categories are locks, then viewership would probably go down.
The only thing worse than bad publicity...
Old 02-17-06, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duality
Nominations/Wins can signify many things. I wouldn't be so quick to infer that those nominations imply Crash is some sort of masterpiece, like To Kill A Mockingbird or Brokeback Mountain.
Oh come ON! So Crash can't possibly be a "masterpiece" and BBM can? The BBM nominations prove it's a "masterpiece" but it means shit about Crash? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Do those blinders come in different colors?
Old 02-17-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the judgment of something being a "masterpiece" is VERY subjective and is not an absolute. Brokeback Mountain may be a masterpiece to one person and not another -- same with Crash or Munich or Capote or Good Night and Good Luck, but THIS thread's title is "Brokeback Mountain": A Modern Classic.

I'm just saying....
Old 02-17-06, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oies.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-06, 05:00 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=censored
Old 02-17-06, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I think the judgment of something being a "masterpiece" is VERY subjective and is not an absolute. Brokeback Mountain may be a masterpiece to one person and not another -- same with Crash or Munich or Capote or Good Night and Good Luck, but THIS thread's title is "Brokeback Mountain": A Modern Classic.

I'm just saying....
Completely agree. But the prevailing attitude is that it IS a masterpiece because so-and-so says it is so that means anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I look at this from my perspective. I can't imagine EVER going into a movie forum and belittling and arguing with people because they didnt' love a movie that I loved. What's the point? That's what makes the world go round. Nothing is perfect. The only perfection that exists is in our own point of view and to inflict that opinion on others (and to insult them for having a differing one) is foolish.
Old 02-19-06, 02:27 PM
Banned

My parents just got back from seeing the movie with my grandmother.
I had been waiting to discuss the movie with them because I didn't want to taint their impressions of it. Plus, it seems like most every str8 person I know who had seen it, loved it. So I waited.

Their impressions? They all 3 agreed that it was far too long. My dad said he could have done without the sex scene (*snicker*). My mom said she didn't have a problem with it being there but more to do with the fact that it was violent (bingo!). They disagreed with me in that they saw the love between the two of them (whereas I did not) but they don't understand what everyone is raving about. As my father said, "well done but uninteresting." They completely agreed that it wasn't very positive for gay people and thought that Family Stone (which they had suggested to me) should have gotten more acclaim from gay press.

So more or less, my family agreed with my issues. Does this prove anything? Not at all. But since people had been mentioning how their family reacted, I just wanted to throw another 2 cents into this (and hope that they doen't fall into the same scrutiny that I did in not liking it).
Old 02-20-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Brokeback' Takes Four Prizes in London
Sunday February 19 6:12 PM ET

"Brokeback Mountain" took four awards including best picture Sunday at the British Academy Film Awards, boosting its hopes for the Oscars in two weeks' time.

The film beat out a literary biopic "Capote," L.A. story "Crash," 1950s drama "Good Night, and Good Luck" and the British favorite "The Constant Gardener."

"The Constant Gardener," a spy thriller and love story, went into the ceremony with 10 nominations, but took only one award, for editing. "Memoirs of a Geisha" won three awards, for cinematography, music and costume design.

Ang Lee was named best director for "Brokeback," which is up for eight Academy Awards on March 5. Jake Gyllenhaal won the best supporting actor prize for playing Jack Twist, one of two cowpokes who fall in love over the course of a Wyoming summer.

Gyllenhaal said onstage that the movie, whose commercial success is unprecedented for a gay-themed film, "means even more to me socially than it does artistically."

"I've had a lot of people say to me after the film, to my surprise, 'Thank you for making it,'" Gyllenhaal told reporters backstage. "It's made a social impression, and that social impression to me is the aftermath of an artistic impression, and so much more important."

Lee thanked the British people for their support.

"I don't know what makes me so connect to you," he said. "I'm pretty sure it's not the food."

Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, who adapted Annie Proulx's short story, won the adapted screenplay prize.

Gyllenhaal's co-star Heath Ledger was beaten out for the best-actor prize by Philip Seymour Hoffman for his depiction of the troubled writer Truman Capote in "Capote."

Two weeks before our Academy Awards - the anticipation is building!
Old 02-20-06, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duality
Gyllenhaal said onstage that the movie, whose commercial success is unprecedented for a gay-themed film, "means even more to me socially than it does artistically."

"I've had a lot of people say to me after the film, to my surprise, 'Thank you for making it,'" Gyllenhaal told reporters backstage. "It's made a social impression, and that social impression to me is the aftermath of an artistic impression, and so much more important."
Honest question: is this the first time any of the participants openly acknowledged the gay community even being associated with this?
Old 02-20-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honest question: is this the first time any of the participants openly acknowledged the gay community even being associated with this?
I believe Jake made a similar comment on Oprah. I *know* Ang has mentioned the gay community - specifically the situation gays have to deal with in America (the religious right-wing). He stated that his home country, Taiwan, is much more accepting of gay-themed films.
Old 02-21-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this movie wins best pic, it will be well deserved. I think Good Night and Good Luck was the best technical film of the year, but we know Oscar loves emotion, and this movie has it. And it's well made. Really neck and neck, in a weak year, but I'll give this movie a nod.

It's about unrequited love as much as anything. It had a lot of hype and largely delievered in my mind. Well done by all, and special congrats to the leads for taking a great risk to buergoning leading man careers.
Old 02-22-06, 11:22 AM
Banned

Was just on another board and someone made the comment "Sorry, didn't mean to get all Brokeback on you."

Very very strange. Has anyone heard this phrase used in real life now?
Old 02-22-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://destinationdaniel.smugmug.com...678/1/56771253

Lovely Lego Brokeback action!
Old 02-22-06, 11:57 AM

Ang and Jake received awards at the HRC gala in NYC two weeks ago. (Jake had to do it via video). I would say that is acknowledging the gay community.

Also on Leno, Jake said a fan sent him a Harper Lee-signed copy of To Kill A Mockingbird (his favorite book) as "a thank you" for making Brokeback Mountain.
Old 02-22-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was just on another board and someone made the comment "Sorry, didn't mean to get all Brokeback on you."

Quite often as a matter of fact.
Old 02-22-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh yeah, we use it as shorthand when talking about people getting a little too clingy to others of the same sex (we have this one married guy who's always asking this other father of 2 out for lunch, all innocently, but it's fun to describe such a lunch outing as "going brokeback", really, all in good fun, though the married guy never asks anyone else, and the father of 2 is only lukewarm about accepting invites, but he does on occasion because it helps grease the working wheel when it comes to getting work done, so to speak).
Old 02-23-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tonight, BBM got some love on "Dancing with the Stars", but then quickly got a diss from Drew Lachey after one of the judges suggested that he could star in BBM: The Musical, and then Drew grabbed his cowboy hat and covered his butt with it. Perhaps that will cost him and his dance partner some vote from the Brokeback demographic, or not.

Last edited by Patman; 02-23-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How's this for random? More evidence of the movie's impact both at home and abroad...

Brokeback Diplomacy

In a speech Thursday, the President of Taiwan, Chen shui-bian, compared U.S.-Taiwan relations to Brokeback Mountain, which is packing 'em in at theaters there.

In a speech to more than 500 American business leaders in Taipei, Chen said, "There is a 'Brokeback Mountain' in each and every one of us...It motivates us...to understand all of us are bound to make difficult decisions in life, yet we must strive to dispel prejudice...and seek ways to reconcile and cooperate with one another...I deeply believe that the common pursuit of a 'great new world' by both Taiwan and the United States will guide us to a place where universal values - democracy, freedom, peace and prosperity - can be fully realized in the world we share."

(via towleroad)

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../24/2003294381
Old 02-26-06, 04:47 PM
Banned

"Nobody is saying anything officially, but the hot talk this week in Hollywood has the "Will & Grace" team frantically trying to get Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal to re-enact that Brokeback kiss on the peacock network's sitcom.

In Touch magazine says the pair is interested but won't make a decision until after the Academy Awards have taken place.

Stay tuned."
Old 02-26-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Boodocks cartoon strip had a week of gags based on "Brokeback" being a new slang term in the Urban Dictionary.

For what it's worth, here's my two sentence review of Brokeback Mountain.

It's not as bad as everyone is claiming. It's not as good as everyone is saying.
Old 02-27-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joefrog91
The Boodocks cartoon strip had a week of gags based on "Brokeback" being a new slang term in the Urban Dictionary.

For what it's worth, here's my two sentence review of Brokeback Mountain.

It's not as bad as everyone is claiming. It's not as good as everyone is saying.
Thanks for that detailed review joe.
Old 02-27-06, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by riley_dude
How's this one for ya?

Was listening to one of the major stations today here in NYC and they were talking about the odds BBM is being given for best picture. One of the DJ's went on to say that everyone he knows who has seen it has disliked it. Another piped in and said "well, they're probably afraid to say that they liked it because then people will think they're gay." The other responded and said "no no...one is a woman in her 40's. Everyone just thinks it's extremely slow moving and uninteresting. They don't feel anything for the main characters."

Guess it's just a movie that you either "get" or don't.
Old 02-27-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Details, details

Originally Posted by riley_dude
A better review can be read in The Advocate this week. The cover alone is heartwarming.
Old 02-27-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess it's just a movie that you either "get" or don't.
Which I think we figured out on about page two of this thread.

I'll check out the Advocate article Duality.

I watched it again this weekend (at home) and it's still as affective if not more the second time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.