Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TheFog remake - reviews & thoughts [spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TheFog remake - reviews & thoughts [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm STILL trying to get over the wretched POS that the new "The Fog" remake was. Holy crap!

I was literally DRAGGED to see this on Sunday. I had hoped there'd be something in it worthwhile. There wasn't. I even watched the original before I saw it Sunday afternoon. Big mistake as the remake looked even worse in comparison,

I'm sitting here trying to think of a single decent thing to say about the remake and I can't. *Everything* was bad. I laugh when I think of Tom Welling and the director saying it's more "sophisticated" than the original, LOL! Who are they trying to kid?

How does this little, all white fishing community land ONE black dude from the ghetto? Was this their lame way of adding some racial equality? It's made worse as the black character is the single most annoying one in the bunch so obviously I wanted him to die first.

Just why did the filmmakers decide to tie in the characters by making them related to the town's founding fathers? Does everything have to fit in perfectly so the idiotic teen audience can "get it"? No blood? Watch Father Malone get run through with the glass shards at the end, they look pristine without a single drop on them! I've seen more gore on *TV*!

There are scenes and dialogue lifted straight from the original but don't come off nearly as well. Why? Shitty direction but more importantly, shitty acting. Tom Welling is just another pretty face who will easily be forgotten in 2-3 years. I can't even remember the names of the rest of the cast besides Selma Blair (and BTW, just HOW in the hell can she be her age and have a kid THAT old? Did she give birth when she was 12 or something?)

Man alive, couldn't John Carpenter have spoken up at all? He WAS one of the producers afterall. Like "Hey Wainwright, this is becoming a major crapfest. Maybe you wanna change something?"

At least twice I wanted to walk out of the theater. I can't remember the last time that thought ran through my mind. Now we know why Sony didn't want to screen this for critics, it's downright brutal. I'm still thinking it just wasn't a movie but random scenes quickly cut together, a student film "tribute" that wasn't finished yet.

"The Fog" is the worst film of the year.
Old 10-17-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
Selma Blair (and BTW, just HOW in the hell can she be her age and have a kid THAT old? Did she give birth when she was 12 or something?)
Selma's 33.....the kid who played her son is 11. Not that big a strech.
Old 10-17-05, 05:41 PM

It was an ok movie. Nothing special. Kinda gets you thinking. It should have been R though.
Old 10-17-05, 05:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Michael Allred

Man alive, couldn't John Carpenter have spoken up at all? He WAS one of the producers afterall. Like "Hey Wainwright, this is becoming a major crapfest. Maybe you wanna change something?"
It was just a title, not a creative role. Besides, nobody listens to Carpenter anymore.

You'd be better off blaming the late Debra Hill, who pushed this remake through development.
Old 10-18-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
I actually wouldn't mind these PG-13 horror films if they were any good or at least fun.

The problem for me is that they suck. Not only do they suck, but they just arent any fun either.

A movie can stink, but still be a fun theater experience. These movies don't even accomplish that. It's pure boredom checking the watch type of stuff.

Thank god I had a free movie ticket. I would have walked out and demanded my money back. I do mean that literally. I still should have been offered free passes to view another film of choice after having to sit through this.
The thing is, it's Hollywood manufaturing these movies. Gotta get the young teens in there so have to cast good looking people and make it a PG-13 rating. With that, the film stops being what it should be and becomes Product.

Fangoria article...

http://www.fangoria.com/fearful_feature.php?id=4893
Old 10-18-05, 12:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by riley_dude

Selma Blair is pretty?
Old 10-18-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well...Tom is.
Old 10-18-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the best review of the movie that I have seen. Very funny...

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21562